Why I love Sativas so much.

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
The cbd isolate added in is very good advice @asdf420 The past few days I've really been having some pain so been supplementing cbd with my high thc sativa meds and it definitely improves the chill side, back spasms are reduced, pain is reduced, irritability is reduced. Guessing I'm probably doing a 3:1 or somewhere in that neighborhood. Still feels euphoric as hell but more of an 8 instead of 11 :D Also mixing the strains is really good too, sometimes when you get a ton of different cannabinoids you can really feel supercharged in a good way. If I dont have a hybrid of choice around, I'll take a sativa and indica mix, seems to do the trick, and then some. My favorite rosin as far as effects had 5 different strains, mostly sativas or sativa dominants.

Mr.Kite

Would a Sativa still work in an energizing sativa way if it was 1:1 (THC:CBD) ratio ?

do those strains exist ?

Mr.Kite,
Reactions: shredder

Squiby

Would a Sativa still work in an energizing sativa way if it was 1:1 (THC:CBD) ratio ?

do those strains exist ?
I think everyone's experience may be different, but for me, I only get truly energizing effects from vaping small amounts of the landrace sativas like Durban Poison, Acapulco Gold, Lambs Bread etc.

The sativa heavy hybrids that have an equal amount of THC/CBD don't energize me very much or sedate me but keep me more in a balanced and functional state.

For me the landrace sativas are truly energizing.

shredder

do those strains exist ?

It depends. You really can't make blanket statements because of so many variables not the least of are terpenes. Then add in 70 some cannabinoids in unknown combinations.

I grow cannatonic #4. (15%cbd, .5% thc) For me, when I add it to any other herbs it makes the combo more uplifting, and my buzz is more clear headed.

Also I find sativas that taste citrusy are more energizing than those that do not have those types of terpenes. But that doesn't mean you or other users would have to same effects. As in example some sativas can cause anxiety for some, and the same herb helps anxiety in others.

Alex3oe

Accessory Maker
I'm doing weed/hash for nearly 25 years now. To be honest, I couldn't feel and didn't believe in huge differences between Sativa and Indica, at least what I had tried. Until some months ago.

Caused by illegality you never know exactly what you get your hands on here. Most are hybrids I think. Long ago I did some growing, where AK47 got my most favorite strain, maybe this was a first sign. Sometimes we can obtain a little bit of Bedrocan, what's called to be a Sativa. But no uplifting effect for me.

Nevertheless, some months ago the Indica-Sativa discussion started once more, with a guy I met on a party. He told me, caused by the fact there's nearly no 100% Sativa strain around but most hybrids, some people wouldn't get much of the Sativa effects, even a low Indica part is enough to kill all what comes from the Sativa. Don't know if that's true.
And he passed me over a bit of what he called a real 100% Sativa, grown indoor by some old hippy friends of his parents, doing this for decades.
For indoor the buds didn't look like what I would tell a good weed. Not dense, with quite some leaves, not much smell, like bad European outdoor. However, the typical Sativa flowers are painted this style in older, illustrated books, maybe you've seen.
So I was very sceptical first. It wasn't the potentest also, had to vape two bigger FlowerPots, but then WOW.

Never ever had such great, positive, uplifting feelings and state of mind after doing weed. Had some problems the last years with light depressions and lack of motivation. Nearly totally gone. Started to clean my flat and after another FlowerPot I even did some annoying paper work I had kicked down the road for quite some time. Loved that stuff and need to get my hands on weed with such great effects on me.

Nina

Whatever I smoke the effect seem pretty much the same to me
I'd imagine that the effects you get depend to some extent on individual brain chemistry, the distribution and concentration of various cannabinoid receptors.... And other things like that

Nina,

Mr.Kite

Man, I need me some "mellow sativa for motivation and concentration.
but without racy heart, shizo-paranoid thoughts and depressed lethartic state afterwards

durban poison ?

Last edited:

Squiby

but without racy heart, shizo-paranoid thoughts and depressed lethartic state afterwards

durban poison ?
I'm pretty laid back and have never really experienced much anxiety, paranoia or raciness from weed. So YMMV.

Duran Poison is an absolute energizer but only when vaped in small quantities. I vape about 0.015 grams, just a tiny nug, for a wonderful clear headed high that is motivating and energizing. I repeat that tiny amount every few hours. More than that can couch lock me into staring out the window lost in random thoughts.

In small amounts, it's great for getting the things done that need getting done, with no crashing come down. You just slowly ease out of it. The other side benefit of Durban Poison is that it has a high level of THCV, which suppresses appetite. So no munches.

