VICE.......Marijuana is BIG BUSINESS......

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I saw the episode....Damn shame.

Once you legalize something the next steps are the new regulation/laws to support legalization. In essence...once legalized the next step is the need to 'legally control' the product and process. There is a cost to that legal control that is a small price to the med-to-large businesses and is a huge cost to the small farmer. The increase in business cost for compliance while the cost of the product itself is being reduced is devastating to the small farmer.

Did anyone think the result of legalization was going to be allowing 'bath-tub gin' to continue to be produced and sold? Small craft beer companies have sprung up like crazy but they have a ton of regulations they have to adhere to. They either hired someone to deal with the regs/book keeping/taxes or came into it with that knowledge.

I applaud the states that protect the home-grower and the coops. I am not surprised when the small farmer gets caught in the middle between the the home grower and the big companies who are scaling up (to control cost, legal expenses, etc.).

We want legalization but we aren't going to get it if we ask/demand legalization be free form. What's even worse.......by the time large scale legalization makes it clear that we could/should have had a more open approach it will be too late to dismantle the mega-industry and laws.

The best that we can hope for is that we are allowed to home grow because the small farmer is going to have to adapt quickly and become part of the monolithic movement or die off. It's called capitalism now.

hd_rider

The best that we can hope for is that we are allowed to home grow because the small farmer is going to have to adapt quickly and become part of the monolithic movement or die off. It's called capitalism now.

People can home brew all the beer they want. While they wait for their beer to brew, they can go to the local liquor store and select from a plethora of different brands, flavors, and strengths of beer that they can purchase and take home.

Cannabis should be no different.

P.S. - I realize I'm preaching to the choir here.

Gunky

It's very important and strategic to retain home growing. This creates competition for large-scale businesses who might be tempted with all sorts of chemical pesticides, additives and fertilizers. Home and small growers can't compete with the big guys on price, but we can make them compete on quality.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
In WA state the medical cannabis industry will be turned over to large grows come this July 2016. The farmers that have been supplying cannabis to the medical patients will no longer be able to do that any longer.

I've been getting most of my cannabis from growers (farmers) that grow organic and pesticide free. I will miss my cannabis farmers market when the new laws take affect. We can thank our state legislature. I worry about quality.

woolspinner

In WA state the medical cannabis industry will be turned over to large grows come this July 2016. The farmers that have been supplying cannabis to the medical patients will no longer be able to do that any longer.

I've been getting most of my cannabis from growers (farmers) that grow organic and pesticide free. I will miss my cannabis farmers market when the new laws take affect. We can thank our state legislature. I worry about quality.
I get the feeling that oregon is going that way, too.

Washington totally screwed over their med patients.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
The VICE episode has this scene where they are interviewing the owner of a huge MJ company. The owner admits he voted against legalization, has no idea about the strains, etc. AND has never even tried MJ nor is he interested in trying it. He's in it for love....love of money, not love of the plant or those who use it or those who need it.

I think we'd be better off with those who have a history with MJ leading the legal way but for those who won't be able to grow for themselves....I think we'll end up have something like an MJ Whole Foods and an MJ Walmart type of choices. Either way they're going to have 'incorporated' in their name somewhere.

This is what we asked for...right?

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
6MCCrJI.jpg

If that's the new face of legal Cannabis, then I think I'm just gonna start drinking again.

Dude is crazy, for real.

bibblybobbly

That's ducked up. The UK is a million miles from even having the discussion about who can produce the legal shit. The caveman political culture fights it tooth and nail.

In the political system, I think we need to wait a little longer for the last of a particular generation of fascistic, rich, old, white c***s to die off. Then their scumbag baby-boom offspring (who were all coked-up and whatever else in their youth [*cough* David Cameron]) won't have so many scruples about legalization, at least to earn a few bucks off it for them and their cronies.

Then we can worry about the bastard mafia companies shaking everybody down.

Last edited:
bibblybobbly,
Top Bottom