Why such long threads for specific vapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I am not trying to be a trouble maker or anything, BUT I was wondering why each specific vaporizer does not have it's own section within the Vaporizer Discussion forum? Instead they have their own threads that cover all kinds of topics pertaining to the vape. These threads are dozens of pages deep, and are impossible to read completely, or to search.

If there was a forum for MFLB (for example), people could ask their questions by starting new threads. The threads would then be searchable and you would not have to read through hundreds of posts to find what you need.

Anyway... I love this place and the people here have helped me a LOT. Maybe it was a good thing to read through hundreds of pages all about a certain vaporizer, I don't know, hehe.

Tstat,

lwien

Tstat said:
These threads are dozens of pages deep, and are impossible to read completely, or to search.

Not impossible. I read through each of the vapes threads before I made a purchase and from all the things that I have read since, I'm glad I did, for it made me a pro with each specific model before I even got it in the mail. By reading them through, you will find out things that you never knew and therefore would not even know the question to ask..............if that makes any sense.

lwien,

flowmotion

It's also a bit challenging to search threads (unless I'm missing something :p)

flowmotion,

crawdad

floatin
when searching you can alter the results to be posts instead of thread so you get specific replies instead of a result of a thread that is 77 pages long that has your search results somewhere in there.

i found it odd as well fwiw when i first joined but can understand the reason for it since so many different topics would have interesting information about the same device yet be all over the place. for someone wanting just about *all* of the information on one device they now only need to look at one thread, for a couple days.

crawdad,

flowmotion

Yea I did what you mentioned above. However, I don't see the ability to search a thread, which would be great (considering the massive length of them)

flowmotion,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Yeah i wish there was a way for the threads to have some sort of list of specific topics discussed within them, like an index, but the problem would be how to sort the post, people would have to select a sub-topic when submitting their posts or maybe they could be auto sorted based on auto-detected keywords in them, which would be assigned to different sub-topics of the vape-specific thread.

i.e. someone makes a post in the (insanely long) MFLB thread that has "cleaning" in it would be automatically grouped with similar posts under the sub-topic "Cleaning" that could be listed on the first page in mentioned index layout. Likewise, someone posting something with "batteries" and "buy" would go under a sub-topic where people could easily find recommendations for replacement/better batteries. It would just be up to the topic starter to pre-assign the keywords to different conversational topics. The posts in threads would, of course, still be viewable chronologically, like they're currently sorted. this would just be an option for sorting things by topic.

or topic starters could just do a lot of constantly updating the first post with updated news and information.

steiner666,

hereatlast

I agree with lwien, not impossible and very beneficial IME.

If you're using Firefox there's a methodology to searching within a single thread. That info. is in the 'search sticky.'

Personally, I think the way FC is formatted works well. One progression that I think has been partially handled by better vaporpedia maintenance would be to have the first page (post if possible) contain a 'dummy's how to' guide...I think this would cut down on a lot of the redundancy in the long vape specific threads.

Either way, a slew of new topics often get buried quickly IME. Also, there's a tendency for them to go unanswered. Finally, its frustrating to see new topics seeking for already answered questions and information. I think a lot of those questions could be successfully routed to proper threads or vaporpedia pages. :2c:

hereatlast,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
"Maybe it was a good thing to read through hundreds of pages all about a certain vaporizer". Yea, that is what I was saying, lwien.

But for instance, now I think I may have a problem with my LB. I KNOW I read of similar problems in that giant thread. But, I can't find the posts. That forces me to ask a question that I know has been answered. It's either that or try to go through 200 plus pages again, hehe :)

If there was a forum for MFLB, I would first search the forum (NOT the same as searching through a thread) and then start a new thread if I could not find the answer. People would then be able to EASILY see the thread header and respond (or not).

So, yea, I did read through most of the threads when I was thinking of purchasing. And I am also glad I did. But now I don't want to read it all again, LOL. I say give each brand their own forum. Keep the "official" thread as a sticky, but let people discuss different problems/solutions in threads pertaining to that particular subject.