For a bit less intense bud, I like anything Thai.

shredder

durban poison ?

Columbian gold and blue dream may work for you.

Something we really havnt covered but the grower of the herb can make a difference too. Flowers taken a little early can be very racy but it doesn't last long, while buds taken later than normal can be couch locky, both with the same genetics. How healthy the plants are and what they eat can also affect terpene levels.

Gazaam

Just got some Durban Poison Live Resin by Phyto 2.0 Extractions. Wonderful stuff. Gives me extremely lucid concentration for solving difficult problems and also a heightened sense of beauty when I take pictures.

I believe this effect can be enhanced by adding a bit of pinene, which I now have ordered.

Speaking of landraces, I have not seen a mention of Red Congolese. It is on my list to try. Any of you ever had it?

CalyxSmokr

durban poison ?
not the durban poison I had but I don't think there is a single cut of durban.
maybea jack herer. I had an atmosphere og and even some cookie cuts that I don't notice the indica in. otherwise I am all sativa and don't want any sluggish body high.
probably go with a sativa dom hybrid if you have issues

CalyxSmokr,

Gazaam

You could try a pure sativa extract and then tone it down by adding in some myrcene. Myrcene is the terpene that mellows out sativa high and makes it more relaxed and indica-like. Myrcene seems to control this much more than CBD.

Gazaam,

shredder

You could try a pure sativa extract and then tone it down by adding in some myrcene. Myrcene is the terpene that mellows out sativa high and makes it more relaxed and indica-like. Myrcene seems to control this much more than CBD.

Do you have a supporting link for this advice? I googled it and could not find anything. I know it's primarily a indica terpene, and has seditive qualities, but I'm unaware that it counteracts a sativa experience.

shredder,

Gazaam

Here you go:

https://prohbtd.com/how-thc-and-myrcene-interact

I got some beta-myrcene from Amazon, and about 1/2 "drop" (see below) added to about 200 mg. of a strong Sativa oil will mellow it out nicely. Notice I said "mellow it out", not "counteract". LOL

The nice thing about this approach is that you can tweak the formula and get it exactly they way you want it to be.

When I say "drop" I mean the tiny droplet that forms at the sharp tip of a tapered cylindrical toothpick. Put the 1/2 "drop" into your atty first, then the 200 mg. The first time you turn it on, let it all melt together for a few seconds.

Beta myrcene is present in a lot of fruits and flowers. It is asserted anecdotally that if you eat a mango (quite high in beta myrcene) about a half hour before you toke up, you will get a more intense high and it will last longer. I think you can probably find beta myrcene extracted from cannabis on ebay and perhaps even amazon. The taste may be slightly different. Beta myrcene is not a regulated substance.

Last edited:
Gazaam,

shredder

Sativa fan here too. Indicas just depress me. That said, hybrids work too.

I agree. I'm not a fan of couchlock. I like the clear headed effect from sativas. After years of mj use I really don't get the anxiety that some people get from sativas. When they get a little racey, I like to ride that wave. But mostly I micro dose sativas and do not get wasted.

hinglemccringleberry

Sativa fan here too. Indicas just depress me. That said, hybrids work too.

Sativas depress me. I like getting high, not thinking about what the apocalypse has in store for me. Sativas couchlock me more than indicas, they spool up my brain so hard that it makes me physically tired and "stuck". Either that or they just make me stupid. If I want clearheadedness I have to avoid sativas like the plague.

Last edited:

shredder

Sativas depress me. I like getting high, not thinking about what the apocalypse has in store for me. Sativas couchlock me more than indicas, they spool up my brain so hard that it makes me physically tired and "stuck". Either that or they just make me stupid. If I want clearheadedness I have to avoid sativas like the plague.

Different strokes I guess. One persons panic attack is another persons (me) thrill ride. The good news is we have lots of choices.

Gazaam

Sativas depress me. I like getting high, not thinking about what the apocalypse has in store for me. Sativas couchlock me

You are a member of a very small majority, friend. Not everybody's brain cells respond identically to identical doses. When an individual has a reaction that is 180 degree out of phase with everybody else's, it's called a "paradoxical" reaction.

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that there are numerous psychoactive cannabinoids in each strain of weed, leading to some confusion about which cannabinoids are responsible for exactly which effects in a case such as yours. BUT ... look at the positive side :)) Think of all those experiments you'll have try over and over in your quest for the perfect toke. LOL. The important thing to remember at the outset is that if your reactions are "contrary" to those normally experienced by others, you may be able to capitalize on this to predict your most likely physiological responses to a new preparation.

