Venty by Storz & Bickel

WirtDog

Reading all the discussions on the Venty leaves me conflicted? We all are anxious to see this new unit tested by some of our favorite reviewers! I have a five year old Mighty, the model in-between the OG and the plus model. I used it for a while and veered off to Dynavap/Simrell due to micro dosing and better efficiency.

My Mighty still works well. Very well cared for. It takes longer to reach max temp. Need fresh batteries but not worth the cost to send back to the factory. In the last year I followed advice from other Mighty users and used dosing capsules with the CU screen removed and a titanium mouthpiece? I have found the extraction to be more thorough and improved airflow. Unit stays cleaner and produces the best vapor I have gotten from a Mighty and without risk of burning.

So, the Venty is a nice looking new toy but is it that much faster to heat up than a Mighty+ and is the vapor superior in density or volume? I would love to get a new Venty but is it that much better than a Mighty+ to justify the outlay? I could see myself after a week or two with a new Venty saying the vapor is the same as my Mighty and why did I spend the money? If you are new to S&B then the Venty would be much more attractive.

redspawn

IMG-3392.jpg

Aaaaah now

IMG-3393.jpg

Looks bigger on pics as irl.

redspawn

Mods don't like double posts.
Use Edit button, you have a window of several hours to use it to add to a post.
Thanks for the comp pics.
Ok sorry, its all new to me here, and im learning ;)

Back to Venty… If its fully charged i will try a session imediatly. The Airflow (tested cold and with empty chamber) is much higher than from mighty+. Even on Setting 2… Cant waiiiiiit :D

BuzzDanklin

So I'll repeat the question that has not been answered: in your opinion, what is the reason pure convection vapes have smoother vapor than hybrids, and hybrids smoother than conduction?

I don't know the answer to this for sure, but I have always had a hunch that it had to do with the some of the vapor getting 'stale' with a conduction vape.

So with a convection vape like the TM2, when you draw the heated air passes through the bowl creating vapor. In the same process that the vapor is created, it is also routed to your lungs so it goes from being created to being inhaled immediately.

Now with a conduction vape, the vapor is slowly accumulating and being created at all times when the oven is up to temp. Lets say you just got done taking a draw from your Pax. You might wait 10+ seconds before taking another draw, but during that whole 10 seconds of downtime the oven is still heating the herb and creating vapor but it isnt going straight to your lungs, its hanging out in the oven/vapor path etc. 10 seconds or so later when you do take the draw you are getting some fresh vapor combined with some vapor that is more 'stale' and has been sitting in the unit for the last 10 seconds.

Now with a hybrid device you get a combination of both which allows the vapor to have middle of the road smoothness.

This also helps explain a vape like the Volcano which puts out smooth vapor initially, but if you let it sit in the bag for a while it gets less smooth and more 'stale' once again.

Maybe I am on to something, or maybe I hit the vape too much :)

jbm

Dont work sorry. Create the link works, but paste here doesnt
Are you pasting directly into the text box, or into the pop up from the link icon in the toolbar? It looks like a chain link (hur)

jbm,

bobothevaper

Ok sorry, its all new to me here, and im learning ;)

Back to Venty… If its fully charged i will try a session imediatly. The Airflow (tested cold and with empty chamber) is much higher than from mighty+. Even on Setting 2… Cant waiiiiiit :D
Cool. Really interested in hearing how it is.

bobothevaper,
Reactions: DadaBoo

redspawn

Are you pasting directly into the text box, or into the pop up from the link icon in the toolbar? It looks like a chain link (hur)
User error in this case… Thank you but i got it working :)

redspawn,
Reactions: jbm

Jack_72

Almost 450€...dream on... ridiculous.
It is not ridiculous, considering the Venty has been developed and is being entirely built in Germany under German laws and not in China like all the rest. They produce every single Mighty and Venty in Germany in their own factory so they had to produce all the machines first.
Therefore, it is not ridiculous that this release cost them 7 years. S&B have said several times that they will not announce a product unless they are 100% convinced of its state of development. And anyone who knows S&B's products knows that they are logically constructed and simply deliver.

Just have a look at their factory and working procedures. Of course, all this has to be reflected somewhere in the price. However, it is also reflected in product quality and customer satisfaction.

I just bought a Mighty+ Medic two weeks ago and I am not so sure how I should think about it. I love this device and have had a few Mightys before but damn the 20 seconds heat up time sounds just too good for me. Actually, I wanted to buy the Volcano Hybrid next.... But now I want them both, Volcano + Venty :D.

jbm

I’m really surprised by the comparison pic. I was thinking that it was even more compact than the Crafty, not bigger than the Mighty. That doesn’t look very pocket-friendly at all. I have an OG Mighty, and it mainly gets used if I’m tired at the end of the evening and just feel like spending 5 minutes getting a few quick hits with little fuss. I don’t think I want one of these. But I bet they’ll still sell a metric fuckload.

seki

It should recover very quickly once the air is not flowing. But I have not talked at all about that.

