What vaporizer should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheRa

I've never used a vaporizer and want to make sure that I'm well educated before buying one as it is a considerable investment...

From what I understand, the ideal temperature is between 225 and 375, and ideally, it should be a convection style vaporizer so that the heating element does not make contact with the herbs.

Now, I realize that what temp you need to heat it to may depend on how hard/fast you suck/inhale, the lower the velocity, the lower the temperature needed, right? Although, with that in consideration, would one want to start at a lower temperature, gradually increasing it as the herbs are exhausted of their nature?

I'm trying to spend as little as possible, so something fancy or artsy is definitely out of the question, although, I do want good/tight construction... I mean, I don't want to find myself sucking air or any sort of toxic fumes (from glue or questionable construction material) just a few months, or a year, after buying it... I guess there might be O-rings somewhere in the construction of the thing that might need replacing.

I'd also like some way of displaying/confirming what temperature the herbs are vaporizing at. Seems to me that some sort of oven thermometer would suffice. In fact, I would think the digital displays/technology unreliable especially when considering long-term use/longevity. I would also think the digital technology more expensive. What do you all think?

I guess that's all I really need to figure out. What vaporizer am I looking for?

Thank you all for the advice!

SheRa,

max

Out to lunch
the ideal temperature is between 225 and 375
225 F won't get you much of anything, and 375 is around the upper end for clean vapor, according to this study anyway- http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/vaporizerstudy1.html , but info varies on vaping temps-where different compounds are released, both good and bad.

would one want to start at a lower temperature, gradually increasing it as the herbs are exhausted of their nature?
That's up to you. Increasing the temp gets you a few more analgesic, sedative type compounds, but also more toxins. It's a tradeoff of sorts.

I'd also like some way of displaying/confirming what temperature the herbs are vaporizing at.
A meat thermometer will only show you the ambiant temp. Once you draw on the vape, the temp drops, and you can't measure temp while you hit. If you want accurate vaping temp info, you'll have to spend at least $300, and yes, the possibility of failure/breakdown increases when you go with digital.

There are a lot of good vapes to choose from, and you don't narrow your requirements enough to limit the suggestions to just a few. Read the Vaporizer Discussion section and you'll find the popular models. That should give you enough info to start narrowing your search.

Good info here too- http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=530

max,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Both GreatWallMart and Target have digital kitchen thermometers that can read 450F or 550F as the upper end. These are the probe type with a long thin metal spike for measuring the center of a slab of meat. About $10.

Digital technology doesn't have to be too expensive. i can get 1F temperature accuracy in my Bud Toaster vape with $20 worth of components. Long term testing is on going, but i'm seeing very acceptable reliability despite the electronic components. The BT is in active use, going from room temperature to 450F at least 5 or 6 times per day, every day. And i have not had the soldering iron out for over a week.

And temperature stability does NOT depend on how hard/fast of inhaling.

So it is possible.

Hippie Dickie,

max

Out to lunch
Hippie Dickie said:
Digital technology doesn't have to be too expensive. i can get 1F temperature accuracy in my Bud Toaster vape with $20 worth of components.
Hopefully other vape makers will follow your lead, but right now good temp readings mean more $.

And temperature stability does NOT depend on how hard/fast of inhaling.
Maybe not with yours and a few others, but with most direct draw vapes it's definitely a factor.

max,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
i know, i know ... like my uncle Tony always says, i'm just bustin' balls.

Hippie Dickie,

SometimesY

Don't use a crappy thermometer to measure your temps. Get a cheap thermocouple ($20-30) and you'll be happier, I think. The instant read thermometers are basically just inferior thermocouples housed in a stem, anyway.

As for a vape, I'll suggest you consider a used Volcano from eBay. The non-digital models can usually be had for around $300, and if you decide you don't like it, you can resell it on the Bay for about the same price. But you'll like it.

SometimesY,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom