Dabpress Rosin Plates

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Yes I received it yesterday. It matches the press and is very nicely made. I'll try it out later this evening.

Nice bro, I ordered one on Friday should have it on Monday. I am thinking it will actually be a nice jig to use for loose flowers especially small amounts and different strains :science:

I expected it was built well, considering the caged cube is like a monster truck!

7c4b86867c2f27ec4203dae964d38bc6.jpg

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I still haven't tried the alignment jig but I did make an improvement to my ram insulating puck.

First I cut the laminate flooring out using a hole saw. Then I glued a magnet into the pilot hole from the hole saw. It now attaches to the ram making for a super clean and quick setup.

dabpress7.jpg

dabpress8.jpg

mc

I don’t quite get what you mean. Nothing slides anywhere.
Is that piece of wood only being held to the ram with a magnet? If the answer is yes, then it can become a projectile at any moment. Please use safely equipment when using that. Or secure it properly.

I should not be the one giving you shop press safety advice but i feel compelled to do so.

elmomuzz

That just happened...
Honestly there is no more chance that wooden puck goes flying then the herb we are squishing. It’s completely flat with no shear force acting on it.

None the less I wear safety goggles when squishing and have a hazard sign on my press warning others to do the same.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Is that piece of wood only being held to the ram with a magnet? If the answer is yes, then it can become a projectile at any moment. Please use safely equipment when using that. Or secure it properly.

I should not be the one giving you shop press safety advice but i feel compelled to do so.

In order for the setup to work, everything needs to be perfectly aligned which @elmomuzz has done perfectly. Caged plates etc...
If there was anything misaligned, he would kill the plates before the wood shot out.
The man knows what he is doing.

mc

I don't worry about the puck shooting out because it wont' take your teeth out with it.

So when those "caged" plates tilt even the slightest bit, under full pressure, you think the plates will break before that wooden puck shoots out or splits? All my physics and engineering knowledge is sending up red flags here. It's a fking shop press guys.

Also, the whole point of caged plates is you no longer require heat protection for the ram... let's be reasonable here before someone gets hurt for no reason.

Last edited:
mc,

dabpress.com

Manufacturer
For heat insulation, we suggest you to choose solid wood plank (recommend approx 3x3″ FR4 plank) to place between the top-platen of caged cube and hydraulic ram. But please be reminded that the FR4 plank isn't needed except for long pressing efforts of one hour or more.

Point the hydraulic ram at the center of top-platen or align bottom-platen and top-platen before starting to work.

To prevent accidental sliding of the rosin plates, please put the silicon mat between the bamboo plank and hydraulic working table for your safety. We've considered to attach silicon mat in the future.

zubresco

Love the Dabpress
I don't worry about the puck shooting out because it wont' take your teeth out with it.

So when those "caged" plates tilt even the slightest bit, under full pressure, you think the plates will break before that wooden puck shoots out or splits? All my physics and engineering knowledge is sending up red flags here. It's a fking shop press guys.

Also, the whole point of caged plates is you no longer require heat protection for the ram... let's be reasonable here before someone gets hurt for no reason.

It looks like a piece of pressed wood, i am not sure but isn't that a kind of wood that would crack before it shoots out?
i myself have used a nylon disc the same diameter as the ram, i pressed the disc between the ram and the bottom plate of my press and it pressed itself around the ram.
if i know how t get a photo here in the forum i will post the result its a real nice piece of nylon, it looks cool and one drop of hot glue holds it in place.

(uploading photo: do i have to open a photo in chrome copy that path and past it in the image url ?)

mc

It looks like a piece of pressed wood, i am not sure but isn't that a kind of wood that would crack before it shoots out?
i myself have used a nylon disc the same diameter as the ram, i pressed the disc between the ram and the bottom plate of my press and it pressed itself around the ram.

It might, but then the plates are going to smash up on the ram at an angle.

The plate builder just posted above you explaining the proper way to insulate his plates. So hopefully people follow his advice since they won't listen to me. not like I know ANYTHING about safety :)

dabpress.com

Manufacturer
It might, but then the plates are going to smash up on the ram at an angle.

The plate builder just posted above you explaining the proper way to insulate his plates. So hopefully people follow his advice since they won't listen to me. not like I know ANYTHING about safety :)

To be honest, if you only press a little amounts, you needn't insulated plank.

dabpress.com,
Reactions: psychonaut

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I didn’t realize I was starting such a controversial subject.

I mainly use the puck to prevent the ram from marring the beautiful surface of the dabpress. :)

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Hey guys and gals, I present you with my review of DP-RP33, this is Dabpress's 3x3" Plate Kit. This kit was purchased from Amazon and as normal with dabpress packages was insulated quite well in a discreet package. It was also included inside of the Amazon box with my snacks and other shipables. I received the kit via Prime in 2 shipping days. When I opened the box, it was not assembled like the caged cube kit. It included a bamboo plank, top and bottom plates, rosin control box, dual heaters w/ separate dual thermocouples, allen wrenches, extra fuses and bolts to mount the top plate to your press.

It took me about 10 minutes to get everything setup and ready to heat up the press. It took roughly 20 minutes to heat up the plates and settle on the temperature I desired at the plates (205-210). I believe this was in part to the shop press being attached to the top plate, I noticed the top plate was running a bit hotter at first before it settled in.

I did a squish with the kit, using 7 grams of scouts honor (GSC x TRUTH) flowers at 62% RH, using a 2.5x3.5" 160 micron rosin filter. I utilized bottle tech for the filter packaging. I pressed the buds for 2 minutes using about 1300 PSI. The yields were 20% which I thought was fantastic. A good amount of oil got off of the plates and was a real pain to collect! Not that I'm complaining, I love sappy dabs. :drool:

Overall I feel like this is a great kit, easy to setup and use. For those who are either on a tight budget, who really only want a small footprint such as this (9 sq/in), or who is a handy craftsman and have a design they are going to build around this kit, this is a fantastic kit. If you are willing to spend a little more the caged cube kit I think is a superior product, but it has limits that this kit doesn't such as the opening to place your material.

Keeping the plates aligned will require some focus and attention, be sure to have some thermal gloves if you need to adjust the position of the plates as they are hot!

I think that's about it, here is my assembly video and then a post-squish review/impression. I apologize for the trouble with the hydraulics, I believe there is some air in the line and need to perform maintenance.

Here is the squish

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Thanks! I'll have to give that a shot, this was the first time I had about 80% sap to deal with, not to mention getting on my fingers!

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Dabpress is going to need to design a wardrobe to wear when pressing! Thermal gloves, eye protection, maybe we can get a cape too. RosinMan! :lol:

I received dp-mj37 magnetic loading jig from Amazon, and it is indeed well made. The magnets are pretty strong and it looks like a perfect fit for the reynolds pre-cut baking sheets! Here is about 1/8th of loose flowers inside the parchment.

Yij7Q1W.jpg

I haven't used it yet but would like to soon. I am more on a vertical filter build (i.e. bottle tech) kick lately, this looks like it would work good for just loose nugs possibly, it looks like it would have worked well for my 2gr Strawnana squish I did last week and posted.

mc

Dabpress is going to need to design a wardrobe to wear when pressing! Thermal gloves, eye protection, maybe we can get a cape too. RosinMan! :lol:

I received dp-mj37 magnetic loading jig from Amazon, and it is indeed well made. The magnets are pretty strong and it looks like a perfect fit for the reynolds pre-cut baking sheets! Here is about 1/8th of loose flowers inside the parchment.

I haven't used it yet but would like to soon. I am more on a vertical filter build (i.e. bottle tech) kick lately, this looks like it would work good for just loose nugs possibly, it looks like it would have worked well for my 2gr Strawnana squish I did last week and posted.

What exactly is that jig for?

Top Bottom