My point is that due to the lower mass of the heater compared to a ball vape, it should suffer as the rest of the portable heaters and not be able to fully heat as the air is passing, despite its 130W.
As mentioned several times, the TM2, TP80 and Hopper all show that this is possible using a small mass heater without the addition of a flow meter and in the instance of the TP80, doing it while using software originally intended for different purposes. Those definitely can keep up with my constant draw and they heat up faster than the speed currently advertised for the Venty.

If you believe an oven with small mass can keep up while air is passing, what is the point off having a high mass oven? Why go through the hassle of having ball vapes? Just use a low mass oven, as you believe it still can keep up. But in reality there is a difference, hence why ball vapes have become popular.
I don't know, what's the point of a car that goes faster? A vape can have different designs, different materials, and different use cases, right? Someone who is constantly on the go and is only at home to sleep is going to have little use for desktop ball vape, meanwhile someone suffering from chronic pain might need to have one at the ready at all times so they can medicate quickly. I don't know why people come up with the designs they do, I assume they see a need and try to fill it.

Ball vapes were cobbled together by hobbyists initially using off the shelf parts. Most of the ball vapes made by most companies today still use the same off the shelf parts. This includes the PID, coil, balls and only in one or two cases is the housing manufacturing and PID not outsourced. They also have the luxury of what is effectively an unlimited battery, so there are no constraints on power usage or design like you'd see with a portable. Part of the reason that they're are so popular is that yes, they perform well so users like them, but they're also relatively easy to manufacture mostly due to the availability of the aforementioned off the shelf components. Creating a specifically designed heater and all that entails will typically have a much higher initial capital outlay than designing and manufacturing a container for glass balls that can be wrapped with a coil. I'd bet if you counted the new releases from the last year or two, the number of new battery powered vapes is probably similar or less than the number of new ball vapes that have been released.

@invertedisdead has created a 14mm ball vape, which is about half the volume of your typical 18mm ball vape, maybe even less and it works just as well and better in some cases. So you don't need a high mass oven per se, it's just that most of the smaller manufacturers today tend to jump on trends, and some consider making their devices the same or similar size as advantageous to their respective businesses for interoperability as accessories from other manufacturers could then potentially fill gaps in their respective product lines. Sometimes economic or other considerations beyond straight performance play larger roles in the creation of some of these devices.

Mind you, in theory, and in line with German engineers reputation, it should be able to consume bawls quicker than any other battery powered device (I struggle to call it portable) just because it has almost double the power of any other commercial device out there. My point from the beginning is that I struggle to see how the flow control will help the PID as the heater should be already maxed out while the air is flowing.

And for third time, all of this is just in theory and I am willing to be proven wrong when we see it in use.
We're all waiting to see, but I think some of the examples already given in the thread have answered your questions with respect to how a small heater would be able maintain temperature given that there are no less than 3 units that have comparably sized heaters whose designs have been on the market for over 3 years now that can handle temperature over extended draws easily and without issue. All 3 of these have half the battery power or less than the Venty. I can attest to this as I have all 3 of those units.

Do you believe that S&B would launch an all new product with their first new design in almost a decade that performs worse than a Mighty but costs 25% more? I could see why someone might think that, but I'm not of that opinion personally.

Regardless of the semantics of how anyone wants to define combustion, the physical phenomenon remains unchanged.

In fact, it is interesting that you bring the toast example because there were studies warning about having too much balck areas in the toast as those areas had the same composition (with the cancer risk) as a fully burned toast. And that does not change whether you call it burnt or not.
Cancer is irrelevant to the discussion of combustion. I can stand out in the sun, get "burned" and develop skin cancer, but I don't think anyone would suggest that I combusted, or microcombusted at any point.

It's not semantics, it's a chemical process. From the Charring vs combustion thread:
No, that's not true. Black doesn't mean combustion. Black means black, usually by charring, but ironically often it's actually proof combustion didn't happen. Charcoal would be an example. Once wood products, charred and pressed, awaiting combustion on your command. Black and charred, but not yet combusted. When it is, it'll be much lighter and gray ash.

Combustion is a chemical process, not a physics issue. It means chemical reaction(s) happening and different molecules than were there before. And it liberates heat, which is how we get into trouble with it, once stated as long as there's air there, it makes it's own heat to keep going (and grow if it can). Very different than using physics to separate out the good stuff by evaporation (vaping).

