When vaporizing/smoking, does the smell concern you? What do you do?

fearghusm1

I'm a long-time reader, first time poster here at FC. I've been interested for a long time in vaporization, but i'm really concerned that whether I smoke or toke or vape herb that there will be a lingering smell. I know that any smell from vaping doesn't hang around (because there's no particulates, as in smoke, if the air leaves, so does the smell), and that ventilation is important, but I refuse to believe that there isn't another solution. I'm a budding inventor (no patents yet but i'm on my way to a few), and I would very much like to solve this problem. My goal here is to get as much information as I can so that I can make the best product I can. In the end, the product should be able to get you your medicine, without a _hint_ of smell. So on that note, I have a few questions. I'll number them, so if you answer, be sure to put the # before your response so everyone knows what's going on.

1) How concerned do you get about smell? Is this a problem that lots of you run into?

2) If there was a simple way to prevent smell, would you be interested in buying a product that accomplished this, supposing you couldn't make it yourself?

3) Do any of you have any means of preventing smell? I know about sploofs, but they don't seem adequate.

4) Do any of you know anything about Activated Carbon sploofs? Have you made one? Do they _eliminate_ smell?

5) Do sploofs have any other name?

6) Are there any alternatives to sploofs?

7) Are there any products out there already that have solved this problem, to the best of your knowledge?

8) Despite the fact that they're reasonably easy to construct, would you buy a sploof that was easier to hide than a home-made sploof?

9) What makes you like a vaporizer? What aspects/properties must it have for you to like it?

10) How do you hide vaporizers? Anything clever? Anything easily reproducible?

Quick note: I know that ventilation solves smell problems pretty quickly, but I'm looking to be able to toke in a place w/out adequate or any ventilation.

In advance, I'd like to thank you all for any help you can provide. Being able to solve a problem gives me a particular gratification that I can't find anywhere else. It's my dream to be an inventor, but I can't do what I need to do to get to that point alone. That's where you come in. Let's fix this problem together, yah? ;)

fearghusm1,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
fearghusm1 said:
I'm a long-time reader, first time poster here at FC. I've been interested for a long time in vaporization, but i'm really concerned that whether I smoke or toke or vape herb that there will be a lingering smell. I know that any smell from vaping doesn't hang around (because there's no particulates, as in smoke, if the air leaves, so does the smell), and that ventilation is important, but I refuse to believe that there isn't another solution. I'm a budding inventor (no patents yet but i'm on my way to a few), and I would very much like to solve this problem. My goal here is to get as much information as I can so that I can make the best product I can. In the end, the product should be able to get you your medicine, without a _hint_ of smell. So on that note, I have a few questions. I'll number them, so if you answer, be sure to put the # before your response so everyone knows what's going on.

1) How concerned do you get about smell? Is this a problem that lots of you run into?

Not a concern at all for me.

2) If there was a simple way to prevent smell, would you be interested in buying a product that accomplished this, supposing you couldn't make it yourself?

No because it is not a concern for me

4) Do any of you know anything about Activated Carbon sploofs? Have you made one? Do they _eliminate_ smell?

Working in a lab, I am familar with the theory of activated charcoal. I've used it once when growing some plants, but not in a sploof.

9) What makes you like a vaporizer? What aspects/properties must it have for you to like it?

Harm reduction

In advance, I'd like to thank you all for any help you can provide. Being able to solve a problem gives me a particular gratification that I can't find anywhere else. It's my dream to be an inventor, but I can't do what I need to do to get to that point alone. That's where you come in. Let's fix this problem together, yah? ;)
Sorry I can't be of more help than this. I've got my own place. GF does too. MJ is frequently left out in the open (people do not come over unannounced. Ever. It isn't allowed).

Tom

tdavie,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
My honest opinion is generally the folks most worried about the smell are younger folks still living with parents (hopefully over 18 if posting here) or those in dorm room situations. Those are also the folks that many times don't have a lot of disposable income. The sploof thing is practically free and I don't imagine the young folks would spend much money on a device over their toilet paper tube/softener sheet dealio.

If I was in an area that I had to be concerned about odor I'd probably vape elsewhere. I also know I can hold my inhale for quite some time to mitigate wasted vapor and expelling odor.

If I was in a dorm I'd be making A LOT of microwave popcorn I imagine :D

There isn't much lingering oder from my vaping unless I really party like a rock star in a closed room.

