Which Dnyavap fmj type covers work with a soft flame/candle?

BH491

Hey,
Sorry it takes me forever to research,
soon i will need to use my dynavap with a soft flame/candle.

And i really would like to make a purchase asap God willing
So any help is greatly appreciated thanks to everyone in advance.

How many dynavap covers/types of fmjs-full metal jackets from any companies are there?
Whats the difference between them?
Which ones work with a soft flame/candle?
Is copper or silver better for a soft flame/candle?
Which ones eliminate the need to spin?so it can be put on something or held on the candle in one position without need to spin)

Thanks a lot

Nn

BH491,

badbee

Hey,
Sorry it takes me forever to research,
soon i will need to use my dynavap with a soft flame/candle.

And i really would like to make a purchase asap God willing
So any help is greatly appreciated thanks to everyone in advance.

How many dynavap covers/types of fmjs-full metal jackets from any companies are there?
Whats the difference between them?
Which ones work with a soft flame/candle?
Is copper or silver better for a soft flame/candle?
Which ones eliminate the need to spin?so it can be put on something or held on the candle in one position without need to spin)

Thanks a lot

Nn
I haven't tested this but I don't imagine it makes any difference. The only problem with soft flames is the soot, otherwise it's like any torch. None of the jacket types require spinning to my knowledge. Some people prefer silver because they worry about copper "fumes", otherwise no significant difference.

BH491

I haven't tested this but I don't imagine it makes any difference. The only problem with soft flames is the soot, otherwise it's like any torch. None of the jacket types require spinning to my knowledge. Some people prefer silver because they worry about copper "fumes", otherwise no significant difference.
Thanks so much

I forgot maybe the most important question

Which fmj is the best in your opinion?
(not just between copper or silver, but more different brands and styles, honestly i dont even know whats out there just that there is from simrell and from at least 1 other company)

Or are they all the same thing?

Thanks so much hopefully youve been a huge help
This stuff usually doesn't take me just days or even weeks to research, i wish just months...

BH491,

badbee

Thanks so much

I forgot maybe the most important question

Which fmj is the best in your opinion?
(not just between copper or silver, but more different brands and styles, honestly i dont even know whats out there just that there is from simrell and from at least 1 other company)

Or are they all the same thing?

Thanks so much hopefully youve been a huge help
This stuff usually doesn't take me just days or even weeks to research, i wish just months...
I don't have personal experience to tell you which is best. From posting activity it seems the interest in external jackets is starting to fade. If I wanted something along these lines I would probably go for the Anvil, it has a good reputation.

badbee,
Reactions: BH491

bhasma

Simrell's FMJ may be copper or steel or gold-plated copper, and other makers have silver versions. The original FMJ covers most of the cap, and silver ones (which I haven't used) can have various lengths. Steel works with induction but all work with a torch. And there is Dynavap's steel Armored Cap. The Anvil needs more than a candle to heat properly, but all of the others should work.

bhasma,

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, do you mind sharing why you would need to use a candle and not a torch lighter or oil burner?

Grass Yes,

BH491

Simrell's FMJ may be copper or steel or gold-plated copper, and other makers have silver versions. The original FMJ covers most of the cap, and silver ones (which I haven't used) can have various lengths. Steel works with induction but all work with a torch. And there is Dynavap's steel Armored Cap. The Anvil needs more than a candle to heat properly, but all of the others should work.
Great super helpful info

I heard something about armored cap
But didnt know what exactly and that dynavap themselves makes it
Thanks for the help and info

Do you know the difference between the fmj and the steel armored?
Again i need it just for a soft flame/candle

Thats the main reason anvil,although an awesome vape id love to own, but is not for me now
Besides budget
fmjs are cheap not sure about the armored cap
And hopefully help with not needing to spin which takes a while with a candle
Also hate combusting and dynavap every heat up is a prayer it doesnt combust but often happens in a long session
Also if it can give a better hit God willing
All that plus the final hopeful use of alcohol for a flame
That doesnt cause soot
What a pain soot is
Have a bunch of tissue take the cap off with them
But it ends up getting on clothes and hands

I still need to test
Maybe you know,
If i put 96 proof alcohol (what about vodka?)
In a small recepticle with just enough to burn for 20-30 min tops
And just take a floating wick will that work and burn,and burn clean?

