Virtual Banquet Thread

MinnBobber

Doesn't the water have to be constantly in motion for sous vide?

Water circulation is needed IF the items are tightly packed in the water---like you have 4 pint bags crammed into the water AND the heat source is just the small 2" heater in one "corner" of the pot ( the sous vide cooker). With that scenario, one portion of the water might be different temp/isolated from getting the heated water. So, water needs circulation to equalize temp.

On stovetop, with big pot with lots of water AND heat source is big diameter flame heating the whole pot relatively equally, circulation is not needed. You just dial in the temp via constant checking.

FYI, if you want to try, there is a handy and cheap small hand-operated vacuum pump and a few special bags with the vacuum hole----all for maybe $12 ?

arf777

No longer dogless
Doesn't the water have to be constantly in motion for sous vide?

Depends on the type of heater. Some rigs do that, and if like the Anova they are insertion heaters, it is more necessary. Or for some professional units, where the heater is fixed to the back wall of the water bath, it is also helpful.

But I use a Sous Vide brand water oven, where the heat comes from the sides and the bottom, no water motion, but the heat is uniform after initial heat up (I've checked with thermometers).

Most units these day ARE insertion models, though, and for one of those, I'd want some kind of motion.

arf777,
Reactions: grokit

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I think this is self explanatory.....

photo-9%208.42.31%20AM_zpstsxykvkz.jpg

arf777

No longer dogless
I think this is self explanatory.....

photo-9%208.42.31%20AM_zpstsxykvkz.jpg

This reminds me of a discussion I had with another culinary type on Facebook yesterday.

He was wondering why cookies aren't called "bakies", as they are specifically baked, and oh so many other things are "cooked".

My theory was that "bakies" are people who are baked, not tasty dough that is baked. Which allows bakies to eat cookies, not the other way around. Which is fortunate, as i do not want to be eaten by a cookie. Cookie Monster, maybe, but not a cookie.

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Had my annual Christmas dinner party last night. Didn't get one pic of the food, lol. Probably cause I was too damn busy making it! I think I've come to the conclusion that if I want to enjoy one of my parties, I need to either cater it or get some kitchen help.

The menu:

Appetizers - Bacon wrapped dates
Polenta squares with butternut squash mousse and a slice of sage sausage
Filo wrapped asparagus 'cigars'
Main Course - Fruited pork tenderloin roast
Smashed potatoes
Peas with pancetta and shallots
Tossed salad
Dessert - Fruit tart - shortbread crust with custard and fresh fruit.

I did get a pic of the table before we destroyed it, lol.

photo-5_zps6dp6picu.jpg

Last edited:

arf777

No longer dogless
Had my annual Christmas dinner party last night. Didn't get one pic of the food, lol. Probably cause I was too damn busy making it! I think I've come to the conclusion that if I want to enjoy one of my parties, I need to either cater it or get some kitchen help.

The menu:

Appetizers - Bacon wrapped dates
Polenta squares with butternut squash mousse and a slice of sage sausage
Filo wrapped asparagus 'cigars'
Main Course - Fruited pork tenderloin roast
Smashed potatoes
Peas with pancetta and shallots
Tossed salad
Dessert - Fruit tart - shortbread crust with custard and fresh fruit.

I did get a pic of the table before we destroyed it, lol.

photo-5_zps6dp6picu.jpg

Noice! I almost never remember to take a pic of the table.

arf777,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Just remembered that I did take one pic while I was cooking.

My grandmother was Romanian. One of my fondest memories was sitting in her kitchen as she cooked up one of her wonderful meals. My favorite was mamaliga and chicken tocana (polenta and chicken stew). She made her mamaliga with a mamaliga stick that she had carved. I inherited that stick when she passed and used it when making the polenta I used for the appetizers....

photo%203_zpsutaya8ao.jpg

She also ran a boarding house and I can vividly remember her brandishing that same mamaliga stick at anyone who fucked with her..... :lol:

arf777

No longer dogless
The universe is conspiring against my bacon.
Got my smoker de-spidered, got sacks of pecan and maple wood, a pork belly curing for a couple weeks in Drambuie, sherry, maple, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Go to smoke it, and my racks aren't around. They appear to have been in the same box my missing pasta gear was in when I moved.

AAAAAARGH!!!!

MinnBobber

Go to smoke it, and my racks aren't around. They appear to have been in the same box my missing pasta gear was in when I moved.
I think my missing socks are in that box too ;)

I've just had the best store bought bacon I've ever had. The meat mgr was saying he used to make his own until he found this. I ordered a pound to try and he said--you'll just be back next week for another pound-so I got 2 lbs. Great bacon!

My dilemma is this: some pieces were 80% + meat and little fat. So how is that a dilemma you ask?
Previous cooking method is 350 F in over for 30/40 minutes until it gets uber crisp, like crumbly fall apart crisp. It now seems most of that effect is the fatty part, which usually is 90% but now it is minimal.
I did about 330 degrees this time, for a little longer.
Excellent BUT it seemed like this method might have toughened up the meat???

Is there any way to get very meaty bacon to be very crumbly??
How would you cook this thick and meaty bacon?
Thanks

arf777

No longer dogless
I think my missing socks are in that box too ;)

I've just had the best store bought bacon I've ever had. The meat mgr was saying he used to make his own until he found this. I ordered a pound to try and he said--you'll just be back next week for another pound-so I got 2 lbs. Great bacon!

My dilemma is this: some pieces were 80% + meat and little fat. So how is that a dilemma you ask?
Previous cooking method is 350 F in over for 30/40 minutes until it gets uber crisp, like crumbly fall apart crisp. It now seems most of that effect is the fatty part, which usually is 90% but now it is minimal.
I did about 330 degrees this time, for a little longer.
Excellent BUT it seemed like this method might have toughened up the meat???

Is there any way to get very meaty bacon to be very crumbly??
How would you cook this thick and meaty bacon?
Thanks

There are two main cheats for getting lower fat bacon crispy.

The first one only sometimes works, basically only if they bacon isn't too lean. You put some water in the pan at the beginning of the cooking (in a frying pan, not oven). The water renders some of the fat out quicker and more efficiently than just heat does.

The other, and frankly more reliable, thing is to just add more fat. Get some uncured pork belly, some cheaper bacon, or some pork trimmings, render the fat out of that (in a saucepan or dutch oven with water- plenty of videos on youtube on fat rendering), then add that fat to the sheetpan or frying pan you're cooking the less fatty bacon in. Or just buy some lard and use that.

MinnBobber

Get some uncured pork belly, some cheaper bacon, or some pork trimmings, render the fat out of that (in a saucepan or dutch oven with water- plenty of videos on youtube on fat rendering
Thanks for the info and video. Learned about rendering lard today.
Found that Leaf Lard, from around pig kidneys is the best/ has neutral taste.
Also, for the healthy version with high omega 3s and Vitamin D, need to find pastured pig leaf lard, but I'm going to look.

Also would love to try it for homemade pie crusts----which I have not done yet/lately. Although rolling out the pie crust was always my biggest issue :)
Thanks

MinnBobber,

arf777

No longer dogless
Luckily, I can get good lard where I live, so I usually only render my own bacon fat and duck fat. Don't really like grappling with the pig kidneys if I don't have to.

arf777,

Nooky72

Dog Marley
iDl8QcQ.png

Looking for an easier way to get baked in the morning? Cannabis-infused coffee may be exactly what you need.

This THC-laced coffee was created by House of Jane, a company that specializes in making Cannabis-infused drinks. They offer medium, light and dark roast options. They also have a mocha-flavored option as well as a decaf blend.

Jane’s Brew is conveniently packaged in C-Cup’s so you can just pop one into your Keurig in the morning. Just make sure your co-workers don’t accidentally get ahold of any.

arf777

No longer dogless
iDl8QcQ.png

Looking for an easier way to get baked in the morning? Cannabis-infused coffee may be exactly what you need.

This THC-laced coffee was created by House of Jane, a company that specializes in making Cannabis-infused drinks. They offer medium, light and dark roast options. They also have a mocha-flavored option as well as a decaf blend.

Jane’s Brew is conveniently packaged in C-Cup’s so you can just pop one into your Keurig in the morning. Just make sure your co-workers don’t accidentally get ahold of any.

Wish it wasn't in those damn cups. Multiple class action law suits against Keurig over the machines making people sick - you cannot properly disinfect the water tank in many models. And the cups themselves are so wasteful the inventor (who sold the patent to Green Mountain) refuses to use them.

Nooky72

Dog Marley
Wish it wasn't in those damn cups. Multiple class action law suits against Keurig over the machines making people sick - you cannot properly disinfect the water tank in many models. And the cups themselves are so wasteful the inventor (who sold the patent to Green Mountain) refuses to use them.
Cheers for the legal update, I just thought the cups looked cool and that it was another addition to the ever-expanding product line up Colorado way. On the basis of your info I would steer clear!

Nooky72,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Been meaning to post these... a couple of the meals made recently.

First, sweet potato pancakes with sliced bananas...

photo-9_zpsvvcvrvc7.jpg

And then, Gnocchi mac and cheese.... this is a little too heavy for my liking. Made it to take to my dad. I prefer it with 'regular' noodles. Made with gruyere and fontina cheeses.

photo-10_zps1cvrhta5.jpg

arf777

No longer dogless
A rather obscenely rich breakfast. My stoner ass forgot I had some monkfish truffling for a couple days.

Comfited in butter, then served in a sauce of truffle butter, a little pinot grigio, truffles, cream, and lemon zest

6nkN5JI.jpg

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Gotta get a new grill... Should I go cheapo or go with a Weber? Had bad experience with our last Kitchen Aid... Looking for 3 burner propane, not needing anything too big.

FlyingLow,

arf777

No longer dogless
Webers never disappoint. But I have never had a problem with a Char-Broil, either.

arf777,
Top Bottom