One last thing: it is known that human genetics plays THE major role in how we respond to cannabis entourage dosing.

Last edited:

hinglemccringleberry

You are a member of a very small majority, friend. Not everybody's brain cells respond identically to identical doses. When an individual has a reaction that is 180 degree out of phase with everybody else's, it's called a "paradoxical" reaction.

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that there are numerous psychoactive cannabinoids in each strain of weed, leading to some confusion about which cannabinoids are responsible for exactly which effects in a case such as yours. BUT ... look at the positive side :)) Think of all those experiments you'll have try over and over in your quest for the perfect toke. LOL. The important thing to remember at the outset is that if your reactions are "contrary" to those normally experienced by others, you may be able to capitalize on this to predict your most likely physiological responses to a new preparation.
I think it's more likely that the meaning behind sativa and indica has been butchered by the cannabis industry to cater to consumers. That's what started the myth that indica is a "sedative and sleep inducing body high" and sativa is a "energetic and creative head high".

From a redditor:

"These terms are inaccurate and flawed... in America, we have mostly mutt plants that are neither true Indica or Sativa. We’ve all had Indicas and Sativas that didn’t affect us as advertised. The terms were originally used by botanists and those observing the plant out in nature to describe the morphology of the plant. Indica only grew in hot, arid climates, and produced short stalks and small, tightly compact buds (flowers), while Sativa grew mainly in tropical climates, competing with a lot of other plant life for sunlight and resources, which is why they grow tall, with big fan-like leaves and fluffy, spaced-out buds. They grew this way because of their environment, and were named thusly. The names had nothing to do with how they got you high.

Studies have shown that the different and diverse effects of cannabis are derived not from the genus, but from the Cannabinoids and Terpenoids produced by the plant as it grows. These are chemical compounds produced by the plant for its own uses, many of which protect the plant from predators, elements, and foreign invaders like mold and pests.

They’ve linked THC with the psychoactive (high) feeling we receive, but that is influenced by many other cannabinoids besides THC. For example, an independent study found that use of CBD (Cannabidiol, a cannabinoid found in trace amounts in many types of cannabis) before THC induction can dilate your CB1 receptor (brain receptor that processes THC) in the brain, getting you higher off of less THC.

They also found that certain terpenes (biochemical class found in many other plant species) can enhance or detract from the high, depending on the amount you intake. Terpenes have their own therapeutic effects, most recently popularized in the burning of essential oil for vapor. The vapor is rich in terpenes from plants like Lavender, which produce a calming, relaxing effect (fun fact: the active terpene in Lavender is called Lilanool, and it’s found in many cannabis varieties). Terpenes account for smell as much as effect, which (I believe) is why you often see OG hippies buying weed based on smell alone. They are looking for terpenes that have treated them well in the past, even if they don’t know what terpenes are.

What kind of effect you get from a specific variety of cannabis hugely depends on the ratio of cannabinoids and terpenes in that plant. As an example, my favorite variety of cannabis is Kush. Kush’s are a family of Indica originally from (you guessed it) the Hindu Kush mountain range, which is why the land race was called “Hindu Kush”. Kush’s used to produce a lot of THC and CBN, which can produce a sleepy effect in the brains of mammals. Kush’s used to test high in a terpene called Myrcene, which is also found in hops and mangos, and is good for muscle tension, sleeplessness, pain, inflammation, depression. Kush’s also test high in Caryophyllene, which is also found in black pepper and cloves and is good for arthritis, ulcers, autoimmune disorders, and other gastrointestinal complications.

These are part of the reason why Indica is known as being “relaxing and sedative”; Kush was a favored variety of illegal growers when cultivation first came to America, and because Indica plants required less space, they were easier to grow low key. As we began growing and mixing genetics, however, the ratio and diversity of the cannabinoids and terpenes began to change. The Kush we smoke now is a far cry from the Kush of old, mainly due to growers not being selective about what they cross their plants with.

For the most part, consumers want a consistent experience and to know what they’re buying. These terms were bastardized and misunderstood by the industry in order to deliver an illusion of consistency to their customers. But, even if you have a plant that tests the same every time you grow it, there’s no guarantee it’ll affect you the same way every time. This is brain chemistry we’re talking about, constantly fluctuating and adapting to input of internal chemicals and outside stimulus alike. Impossible to predict and difficult to track on any given day.

TL;DR: It’s not bullshit, but the people selling it have no idea what Indica and Sativa really mean, or how the strains are going to affect you overall. They’re not biochemists or experts in neurotransmitters. They’re retailers. My advice is try a lot of diverse strains, but don’t be loyal to any one name. Many of the names are slapped on there for selling purposes, and don’t reflect the actual genetic lineage of the plant, as is implied."

Last edited:

shredder

I think it's more likely that the meaning behind sativa and indica has been butchered by the cannabis industry to cater to consumers. That's what started the myth that indica is a "sedative and sleep inducing body high" and sativa is a "energetic and creative head high".

From a redditor:

"These terms are inaccurate and flawed... in America, we have mostly mutt plants that are neither true Indica or Sativa. We’ve all had Indicas and Sativas that didn’t affect us as advertised. The terms were originally used by botanists and those observing the plant out in nature to describe the morphology of the plant. Indica only grew in hot, arid climates, and produced short stalks and small, tightly compact buds (flowers), while Sativa grew mainly in tropical climates, competing with a lot of other plant life for sunlight and resources, which is why they grow tall, with big fan-like leaves and fluffy, spaced-out buds. They grew this way because of their environment, and were named thusly. The names had nothing to do with how they got you high.

Studies have shown that the different and diverse effects of cannabis are derived not from the genus, but from the Cannabinoids and Terpenoids produced by the plant as it grows. These are chemical compounds produced by the plant for its own uses, many of which protect the plant from predators, elements, and foreign invaders like mold and pests.

They’ve linked THC with the psychoactive (high) feeling we receive, but that is influenced by many other cannabinoids besides THC. For example, an independent study found that use of CBD (Cannabidiol, a cannabinoid found in trace amounts in many types of cannabis) before THC induction can dilate your CB1 receptor (brain receptor that processes THC) in the brain, getting you higher off of less THC.

They also found that certain terpenes (biochemical class found in many other plant species) can enhance or detract from the high, depending on the amount you intake. Terpenes have their own therapeutic effects, most recently popularized in the burning of essential oil for vapor. The vapor is rich in terpenes from plants like Lavender, which produce a calming, relaxing effect (fun fact: the active terpene in Lavender is called Lilanool, and it’s found in many cannabis varieties). Terpenes account for smell as much as effect, which (I believe) is why you often see OG hippies buying weed based on smell alone. They are looking for terpenes that have treated them well in the past, even if they don’t know what terpenes are.

What kind of effect you get from a specific variety of cannabis hugely depends on the ratio of cannabinoids and terpenes in that plant. As an example, my favorite variety of cannabis is Kush. Kush’s are a family of Indica originally from (you guessed it) the Hindu Kush mountain range, which is why the land race was called “Hindu Kush”. Kush’s used to produce a lot of THC and CBN, which can produce a sleepy effect in the brains of mammals. Kush’s used to test high in a terpene called Myrcene, which is also found in hops and mangos, and is good for muscle tension, sleeplessness, pain, inflammation, depression. Kush’s also test high in Caryophyllene, which is also found in black pepper and cloves and is good for arthritis, ulcers, autoimmune disorders, and other gastrointestinal complications.

These are part of the reason why Indica is known as being “relaxing and sedative”; Kush was a favored variety of illegal growers when cultivation first came to America, and because Indica plants required less space, they were easier to grow low key. As we began growing and mixing genetics, however, the ratio and diversity of the cannabinoids and terpenes began to change. The Kush we smoke now is a far cry from the Kush of old, mainly due to growers not being selective about what they cross their plants with.

For the most part, consumers want a consistent experience and to know what they’re buying. These terms were bastardized and misunderstood by the industry in order to deliver an illusion of consistency to their customers. But, even if you have a plant that tests the same every time you grow it, there’s no guarantee it’ll affect you the same way every time. This is brain chemistry we’re talking about, constantly fluctuating and adapting to input of internal chemicals and outside stimulus alike. Impossible to predict and difficult to track on any given day.

TL;DR: It’s not bullshit, but the people selling it have no idea what Indica and Sativa really mean, or how the strains are going to affect you overall. They’re not biochemists or experts in neurotransmitters. They’re retailers. My advice is try a lot of diverse strains, but don’t be loyal to any one name. Many of the names are slapped on there for selling purposes, and don’t reflect the actual genetic lineage of the plant, as is implied."

For the most part I agree with your copy and paste. But it doesnt really jibe with your previous post, where you said "sativas depress me", does it?

My best advice would be to find the terpenes you like, and choose by that.

shredder,
Top Bottom