Volcano Hybrid

WakeVape&Bake

Have you ever bought a brand new car and had a major recall? It sucks but you don’t get a new car. They fix it. The assembly line is updated. Life goes on. But it does suck. :(

this isn´t a car though, it is a vaporizer...

a recall here would be no problem at all: send return shipping label via email, package the Hybrid into packet, put label on it, send back and get a new Hybrid.

if the SS ring sits loose on the aluminium ring i will literally laugh my ass off, that is for sure.

We will see if this is a true fix, or bootlegged attempt of a fix, I'm not so excited. I'm very negative at this point, boundless, ghost, grasshopper and a bunch of other companies just do an RMA send a return shipping label to get you up and running as soon as possible. They didnt even offer expedited or over night shipping for the new chamber to get us back to using our devices fast, no time frame given, we don't even know if the new chambers are made or even ready to ship!!! Lol! I just have to laugh at this whole thing.

yeah, there is no shipping frame given, they explicitly state there is no express shipping on the item and there is something along the lines of "the delivery date depends on when your order was placed"

it could very well be that these are not even ready to ship :-)

WakeVape&Bake,
Reactions: lokiki

david8613

I was thinking also, if this is such a premium product, aluminum is lower quality material for a vaporizer, stainless steel it might lose conduction speed, why didnt they go titanium isn't that a better material? It would heat up as fast as aluminum. would have paid for it.

david8613,
Reactions: lokiki

tennisguru1

EXCELSIOR!
I was thinking also, if this is such a premium product, aluminum is lower quality material for a vaporizer, stainless steel it might lose conduction speed, why didnt they go titanium isn't that a better material? It would heat up as fast as aluminum. would have paid for it.

I thought at top dollar $700 + reducer & extra complete set of bags, whip
extra chamber lol didn't know I was getting ebay knockoffs.
Paid for real top quality got cheap crap.

david8613

Man it's such a shame we are going through this. I cleaned my hybrid again as instructed before use by storz and bickle. I ran super bag this time using the work flows in the app. The experience was incredible! Absolutely incredible! Vapor was so rich, dense, with better flavor, very intense effects! I cant believe how easily this extracts, my avb was perfect. This app is the coolest thing, I love being able to customize the experience, next i want try a strictly flavor bag. I am so torn about this situation. Just look at the this bag, vapor is ridiculous!!!

Last edited:

barnardbarnard

So in the absence of any new SS chamber reducer to go with the new SS ring "fix" if the mating surfaces are not alu on alu would that mean that the new SS ring and current alu chamber reducer together would be ok as that's alu on SS not alu on alu? Or would that still result in the dust?

May be a case of wait and see!

barnardbarnard,

Vaporooni

Accessory Maker
https://www.puffitup.com/Volcano-digital-p/vol.digit-easy.htm If you want a stainless steel vape path... In the last 10 years of vaping. Out of all the vaporizers I've had and believe me I've had them all. I always come back to the Volcano. Even took them apart to see how they worked. Believe me every vaporizer I took apart had a flaw to it. Out of all, The Volcano was the only one I felt safe using. And now the Hybrid will be coming apart.

Last edited:

snamuh

ghost
So in the absence of any new SS chamber reducer to go with the new SS ring "fix" if the mating surfaces are not alu on alu would that mean that the new SS ring and current alu chamber reducer together would be ok as that's alu on SS not alu on alu? Or would that still result in the dust?

Isn't ss harder than alluminum? I would assume ss would scratch up the alluminum more... Like how diamonds can scratch any other rock. (Cleavage?)

thc_technologist

cannabis tech enthusiast
Calling is a good idea. I’m going to call on Monday and ask if the new heating ring is attached or loose. I will likely record the call (if anyone else does this, make sure to inform everyone on the call).

Contact info:

S&B America

Mon - Fri
9am - 4pm PT
11am - 7pm ET

(510) 451-1553

They do have voicemail, so if no one picks up I would encourage people to leave messages.

Edit - I probably don’t have to say this but, please be polite if you call. The people you speak to on the phone are probably not the Volcano engineers. Even if they are... we’re more likely to end up with a good outcome if people are polite. No one wants to help someone that’s mean to them.

Last edited:

Vapenayshyall

Calling is a good idea. I’m going to call on Monday and ask if the new heating ring is attached or loose. I will likely record the call (if anyone else does this, make sure to inform everyone on the call).

Contact info:

S&B America

Mon - Fri
9am - 4pm PT
11am - 7pm ET

(510) 451-1553

They do have voicemail, so if no one picks up I would encourage people to leave messages.

Edit - I probably don’t have to say this but, please be polite if you call. The people you speak to on the phone are probably not the Volcano engineers. Even if they are... we’re more likely to end up with a good outcome if people are polite. No one wants to help someone that’s mean to them.
I don’t think you have to inform the other party of the call as long as you are a party involved in the call. Maybe different where you live but I think in Canada that’s the law.

Apparently the plenty has an aluminum heater ring that mates with the stainless steel filling chamber. People are reporting the same grey dust and scratched up heating rings.

lokiki

when running my finger along the ring on the volcano I get some silverish dust, definately not grey, and it glitters silvery in light, is this oxidation aswell?
Was cleaning my vapes a bit and did this when I noticed this, could be mentioned before. was also underneath the chamber, the one in the orange ring.