Lo,

max

Out to lunch
I agree with the posts above. There's a world of difference between the smell of smoke and vapor and how long it lasts. If you're going to produce an odor eliminator/reducer, there'll be a much bigger market with smokers than with vaporists.

max,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Exhaling a hit of vapor produces about the same strength of smell as opening my bag of herb does. It dissipates very quickly, and the only thing that retains a bit of smell is the part of the vape between the bowl and your mouth. If you're really concerned with smell I suggest getting some ziplock freezer bags (the ones with the actual sliding plastic zipper, much easier to use IMO) to store these parts in when not in use. Just make sure they're fully cooled before putting them in of course. And all you really need to do to combat any smell of exhaled vape is to open a window and/or turn on a fan. Just a bit of airflow is all you need.

My g/f smokes and no one can ever smell vapor over the lingering smell of cigarettes, so if youre in a smoking environment, theres no worries.

If youre in a spot with no airflow and no smoking, a good fart does the trick to, so my advice is to eat a lot of beans. Another thing that works good is just having some sort of food product around, so if anyone asks "whats that smell" you can just say "oh its my garlic chicken pizza over there" or "its my funions"

i've vaped with kids around, i've vaped in movie theatres, public restrooms, in the office at work, and never had anyone notice a smell, or at least mention it if they did

steiner666,

GreenLeaf

Just get a portable vape like a magic flight launch box, and go outside or somewhere with lots of ventilation if you're worried about the smell indoors.

Or vape indoors and hold the vapor in and open a window or put on a fan if you're worried about it.

When I would smoke indoors I would use spoofs but eventually I just didn't care and nobody else did either.
Putting on a bathroom fan, spraying ozium/lysol, and opening a window all worked and this was just for smoking.

When I've been in places where smoking indoors is not an option I just would go outside.

IME a recently lit candle or stick of incense lingers way more than vapor does. YMMV.

When I used to read high times magazine I remember they had ads for products that basically were spoofs but were just tubes with a filter that you would apparently exhale into. I never bought one so I do not know how effective they are. I know one guy who told me how he'd just exhale into a towel/wash cloth and other friends would just exhale smoke into a fan that sucked air into it like a bathroom fan.

GreenLeaf,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
They already have invented an air filter that gets rid of smoke/vapor. Its a big tower thingy, it also filters out dust mold etc. I used to have one for my allergies.

As for masking the smell, try blowing up some balloons or inflatable toys :) whenever I do that the wonderful scent lingers in my apartment, plus it won't arouse suspicion like candles/incense will.

Lil Dragonfly,

Purple-Days

Fearghusm1, welcome to the forum, I admire your dream to be an inventor.

I think that 'pre-qualifies' you to be one.

You are on the right track. Find a moosetrap and re-invent it to another use. Or sophisticatize an existing claptrap arrangement. Make some improvement on a Vapor Related Product (VRP for short crew). take something like a -what was that thing called?- that cooled air with two funnels and an ice pack??? and go hi-tech ??? A machined and unscrewable (for cleaning) high heft chillable aluminum body with two or more air flows that went through replaceable activated carbon sinks. Sell replacement filters even. (fucking coffee filters and carbon). Dude we could make billions.

Edit: ps. no, I am never concerned about vapor odor. Most folks aren't. Learn as much about your target audience as the product you intend to invent... and that doesn't mean I think a vapor odor product doesn't have a market. ;) :clap:

Purple-Days,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Chances are if they are educated and fortunate enough to own a vape (and be a member of this board) then there are 1) Medical patients who probably do not need to worry about order or 2) In an environment (old enough, living on their own, etc) where it doesnt matter.

However there are always exceptions, and even I (a medical user) is cautious about odors. Members of my household know I vape in the house, but that doesn't mean they enjoy the smell of my meds. So for consideration of others, I may be interested in a product like this.

I have seen things like this before, though. THe smoke shop I bought my MFLB at actually. Can't remember what its called...damn trainwreck. ;)

finchrock24,

Lil Dragonfly

vapor fetishist
I dream of becoming an inventor too btw :)

Sometime when I get my life back together I'll tell you about the projects I've been working on. (Or should I say, the projects that I should be working on...I never finish anything I start :/)

Lil Dragonfly,

fearghusm1

Wow everybody, thank you so much for all of your answers, they were very helpful, and the myriad wishes for success really made a difference :lol: I've finalized the device, and i believe that i'll be applying for a provisional patent and attempting to license the rights to the patent to a vaporizer company who can get it done right. I'll be sure to keep you all apprised of how things are going, and as soon as I can, i'll post a detailed description of the apparatus (doing so before I receive patent protection would of course, be foolish).