Black material in your ABV is proof you got it hotter than you probably wanted to (at least at that point). But a little or a lot isn't proof of combustion. Ash would be since it didn't exist before the adventure.

Or so they taught me when the world was new.

OF
@OF hasn't been around in quite a while, I liked how he'd wander into a thread and drop a few gems to help raise our collective IQs just a bit. Hope he's doing well.

So I'll repeat the question that has not been answered: in your opinion, what is the reason pure convection vapes have smoother vapor than hybrids, and hybrids smoother than conduction?
This is subjective and everyone will give you a different answer. How do you define smooth? I guarantee you, your definition will be different from the next person. A person who smokes cigarettes will have a different opinion of what smooth is vs. a non-smoker etc.

For me, smoothness/harshness of the vapour is affected more by the condition of the material and grind consistency. I find well conditioned material, ground coarse tends to be much less harsh and causes me to cough much less.

I'm curious to find out if the smaller heater will give the same S&B vapour signature as their other devices? I always felt that at comparable temperatures, the Mighty, Crafty and Volcano all had very similar tasting vapour.

Last edited:

Herbie

Huge request: first person who has access to MiniVAP , please see if their Flexicone / basket modules work in Venty !!

Would allow direct use in water piece or J-hook

I’d be buying for vacation use!
Quick hits, powerful hits, cool hits, better flavor with more convection, ability to filter out the tiny particles with a hemp paper filter

Is there a firm delivery date for units in the US?

Mine is expected to arrive tomorrow.

redspawn

Soooo first session done an i love this beast… First of all: Its very very fast! Fully packed 16 Seconds to 180°c, +2 Sec for 195°C and another +2 Sec to 210°c… So the 20 Seconds they said, it reachs max temp. And if u dial manually up, every click up is instand there… No Delay… Love this!
Next Vapor: Even in “Setting“ 2 of 3 it draws easyer than my Mighty+, an when u dial in 3, there is nearly non restriction and the Vapor ist smooth and cold. Compared to Mighty slightly softer, but way less draw resistance!
Next Device: In the Hand very Comfy, and its getting less warm on surface, small plus.
Downsites: Design, Design, Design! No place to store the Tool. Fillig Aid dont fit anymore. I asekd S&B and they say it comes one for the Venty soon.

Overall im happy with the Upgrade and some things really suprised me. But if its worh for anybody at this pricetag? I dont think so. But for me its „vented“ up to be the next King xD

(and forgive my bad english, im from germany)

Last edited:

Sativasforpresident

Soooo first session done an i love this beast… First of all: Its very very fast! Fully packed 16 Seconds to 180°c, +2 Sec for 195°C and another +2 Sec to 210°c… So the 20 Seconds they said, it reachs max temp. And if u dial manually up, every click up is instand there… No Delay… Love this!
Next Vapor: Even in “Setting“ 2 of 3 it draws easyer than my Mighty+, an when u dial in 3, there is nearly non restriction and the Vapor ist smooth and cold. Compared to Mighty slightly softer, but way less draw resistance!
Next Device: In the Hand very Comfy, and its getting less warm on surface, small plus.
Downsites: Design, Design, Design! No place to store the Tool. Fillig Aid dont fit anymore. I asekd S&B and they say it comes one for the Venty soon.

Overall im happy with the Upgrade and some things really suprised me. But if its worh for anybody at this pricetag? I dont think so. But for me its „vented“ up to be the next King xD

(and Vorgabe my bad english, im from germany)
Vapour is cold... 😯😯😯 tell us more on that please, thank you for sharing all this, well appreciated. 🙏😤

kimura

I think the idea of a “medium mass” heater which gets up to a baseline temp so you get vapor as soon as you draw, but then also uses a flow meter to send additional wattage to the heater so it can keep up during the draw is interesting. It seems like a reasonable compromise to support a quick heat up time. Something like the miniVAP is not going to need the flow meter because the heater mass is large enough to sustain a whole draw, but it does take a few minutes to heat up.

Are there any other hybrid heater portables that heat up this fast? Im thinking that 130W is mostly for the initial heatup. I think this is a fairly novel approach. Based on this and the open airflow I have no problem with the size.

However I don’t care for the plastic cooling units, and I don’t particularly value hybrid heating, and I think vape batteries should be easily replaceable by the user

Having said all that I am always looking for a battery portable that approaches desktop performance, and especially a vape I can pass around and share with noobs. This might be a good one for that

kimura

Cooling unit is significantly taller than on crafty/mighty.. what’s the inside of that cooling unit look like?

Top Bottom