I have a microscope that can attach to the pc and can try to check this out on a q tip or something else, maybe a paper tissue, and see on there how it looks like when magnified. will upload pics when I do so, but keep in mind I'm just an amateur in this and it's a pretty old microscope ( great for checking trichromes etc tho ;p )

I really do hope the ss ring and chamber will solve the issues but it seems like a cheap way out for them.. still worried about the plastic because ss takes longer to heat up but also holds heat longer..
It'd be great if I'm worried for nothing but something tells me I got fked over on a 'throwaway' product..
I'll definately check this week with the microscope

Last edited:
lokiki,
Reactions: snamuh

Pablopicasso

This is from vapo-city(German website )when you buy volcano hybrid:

Vocano Hybrid possible health risks from aluminum abrasion

As we have learned, there are potential health risks with the Volcano Hybrid due to aluminum abrasion at the herb chamber.
This abrasion can occur if the chamber is turned relatively forcefully on the vaporizer.

Next to this point is the closure of the herb chamber, where the herb chamber comes into contact with the inner stainless steel part of the chamber lid, a danger point for abrasion.

Our technician was able to generate small amounts of aluminum debris that could possibly get into the airflow by firmly attaching the chamber to the hybrid and repeatedly tightening the chamber.

Due to the possible health risks associated with the absorption of large quantities of aluminum, we recommend the following:
Clean the chamber, sieves and the top of the hybrid with a damp cloth before each use.

Unfortunately, although the problem has been known in the US for at least 2 weeks, there is no official information from Storz & Bickel in Germany.

In the USA, Storz and Bickel have published a modified instruction manual, which states that the device or the herb chamber should be cleaned with a damp cloth before / after each use.

According to a telephone call we got from Storz & Bickel today, the problem is currently being checked.

If there is any news on the topic, we will forward it directly.

I been lucky enough to be asked to return my Volcano for studying the problem in specific
productions directly from S&B German.
I feel sorry and worried for people that bought it and can't return it.
I think S&B slowly is going to lose respect from community and olso making lots of problems to official retailers that are left in the dark like you and in need to do their own studyies in order to understand what is going on.
Just a suggestion .... don't use it until you sure what you are inhaling

Vaposhop Europe and vapefield uk hybrid is out of stock

Last edited:

snamuh

ghost
when running my finger along the ring on the volcano I get some silverish dust, definately not grey, and it glitters silvery in light, is this oxidation aswell?
Was cleaning my vapes a bit and did this when I noticed this, could be mentioned before. was also underneath the chamber, the one in the orange ring.

I have a microscope that can attach to the pc and can try to check this out on a q tip or something else, maybe a paper tissue, and see on there how it looks like when magnified. will upload pics when I do so, but keep in mind I'm just an amateur in this and it's a pretty old microscope ( great for checking trichromes etc tho ;p )

I really do hope the ss ring and chamber will solve the issues but it seems like a cheap way out for them.. still worried about the plastic because ss takes longer to heat up but also holds heat longer..
It'd be great if I'm worried for nothing but something tells me I got fked over on a 'throwaway' product..
I'll definately check this week with the microscope
There is oxidation and actual flakes of alluminum.

Technically they haven't even officially acknowledged the flakes (or melting).

Last edited:

david8613

Look a little farther back in this thread, I posted some pictures of residue left on a paper towel after cleaning, with the flash on you can see the aluminum flakes shining with the grey residue from aluminum oxidation on ring. So in reality there are 3 issues going on with the hybrid.

1) melting chamber plastic.
2) aluminum oxidation or dust, not sure what to call it.
3) and now flakes of aluminum in vapor path.

lokiki

Look a little farther back in this thread, I posted some pictures of residue left on a paper towel after cleaning, with the flash on you can see the aluminum flakes shining with the grey residue from aluminum oxidation on ring. So in reality there are 3 issues going on with the hybrid.

1) melting chamber plastic.
2) aluminum oxidation or dust, not sure what to call it.
3) and now flakes of aluminum in vapor path.
Ah yes , damn.. that's awful to see. it looks the same here.
No need for me to put it under a microscope since we know what it is.

hope they properly fix this, a recall seems logical to do. I don't feel comfortable using it anymore

david8613

Ah yes , damn.. that's awful to see. it looks the same here.
No need for me to put it under a microscope since we know what it is.

hope they properly fix this, a recall seems logical to do. I don't feel comfortable using it anymore

You should do the microscope thing. The More information we have the better.

I would like someone to deconstruct the top ring on hybrid, to see how the ring might be removed and be replaced with the new steel ring. If it doesnt come out then we know for sure the new ring is just gonna lay on top of aluminum ring.

david8613,

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
You should do the microscope thing. The More information we have the better.

I would like someone to deconstruct the top ring on hybrid, to see how the ring might be removed and be replaced with the new steel ring. If it doesnt come out then we know for sure the new ring is just gonna lay on top of aluminum ring.
I wouldn’t recommend anybody to try this! If you destroy something your warranty is over!

Top Bottom