That said, I am going to spend some time with my LB, as it looks like I might have to send her in for some work!

Tstat,

lwien

Tstat said:
I say give each brand their own forum. Keep the "official" thread as a sticky, but let people discuss different problems/solutions in threads pertaining to that particular subject.

I like that idea too. :)

lwien,

AcADIeN

Sylvain
Tstat said:
I say give each brand their own forum. Keep the "official" thread as a sticky, but let people discuss different problems/solutions in threads pertaining to that particular subject.

I, too, like this idea

AcADIeN,

vape4health

That sounds like it would work , so like I could go to the official thread or go to a sub thread thats only about say cleaning that one vape . Just my :2c:

vape4health,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Well, I am sure the mods have their reasons for setting it up like this. I am an unemployed web guy, so when I hang out and vape, I start getting ideas. Some might be good, others not so much, hehe.

It could be that they just didn't think of it when they set this up, and now it is just status quo. Either way, this place is much nicer and friendlier than other places, like RIU. :rolleyes:

Tstat,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
First, the moderators are somewhat limited by the software they chose. I understand it can be modified but I don't know whether they have the time or skills to do that. This is, after all, a free service and you can expect only so much from your hosts.

Second, there are techniques you can use to extend the admittedly limited search function here. If you use Firefox, see:

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=96014#p96014

For a more general approach, use Google:

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=95952#p95952

This thread has given me an idea, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to implement. What I have in mind is something that could build an index from the FluxBB database and post it at regular intervals. That would be a useful plugin. Since I was interested in using FluxBB myself for another purpose, I will look into this, but don't hold your breath.

pakalolo,

PuffnPass

Proud Vaporist
I think you'd be surprised how many vaporists there are out there that feel a special friendship/attachement with their vapes, that come in all shapes and sizes, and they like to hear about others experiences with them too. It's like something we share. And also I wouldn't be the first to point out that people definitly have brilliant and very helpful information on usage, preservation, and other vape tips. The long threads = the crazy amount of love for these groovy devices.

PuffnPass,

g124v17y

lol i have nothing against the love :D ;) or discussion of topics of all sorts, that are specifically related to a single vape, but i do not think the site was designed this way lol. Seeing 100 page forums is very rare because this defeats the purpose of the internet! Books with hundreds of pages of mind numbing information with absolutely no way of searching through the madness to find what youre looking for, are still there! lol :lol: but with the internet we can easily search for EXACTLY what we want, when we want it! Now picture the internet in all its glory, and understand that it is made up of a collection of information that HUMAN BEINGS gather and organize. So, now you look in a forum, which is the section of the internet that is NOT in any way regulated by a government or outside influence. So subconsciously your mind is already telling you that most of what you read here is probably bull shit or heresay. Now, I assume, that most people have some sort of experience with the outside world and its 'people', and that those people also assume that most 'people' are incompetent fools because of this experience. ;) so because this is an actual "good" forum with mostly intelligent people on it, still does not mean that we want to read through a good portion of a 100 page forum that is simply people arguing, not saying anything of consequence, and/or reasking questions that have already been answered. Since most people who surf the web spend very little time on each website (i think the average is like 2.8 seconds) you could see why even the sight of a 100 page forum is a turn off. You could argue that this is what has kept the population here at FC so intelligent and not overrun by the scum of the earth like other MJ forums, but I digress. (always wanted to say that :p )

i second the idea for individual subforums to be made for each vape, and the original threads be made sticky and labeled PLEASE READ BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS. I doubt the mods here ever expected the threads to become so long and unorganized... but they keep adding more sections and detail. Thats how forums work, the more detailed the topics, the easier it is to find the information you are looking for, but it is impossible to forsee what sections will need more detailed forums. This is also what seperates a "good" forum design from a "bad" one, the ease of finding the information that the forum advertises. Which is why I like FC ;) having mods that are involved with the people on the forum and listen and make the forum better for everyone is exactly what places like these need. I've ran forums in the past and know how difficult it can be to keep everyone happy, so thanks FC mods! :D

g124v17y,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom