Which Log??

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
oh yeah, me too..... so, since im saving for a CL, now

I wonder if a CL would be able to go as low as i normally do with my WS... my max volts on the vvps for dry hits is 8.3...
I suspect it can, although some folks have mentioned that Chis can tune the heater to be hotter or cooler. Maybe email him to see if he can guide you on this. Or maybe make sure you are sent one tuned to your preferences.

I am going to tune my WS down a lot and see what I can get out of it. Maybe I have the old heater after all?

Looks like in my notes that I took my UD SC3 down to 8.5V to avoid the woody flavor, but didn't like the wispy vapor it produces at that that temp. Today might be a chance to experiment with all the logs at lowest end.

Last edited:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Today might be a chance to experiment with all the logs at lowest end
I didn't try all my logs but I did experiment with low temps on the WS vs. the CL. This is wholely unscientific, but I ran the same flower/grind (0.55g) through both vapes back to back over two evenings. It was the kick-off of my vaping both days so I was fresh. I started with the WS the first evening and the CL the second. The WS was set at 8.5V and the CL was 2 on the PWM. I probably should have measured the current and voltage on each but 🤷🏻. Both were hit on the CC Prophet. WS used the new tip, CL the glass bowl. These are my preferred set ups for both.

I found that I slightly preferred the CL flavor both nights. I chose a favorite fragrant flower to make sure it came through. While the WS had a great flavor, the CL was noticably brighter. Both bowls vapes for about 4 hits before I got no more taste and vapor.

Still think the WS is great, and I enjoy it a lot. Both vapes are better form me at a higher temp which produces a bit more body with the volume of vapor.

Last edited:

Looper714

Yea id love a breakdown from you on ws vs other logs. Dont have a ws, the draw restriction really turned me off, but im curiois t hear your thoughts.
I prefer a more restrictive draw which is what led me to WoodScents. I purchased a Thuya Burl WS (what a beauty!) shortly after buying an Underdog alpha, and have been using them both interchangeably, which is absolutely perfect! I'm a microdoser and both of these vapes work well for that! I'd say the WS is more suited to microdosing than the UD due to the chamber size of the new titanium tip, and it produces smooth and tasty vapor, however I have been getting very cloudy one hits using the glass wpa and nylon dd stem with the UD. WS is definitely more restrictive than UD glass stems but comparable to the nylon stems. A bonus of the 3 holes in the WS is that it's very easy to place the log on the wpa. I have been setting my temp to 8 with WS and 11.6 with UD and those are working very well for me, still experimenting though. At this point, still enjoying getting used to both of these and can't say I prefer one over the other, they are both unique and it's been fun using them simultaneously!

coolbreeze

I prefer a more restrictive draw which is what led me to WoodScents. I purchased a Thuya Burl WS (what a beauty!) shortly after buying an Underdog alpha, and have been using them both interchangeably, which is absolutely perfect! I'm a microdoser and both of these vapes work well for that! I'd say the WS is more suited to microdosing than the UD due to the chamber size of the new titanium tip, and it produces smooth and tasty vapor, however I have been getting very cloudy one hits using the glass wpa and nylon dd stem with the UD. WS is definitely more restrictive than UD glass stems but comparable to the nylon stems. A bonus of the 3 holes in the WS is that it's very easy to place the log on the wpa. I have been setting my temp to 8 with WS and 11.6 with UD and those are working very well for me, still experimenting though. At this point, still enjoying getting used to both of these and can't say I prefer one over the other, they are both unique and it's been fun using them simultaneously!
Really helpful, thanks!

Looper714

Really helpful, thanks!
One minor gripe with the WoodScents and that's the power supply; it's very difficult to read the numbers and get your temp set, a digital readout like the Underdog would be so nice! One advantage for me with the WS is I can take back to back to back hits with it and have to wait several minutes between hits with the UD.

Looper714

I didn't try all my logs but I did experiment with low temps on the WS vs. the CL. This is wholely unscientific, but I ran the same flower/grind (0.55g) through both vapes back to back over two evenings. It was the kick-off of my vaping both days so I was fresh. I started with the WS the first evening and the CL the second. The WS was set at 8.5V and the CL was 2 on the PWM. I probably should have measured the current and voltage on each but 🤷🏻. Both were hit on the CC Prophet. WS used the new tip, CL the glass bowl. These are my preferred set ups for both.

I found that I slightly preferred the CL flavor both nights. I chose a favorite fragrant flower to make sure it came through. While the WS had a great flavor, the CL was noticably brighter. Both bowls vapes for about 4 hits before I got no more taste and vapor.

Still think the WS is great, and I enjoy it a lot. Both vapes are better form me at a higher temp which produces a bit more body with the volume of vapor.
Can I ask you how do you know your WS was set at 8.5 since there's no digital readout, which is my only issue with the WS. Cheers

Looper714,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Can I ask you how do you know your WS was set at 8.5 since there's no digital readout, which is my only issue with the WS. Cheers
Yep, what @GoldenBud said. I use the ATM with my WS. I did not like the dimmer that came with it.
One minor gripe with the WoodScents and that's the power supply; it's very difficult to read the numbers and get your temp set, a digital readout like the Underdog would be so nice! One advantage for me with the WS is I can take back to back to back hits with it and have to wait several minutes between hits with the UD.
I found that I can't overpower the WS with the normal DV/WS tips because the draw is so tight. However if I use a glass stem and rip it hard I can pull a lot of heat off of it. It takes a little to recover, but not more than my UD alpha. Both keep up fine if I use a slow steady draw. Although it is easier to exhaust the Alpha accidentally. However it does not take multiple minutes to get back to temp for me. Maybe up to a minute.

Last edited:

Looper714

Yep, what @GoldenBud said. I use the ATM with my WS. I did not like the dimmer that came with it.

I found that I can't overpower the WS with the normal DV/WS tips because the draw is so tight. However if I use a glass stem and rip it hard I can pull a lot of heat off of it. It takes a little to recover, but not more than my UD alpha. Both keep up fine if I use a slow steady draw. Although it is easier to exhaust the Alpha accidentally. However it does not take multiple minutes to get back to temp for me. Maybe up to a minute.
Can someone direct me to the ATM or WPS (not familiar with either and don't know what the acronym's mean) or another power supply alternative for the WS. Thanks

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!

Looper714

A generic vvps (variable voltage power supply) like @GoldenBud posted is fine. The atm is @ https://refc-labs.com/products/adva...15453&pr_ref_pid=7065087410365&pr_seq=uniform. There is also a diy version that is cheaper and ostensibly very easy to set up.
Thanks Goldenbud and Gordontreeman! Just ordered the VVPS from Amazon and looking forward to experimenting with it!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yep. I think what Red charges is totally fair, but it took me 5 minutes to assemble and cost about $90 total. It is also probably the single most reliable and useful piece of vape equipment that I own. Still thinking about getting the duplex.

Yes I am still glad that I shelled out for two pre-built singles so I have one for each room I use, best VVPS I've ever used for everything

pomogirl

Thanks, that's a helpful set of contrasts/comparisons.

Looper714

I've been using both the WoodScents and Underdog Alpha simultaneously since purchasing them, and it's now been about 6 weeks of daily use of both of these logs. First, I'm glad I have them both, they each offer a different experience and both produce smooth, tasty, voluminous vapor. I ditched the power supply that came with the WS and bought one with a digital readout on Amazon (thanks Goldenbud, see his post above with a link) and much more user friendly. The WS is a restrictive draw and it takes a little getting used to, however I have it down now and am loving it! My favorite way of using the WS is with the glass dd stem and the new titanium tip, I prefer the nylon dd stem with the Underdog, and get a similar but not so restrictive draw as the WS, and am loving that also! My prior preference was vaping through glass, but I'm actually enjoy the dd stems more. I do not prefer one over the other, they both heat up relatively quickly, all components are super easy to clean, and both offer great customer support.

CanikUser19

Trenchtown Rock
I've been using both the WoodScents and Underdog Alpha simultaneously since purchasing them, and it's now been about 6 weeks of daily use of both of these logs. First, I'm glad I have them both, they each offer a different experience and both produce smooth, tasty, voluminous vapor. I ditched the power supply that came with the WS and bought one with a digital readout on Amazon (thanks Goldenbud, see his post above with a link) and much more user friendly. The WS is a restrictive draw and it takes a little getting used to, however I have it down now and am loving it! My favorite way of using the WS is with the glass dd stem and the new titanium tip, I prefer the nylon dd stem with the Underdog, and get a similar but not so restrictive draw as the WS, and am loving that also! My prior preference was vaping through glass, but I'm actually enjoy the dd stems more. I do not prefer one over the other, they both heat up relatively quickly, all components are super easy to clean, and both offer great customer support.
If you haven’t picked one up already for your WS, you might enjoy this from @Ed's TnT

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

pomogirl

I'll send another email to Alan to see if he has anything available. I asked to be added weeks ago and definitely don't remember if I asked about anything in stock. :lol:

Thank you guys for the help!
I got one of Alan's Toasty Tops in stock, and it's beautiful. And I'm on his list for a HI too, I think.

Oh, I didn't see that was back to back--sorry!

Top Bottom