What happened to my glass?

onmahgrizzyy

I recently let my Toro soak way too long with grunge off (like a month). When I emptied it out there were some white rings around the percs and difuser. I tried soaking in vinegar for a few days which did nothing. Tried Oxiclean after doing some googling which made it worse it seems? I've got CLR, Alconox, Citric acid, and PBW cleaner on their way from amazon. Anyone have suggestions or tips? Someone on reddit suggested it may be bloom and said I'm likely screwed

CANtalk

Very strong cleaners can interact with calcium in glass (especially cheaper glass) during extended contact and cause white staining. CLR may help, but the staining may also be permanent. If the staining is permanent, it's unfortunate but only an aesthetic nuisance.

FYI, when using PBW with hot water to clean glass, I rinse my water pieces with distilled water to avoid any potential white staining. I'd do similar with any potent cleaners that can cause calcium staining.

:peace: :leaf:

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Would a cycle through a kiln help if there is permanent haze/staining?

Just a thought, no idea if it's worth considering but it would be fairly easy to find someone happy to rekiln a legit Toro. Definitely seek an experts opinion it might make it worse for all I know.

Any luck with any of those chemicals? Some good options. Alcohol and salt have become my go to for cleaning. Quite foolproof and cheap using metho and table salt.

You describe rings which might indicate that the piece was not completely full when soaking. I would think you should be able to get rid of them, but it's always hard washing internal walls that can't be scrubbed.
If any amount can be cleaned that is a good sign.

PBW with it's surfactant action might be a good bet. Note I prefer multiple fast washes with near boiling water, soaking can introduce the same issue. Never leave an air-gap if soaking for long periods especially. The outer layer of glass chemically interacts with the environment so you want to be a little careful with it.

Ultimately it's at least only a slight aesthetic blight. Better than a break!
Hope you get it sorted.

MoltenTiger,
Reactions: LesPlenty

howie105

I recently let my Toro soak way too long with grunge off (like a month). When I emptied it out there were some white rings around the percs and difuser. I tried soaking in vinegar for a few days which did nothing. Tried Oxiclean after doing some googling which made it worse it seems? I've got CLR, Alconox, Citric acid, and PBW cleaner on their way from amazon. Anyone have suggestions or tips? Someone on reddit suggested it may be bloom and said I'm likely screwed
Is the glass etched, or is it a buildup on the surface?

onmahgrizzyy

Just a thought, no idea if it's worth considering but it would be fairly easy to find someone happy to rekiln a legit Toro. Definitely seek an experts opinion it might make it worse for all I know.

Any luck with any of those chemicals? Some good options. Alcohol and salt have become my go to for cleaning. Quite foolproof and cheap using metho and table salt.

You describe rings which might indicate that the piece was not completely full when soaking. I would think you should be able to get rid of them, but it's always hard washing internal walls that can't be scrubbed.

PBW with it's surfactant action might be a good bet. Note I prefer multiple fast washes with near boiling water, soaking can introduce the same issue. Never leave an air-gap if soaking for long periods especially. The outer layer of glass chemically interacts with the environment so you want to be a little careful with it.

Hope you get it sorted.
I think the Clr and the pbw made it slightly better. Going to run a few more rounds and hope for the best. How do I go about finding a glass blower? Honestly I never use the thing since I got a ball vape as it’s a bit too big for a vape tube, so I’d like to get it to a sellable condition if possible

onmahgrizzyy

Hope you get it sorted.
I think the Clr and the pbw made it slightly better. Going to run a few more rounds and hope for the best. How do I go about finding a glass blower? Honestly I never use the thing since I got a ball vape as it’s a bit too big for a vape tube
Chk out “Snowtree”
this is pretty cool but I don’t think I’d be able to get the inside part into the percs and diffuser

Top Bottom