I need a liquid i can poor and use in small doses with a wick
So it will go out on its own soon after im done

Thanks for all your help

BH491,
Reactions: budski

BH491

Just out of curiosity, do you mind sharing why you would need to use a candle and not a torch lighter or oil burner?
Sure
Its for yom tov/jewish holiday
Its connected to my other post
But this was a different specific question

a torch isnt an option

But whats an oil burner?
Very interested to hear

How much oil does it need to burn for 2 3 days non stop

Or can i put just a little but of 'oil' per each session that will extinguish/go out on its own after 10-30 min?

I usually use a small oil recepticle (empty tea light)
Pour a little oil
And use a floating wick (or two wicks in one)

Add a little more oil as needed if i want to extend the session

And use a new short wick each session

But the oils i use cause soot

Do you know what oils i can do this with that wont cause soot?

96 proof alcohol? Vodka?

Thanks for your help

BH491,

bhasma

The AC is more solid and would take longer to heat, and with gentle heating I think all of the FMJs would be equal. If all you need is protection for the cap while not spinning then the copper FMJ should be fine. Respect the click and you won't combust, then adjust timing as necessary. A spirit lamp could use either ethyl or isopropyl alcohol at 70% or more. Be careful with burning alcohol, the flame can be hard to see and accidents happen.

And you can't use a wick in an open bowl of alcohol as you would with oil, the whole bowl will ignite.

Last edited:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
a torch isnt an option

But whats an oil burner?
I understand now that it has to remain lit for a long period. Thanks for explaining.

I called it an oil burner, which I believe is what you described. But I actually mean alcohol burner :doh:

There is even a thread about them here:

BH491

The AC is more solid and would take longer to heat, and with gentle heating I think all of the FMJs would be equal. If all you need is protection for the cap while not spinning then the copper FMJ should be fine. Respect the click and you won't combust, then adjust timing as necessary. A spirit lamp could use either ethyl or isopropyl alcohol at 70% or more. Be careful with burning alcohol, the flame can be hard to see and accidents happen.

And you can't use a wick in an open bowl of alcohol as you would with oil, the whole bowl will ignite.
Thanks all really good info and super helpful and informative to me

Why the copper?
(Besides whatever health issues many seem to prefer to stay away from it for)

So theres 3 choices im aware of as of now

AC
fmj copper or steel
silver collar from vaphit

I saw a few people prefer the silver collar

And many like the AC

But the ac is above what id prefer to pay
If theres a cheaper option

And if theres not
Then i would probably not purchase now

And put the money towards other more important vapes

I just realized now
Maybe (besides AC) none work with a regular cap

I have 2 caps both regular

So i guess ac's out and im down to -

Do any work with a regular cap?

or whats the best bet?
Thanks for all the help

BH491,

BH491

I understand now that it has to remain lit for a long period. Thanks for explaining.

I called it an oil burner, which I believe is what you described. But I actually mean alcohol burner :doh:

There is even a thread about them here:
Really really helpful thank you

And especially for the thread here

I had no idea this was an option and such a great option it seems too

besides no soot

Based on what theyre saying
This works not just as good as a torch
But maybe even better
And can be used for sb and anvil etc

And quite too

And hopefully seems to be much better in more windy spaces

I still have to learn more about them
How easy it is to diy and safe God willing

Or what my options are to buy

And which alcohol to use

As over there 1 person recommends
Methyl hydrate

And for quicker heat up
Denatured ethanol

Someone complained maybe iso isnt so good

Thanks for all the help

bhasma

If you are heating with a soft flame they will all be the same. The copper FMJ is the cheapest (and my favourite). There is no reason to believe that the copper FMJ is dangerous. All FMJs just slip on to any cap, but original caps can fall off more easily (especially with extra weight of an FMJ) so captive caps are recommended, but not required.

bhasma,

BH491

If you are heating with a soft flame they will all be the same. The copper FMJ is the cheapest (and my favourite). There is no reason to believe that the copper FMJ is dangerous. All FMJs just slip on to any cap, but original caps can fall off more easily (especially with extra weight of an FMJ) so captive caps are recommended, but not required.
So very helpful thanks

Maybe 1 of the types copper or silver or steel
Can be squeezed a bit to make for a tighter fit?

Also im Curious i have 2 caps the old one takes forever to click
Can be a 1 hit if it doesn't combust

And a newer cap(also seems to be slowing down with dents...)

Which 1 is better with the fmj or are they the same?

No pressure not trying to pry
But is your name בה אז מה ?

BH491,

bhasma

The clickers start to lose their calibration every time you combust, clicking slightly later each time and gradually approaching combustion temperature. Respect the click and your caps should last forever, go past the click only when you are sure that it's appropriate. And no, that's not my name.

bhasma,

BH491

The clickers start to lose their calibration every time you combust, clicking slightly later each time and gradually approaching combustion temperature. Respect the click and your caps should last forever, go past the click only when you are sure that it's appropriate. And no, that's not my name.
Wow really
Yeah i combust all the time non intentionally
Why i dont like to use my dv
I guess i dont hear the first or second click sometimes
And i usually try to only use the bottom part of the cap(higher temp side)
Or if im feeling cautious a little more up

Name, was worth the guess i guess?
Just the letters of your name in hebrew
Can mean
thank God or God willing
So
What

Last edited:
BH491,

BH491

this looks great
Bur i didn't find it in a search here
, convection, and maybe more my style, except its glass and as much as i love glass, glass to me is usually just a count down to broken glass, mazal tov

actually one of the original reasons i got the dynavap for its being solid(its great thank God for it, but not... actually the caps can be sensitive
and o rings and screens but the caps seems to still work even if impaired,really any screen can be cut to fit, less orings can work and idk but probably can diy something)

Dustin McKief

Which fmj is the best in your opinion? Or are they all the same thing?
They differ in material and thickness. I've tried silver (vaphit) & copper / stainless steel (Simrell). IME, that is the order in which they both get up to heat and retain heat. Silver heats up very quickly, but also cools down very quickly, and stainless takes the longest to heat and retains heat the longest. But you don't need one to use a flame, they simply extend your session time and negate spinning.

I have used an alcohol lamp, which has been discussed in the Dynavap thread. I enjoy the silent ritual, but even with the wick cap on the fuel evaporates fairly quickly between uses. I have never used a candle, but both options will have a more diffuse heat field vs. a torch so some practice will go a long way. I always try to heat to the click slowly which is a challenge with the alcohol lamp due to its very high heat.

You say that you combust often. Are you able to hear the click(s)?

bhasma

They differ in material and thickness. I've tried silver (vaphit) & copper / stainless steel (Simrell). IME, that is the order in which they both get up to heat and retain heat. Silver heats up very quickly, but also cools down very quickly, and stainless takes the longest to heat and retains heat the longest. But you don't need one to use a flame, they simply extend your session time and negate spinning.
Silver and copper both have very high thermal conductivity and steel is much lower, so heat spreads around the collar faster with silver or copper, but I don't think the overall heating time will be much different with a diffuse flame (I haven't actually timed them in this scenario).

bhasma,

BH491

You say that you combust often. Are you able to hear the click(s)?

I tell myself they didnt happen
That it just clicked once

But
I just space out probably
I have to really focus and listen and have my ear close
I usually am around noise

Or even if not so much
But also sometimes the 1st and second click i think can both sound weak or strong

Also my old cap is now basically a not so great 1 hitter

Maybe i cook too low? Idk i do where the main flame is for sure on the cap, but the edge.

Also i can sometimes do non stop back to back
With putting on magnet till it clicks

BH491,

BH491

Silver and copper both have very high thermal conductivity and steel is much lower, so heat spreads around the collar faster with silver or copper, but I don't think the overall heating time will be much different with a diffuse flame (I haven't actually timed them in this scenario
Alright
Thanks
I put a copper fmj from potv in the basket

(plus mighty mouthpieces which was $21 and a couple really small things to make it to $25
And free shipping instead of just paying the 4 in shipping)

God willing tomorrow hope to place the order

Thanks for all the help

Just gotta figure out a good/cheap alcohol burner
Alcohol i can get for cheap, all God willing

BH491,
Top Bottom