Western Fly Fishing and Tenkara

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I have found that most local fly shops will have some rack or case of used and items on consignment... You are not going to find this at the sporting goods stores, but the dedicated fly shops do have a used rack.

On the fly tying side, and for just all around excellent instructional videos, you will have a hard time finding better instructors than Mad River Outfitters/BrianFlechsig and Kelly Galloup, both are excellent.

I received this Orvis Premium Fly Tying Kit two years ago for Xmas, but never got around to it till a few weeks ago. Keep your eyes out around the holidays, I remember substantial discounts- which is rare from Orvis. They heavily discount clothing and dog product year round, but never on their fishing products.

Regarding the kit, it has been an excellent start. Knowing I am in this for a long time, the only items I am going to upgrade are the thread bobbin and I would like to upgrade to a fully articulating rotary vise. The kit arrives stocked to tie 16 different patterns, 10 flies for each pattern = 160 flies! I am going to have to get a bigger fly box!

Every fly in the box requires slightly different techniques to use different materials, from fur to feathers, etc, and various sizes. When done with the kit, one should have a really well rounded skillset and the foundation to tie any other design. It helps that 14 the 16 patterns are stuff I fish, so I am not wasting time tying stuff I won't use.

Every fly I tie is a notable improvement on the last. With each new pattern of 10 flies, the first 1-3 attempts tend to be not so pretty, the rest are looking awesome- downright exceptional if I say so myself! I cant wait to go further down this rabbit hole.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Well, I made my decision and pulled the trigger on that Redington Field Kit - Trout rod/reel/line/case combo.

It's the one in the green case gone over first in this video (not the one you see in the pic in the thumbnail before you press play):

Also, @FlyingLow , I noticed that Orvis offers virtual in-person fly-tying classes one can one can register to attend for free. I thought that was kinda cool.
Here's a link: https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-tying-101

Last edited:

Ramahs

Now I need to decide and invest in how I want to carry my gear.
The options appear to be a vest, a sling pack, a hip/chest pack, a backpack, or a more minimalist lanyard setup.

I'm thinking a vest, but that could get hot in the warmer months.
What kind of setups do some of you use to carry your necessary gear when on the water?

danjens

What kind of setups do some of you use to carry your necessary gear when on the water?
Lanyard and a fanny pack is usually my go to. Little fly box in the Fanny pack, along with a vape of some sort of course. Tippet and net on the belt of the pack, and tools on the lanyard.
I can cover a lot more water if Im not shlepping a bunch of stuff around.

Ramahs

And with those lanyards, though there are some available from popular companies like Orvis, one could get creative and make their own custom lanyards with whatever they want on it.

I could envision even doing something artistic, like using cool heady glass beads or pennants made by a glass blower to deck it out 😁

Last edited:
Ramahs,
Reactions: danjens

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Well, I made my decision and pulled the trigger on that Redington Field Kit - Trout rod/reel/line/case combo.

It's the one in the green case gone over first in this video (not the one you see in the pic in the thumbnail before you press play):

Also, @FlyingLow , I noticed that Orvis offers virtual in-person fly-tying classes one can one can register to attend for free. I thought that was kinda cool.
Here's a link: https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/fly-tying-101

Great move!
I mentioned it in the Get Bent! thread, the Orvis lesson is awesome. It used to be a group class, and with COVID they switched to one on one. Pretty tough to beat this kind of introduction! I took it when I was getting started and it really helped me get traction with the proper technique.

Now I need to decide and invest in how I want to carry my gear.
The options appear to be a vest, a sling pack, a hip/chest pack, a backpack, or a more minimalist lanyard setup.

I went through and tried everything. If I am going to be remote all day, I like to have gear that is comfortable and supports me.

I found the vest was meh. I fish in all seasons, and it did not work well for my winter, heaviest layer combinations. It will not overheat you in the summer- all brands are super light.

I got a Patagonia Stealth sling bag, and did not like having all weight on one shoulder all day and I hated the back and forth to access gear- I passed on the backpack for the same reason. If I were to do a sling, I would have to do one that is symmetrical so that I could swap shoulders throughout the day. I did really like the volume size of the sling...

I really appreciate the lanyard approach- lightweight, just what you need, and it is all right there, BUT it will never be able to meet my needs [unless I am on a drift boat with a cooler]. I believe the day is much more enjoyable when packing in food and vapes- that shit just don't fit on a lanyard. Be carful with glass though- in time, all fishers eventually have a good slip and fall into the water/on the bank/on the rocks! I've had a few yard sales myself, having to go downstream for stray gear...

My favored approach is chest packs. It puts all my tools and flies right in front of me, right where I need it and it does not get in the way. I have a several versions, but my smallest is a no-name about the size of a Fishpond San Jaun vertical pack (but cost $20). This is my go-to for tools+flies... a family pack.

My next step up in size is the to the Simms Freestone ($50 used). I opt for this pack 75% of the time. It is slim profile, holds multiple fly boxes, tools, and plenty of room for vapes and a pair of Jyarz Classics.

On the big end, I also have the new Orvis chest pack with the recessed tipped holder, and it is NICE. Comfortable and big, it will hold a few snack pack/lunchable-sized packs plus anything else you might need. I can fit my rain jacket in this pack... or Tafee Bowle.

So far, I've tied 10+ zebra midges, 10+ bead head caddis larva, and tonight I am going to try to knock out 5-10 San Juan worms. These should be fast and easy.

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Too late to edit last post, but chest packs also sit highest of any of the options [except for lanyard]. Something to keep in mind if wading in deeper waters.

FlyingLow,

Ramahs

Yeah. I do like the idea of the waist/chest packs because you can wear them comfortably around the waist, but have the ability to raise it up to the chest if you need to wade a bit deep.

You don't find that much bulk right there high on the chest to get to much in your way, @FlyingLow ?

I was thinking of just getting something little and cheap, like the little cheap shitty one in the link below, just to get me out there for now. Then I can get something better once I know a little more of what I want.

In other news, something like this would be a nice minimalistic lanyard for when I eventually get a Tenkara pole, and it would appear not too difficult to make one myself:

Last edited:
Ramahs,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
That one you linked is PERFECT! Just like mine, a variant/knockoff of the FishPond San Juan... perfect size and will carry all you need+DynavapJyarzTorch and pen.

FlyingLow,
Reactions: Ramahs

Ramahs

That one you linked is PERFECT! Just like mine, a variant/knockoff of the FishPond San Juan... perfect size and will carry all you need+DynavapJyarzTorch and pen.

I was in a local Cabela's yesterday, and they had this one for just a few dollars more than that one I linked to on Amazon before. Same basic thing:

I also picked up one of these Measure Nets when I was at Cabelas. I love that you can quickly see the length of the fish with the marks printed on the inside/bottom of the rubber net:

----------------------------------------------

In other news, I think I'm going to go look at getting a GoPro today, as I'm now thinking of starting a Youtube channel to start documenting my fly fishing journey as I learn.

Ramahs,

Glorg

I wanted to get into tenkara a while back and got some bits of gear but never made my way out to actually do it lol, maybe this thread will give me the push to do it this year, there’s also some cool hand reels (no pole) styles that look fun too.

Glorg,

Ramahs

I wanted to get into tenkara a while back and got some bits of gear but never made my way out to actually do it lol, maybe this thread will give me the push to do it this year, there’s also some cool hand reels (no pole) styles that look fun too.

Hell yeah, and then come back and share the tales of your glories!

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I had been planning for 4 days fishing+2 days Billy Strings at Red Rocks, but sadly just got skunked out of tickets...

FlyingLow,
  • Sad

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I recently got to get my hands on the complete tenkara lineup, from the short multi-length poles to the 14'... they really are cool setups, ultimate minimalistic setup.

That said, I again passed on the special pricing... I just feel I get out so rarely to fish, when I do I am just more comfortable having more versatility.

FlyingLow,

Ramahs

Yeah, well...I just got me a fishin' hat! 😁

IMG-2462.jpg

Ramahs,
Top Bottom