What makes trim trim?

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
Hi all,

Historically I didn’t live in a rec legal state (and our medical program is a hot mess, though getting better—for years it was oils only), so I’m used to taking what I can get.

Lately I’ve had the opportunity to get flower and concentrates at a legal dispensary though. It’s a bit of a trek, so I figured I’d order in bulk. I got a bunch of indica and sativa strains to experiment with, and they also had something absurd like an ounce quarter ounce of trim for $50 (I might be misremembering the numbers if that sounds too good to be true—it was “bulk” relative to the 8ths I was getting for $18-35 in terms of quantity and price).

Percentage wise it’s not thaaaaaaat much lower than the sealed 8ths I was getting, but I definitely notice that it’s lower quality—it’s a little drier and crumblier, doesn’t taste as good (first hit ain’t bad though), and just generally doesn’t seem to have quite the oomph of the higher priced stuff despite the percentages not being so different.

I have never had the opportunity to grow my own or learn about it, so I’m just curious what about the grow and cultivation process makes trim what it is? I’m not sure I’d buy it again save to just make sure I always have a stash: I can see people saying that the price premium for the top shelf nugs isn’t worth it, but despite what the lab tests claim it does feel like it’s missing something. I was just hoping to understand a little bit what that might be.

DrJynx86

When they trim the flowers/buds (for commercial sale), they usually cut a lot more, to make the buds look nicer, more compact and rounder.

Whatever they call trim is mostly flowers edges and some sugar leaves, but just grinded. For the price and cannabinoid content they're great.

gordontreeman

Cool. So am I understanding correctly at a high level that the stuff I am used to getting as “nugs” is the flowering/reproductive part of the plant? What are sugar leaves in this context? Just new leaves growing out of that flowering matter?

And if I were to try to science why I maybe find it less effective (n.b. I think there is some chance it’s just placebo, too, if the cannabinoid content tests are to be believed) is it that the cannabinoids are less dense? Like the tests are just for any part of the flower (probably the main nugs) and normalized to grams or something, so like this strain might be 14% thc per gram or whatever but not necessarily this trim?

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I would put extremely little faith in cannabis analytics..... it's laughably easy to obfuscate the results, all you have to do is dry the sample out a bit and the THC% increases.

FYI the GC-MS machines that perform these tests are literally just glorified vaporizers......

gordontreeman

I would put extremely little faith in cannabis analytics..... it's laughably easy to obfuscate the results, all you have to do is dry the sample out a bit and the THC% increases.

FYI the GC-MS machines that perform these tests are literally just glorified vaporizers......
Yeah, so conceivably I could selectively set the test to make my trim test at a reasonably high percentage by testing it in a different fashion than I test my nice nugs right? Like I guess they let it dry out more so that cannabinoids represent a higher % of the vaporizable material that remain, while more of the water is already evaporated essentially?

Edit: I have no idea what those machines you mentioned are 😅. I don’t know much about the commercial side of things. Google tells me they are gas chromatography/mass spectrometry machines? I remember the latter from gen chem labs as a technique to Id unknown compounds. I’ll have to google gc.

Last edited:

Krazy

Back in the long ago I bulk bought trim or shake from the dispensaries here; always a good deal. If you ever get the chance to switch to bin shake for the same price? Do that.

gordontreeman

Yeah, the price seems really crazy good. Like, too good to be true. I guess I don't consider myself a high tolerance user (maybe this changed some after this purchase...), but I feel like the trim is noticeably less strong. Sometimes not bad, but not always what I want. Again, though, this could be in part placebo because I am told trim is "less" good or something. I think there might be something to the percentage of active cannabinoids that a few others alluded to, though.

Top Bottom