On another note, I would like to mention to all of you budding inventors out there, do some research on Adult ADHD. I've wanted to be an inventor for a long time, and I have always had good ideas, but like some of you mentioned, I just couldn't get my life together enough to see them through. I discovered that I have ADHD my freshman year of college, and it's really changed my life. The medication I'm on now really helps me follow through on all of my projects, and it's done wonders for my quality of life. I'm not saying that you have ADHD, but the chances are very good; people with ADHD are highly misrepresented in marijuana smokers*.

*As way of explanation, here's an example of what I'm talking about; if approx. 7% of the US population has ADHD, then the part of the US population that uses marijuana would be approx. 15% people with ADHD. Those numbers are of course made up, but it's a fact that people with ADHD are more likely to use drugs (In the case of marijuana, I don't think that's a problem; it's the cocaine and heroine etc that's going to mess you up).

Just keep in mind that a good 6% of the people on this forum have ADHD and don't know it. Having ADHD is perfectly fine, and I'm actually particularly glad that I have ADHD, but not knowing that you have it is going to really screw you up (addendum: Actually, if you don't know about it, you'll screw _yourself_ up, the ADHD isn't what screws you over, you do that to yourself. That's the toughest part about ADHD; you can't blame anything on it, you just have to keep trying harder, which can suck balls). Just keep on the safe side and do some research;
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adhd/ds00275/dsection=tests-and-diagnosis
http://www.adhdawareness.com/adhd-assessment-checklist.html

Good luck in all of your endeavors. You're all good people ^^ and I wish you well.

All of this goes doubly for you Lil Dragonfly ;)

fearghusm1,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@fearghusm1 Sorry if my response seemed blunt or pessimistic. Just because I wouldn't buy or use such a product doesn't mean there is no use for one. Lot of people in dorms, living with someone who objects to the smell and so on.

Good luck!

Tom

tdavie,

Frickr

also the type of vaporizer you have will dictate how much smell is produced. with my pd, i can vape a tube in my living room only to have people walk in none the wiser to the smell. now with my ssv, it stinks up the place. i had to be careful in my apartment because the smell would migrate out into the hallway for all to smell. candles make a nice compliment to vaping. both in covering the smell, and giving a nice soft light to vape by at night.

Frickr,

AreaFour20

Awesome information on ADHD. That was very kind to share that.
Thank you fearghusm1!
Good luck with your invention!

AreaFour20,

ttomo

fun questions and thanks for your interest in making something useful!
i envy people who dont worry about smell - i always fall on the side of wanting to be ninja-discreet about everything i do. has nothing to do with age or money or location so much as i like to vanish without a trace, leaving no evidence behind but forums posts.
fearghusm1 said:
- Before moving to CA I was very paranoid about smell as being on east coast with zero tolerance all around, it was a scary place :p I purchased a small room air purifier and a larger multi-function purifier, but i still would use a paper towel tube and dryer sheets (is that a sploof?) I also had a water pipe that broke cleanly on the end, so i used it as a glass dryer sheet tube.

- i think so. the paper tube isn't classy. the glass one was actually appropriate, but i was lucky it broke and was usable-it eventually broke more.

3) Do any of you have any means of preventing smell? I know about sploofs, but they don't seem adequate.
- if the dryer sheets and tube is a sploof, i found them to be extremely adequate. I also used 3/8" tubing and just taped that between my desk and window. I love home inventions :p I also have found oven air vents and fire places to be handy if they are around.

- sounds neat, im curious

5) Do sploofs have any other name?
- never knew what to call them but i dont think i like the name "sploof"

6) Are there any alternatives to sploofs?
- other than #3 and what others have mentioned, lots of house plants might be helpful.

7) Are there any products out there already that have solved this problem, to the best of your knowledge?
- same as #3 and #6

8) Despite the fact that they're reasonably easy to construct, would you buy a sploof that was easier to hide than a home-made sploof?
- depends on its style and look. see #2

- i love everything about my vaporizer. changed every way i did things from prior. healthier, cleaner, all smells from used pipes to used water-it all smells better. fire kills and is bad, vaping allows me to collect every part, i save stems and all, zero waste. vaping while driving around doesnt start forest fires.
as far as vape requirements, i think most vapes are adequate if they deliver that nice shade of yellow-brown. I like my vapro because it has pipe, water, glass-on-glass, made my own whip for it and made my own gravity (probably a reverse cano lol), its a home vape, but is also portable for vehicles.

10) How do you hide vaporizers? Anything clever? Anything easily reproducible?
- my iolite just looks discrete and is small, it can sit out or hide, no one will know. my vapro is discrete enough to just sit behind a book, or monitor; if necessary, i just put it away: little box, book bag, drawer...

ttomo,
Top Bottom