Wax Questions

TooShort

Hey FC,

So I've started vaping about a month ago using mainly oils, and recently I've been getting into wax more since it won't drip out as easily from omicron carts. I was wondering what properties are in good wax, so far I've seen answers from light yellow color, to no gas smells. Also I've got a piece of wax that I think smells kind of funky not sure if it's gas or just how it should smell. It also looks different from the waxes I've been getting as most of mine are really light honeycombs. This one seems kind of thick and chunky.

15fg57k.jpg

TooShort,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
IMO, more important than how strong it is(or smell/color), is how purged it is.. the most sure way is to test it.. i look for smoothness mostly. good wax/shatter, is super smooth(not harsh).. you should get a nice, welcomed chest-tingling cough.. but not a deep hacking, uncomfortable cough. it seems a lot of people out there have low standards for how purged their wax is.. they might think if they cant taste it then its purged.. but if its not totally smooth, then it can be purged more IME. hacking up a lung is not a good sign of quality IMO... even if it gets you really medicated. you can't know better, until you have better(or better yet, make better yourself).
there are a lot of factors that play into the features of the end product.. but purge is most important IMO, and hardest to judge by looking.. it's pretty much impossible to judge a waxes purge by looks alone. w/ shatter on the other hand, you can get a pretty good idea based on how cloudy or clear it is.

Buildozer,
Reactions: TooShort

TooShort

thanks for the advice build, unfortunately I don't have the means to make my own wax and have been picking up from collectives. Since smell is not much of a factor in determining a good purge, is it safe to say smelling wax can only give you an idea about how it may taste? What are some good questions to ask the collective to get an idea of how well purged they are? I'm guessing the method and length of purge is important?

TooShort,

Buildozer

Baked & Fried
thanks for the advice build, unfortunately I don't have the means to make my own wax and have been picking up from collectives. Since smell is not much of a factor in determining a good purge, is it safe to say smelling wax can only give you an idea about how it may taste? What are some good questions to ask the collective to get an idea of how well purged they are? I'm guessing the method and length of purge is important?
IMO yes, to the first question.. it should pretty much taste like it smells. it's hard to say how to judge by eye and smell.. really you gotta just take the risk, buy it, and try it. as far as taste and texture go.. its a preference thing.. i'm more concerned w/ smoothness and effect first and foremost.
i usually avoid buying wax from collectives.. when i do i buy a brand called PureXtracts.. they have been pretty consistent for me.. i recommend finding good brands if you can, and sticking to them, that should ensure some consistency.
i wouldn't expect a very informative answer from collectives... IME they will tell you what they think you want to hear a lot of the time, so keep that in mind... also, i wouldn't expect most of them to know all the details of the process of all the solvent extracts they sell.. you gotta decide how you're gonna decide for yourself. usually you get what you pay for w/ wax.
ask to see shatter, check for cloudiness.. w/ shatter color means more IMO. wax can alter color during the whipping process and be tricky to judge.

this is kinda tricky to talk about.. because there are things i would look for, but i'm basing that on my experiences making BHO out of everything from shitty trim to good cured/well stored trim.. to shitty nug to good cured/well stored nug. its hard to tell you what to look for when you haven't done experiments yourself. i wouldn't want you to misunderstand and get mislead, looking for the wrong things.. the more familiar you get w/ it, the more you will have your own things you look for. good luck, sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

Buildozer,
Most collectives won't know anything about the purge process because their waxes are from vendors. The one indicator for underpurged wax is a wet appearance.

purplek,
Top Bottom