Vaporizing with Butane

Status
Not open for further replies.

jx80

I was wandering if using vaporizers with butane are safe? For instance with the vaorgenie or iinhale. A friend of mine uses a flamleless butane lighter/torch and it works but I wander if butane is being inhaled with any of these models? Was debating on getting a portable model like the ones above but was unsure if butane interferes with safe vaping and good taste? Any thoughts?

jx80,

Ven

Praying Mantis
No idea in the case of the VG, but the I-inhale only uses butane in the heating element part, and dissapates before it gets even close to the vapor path.

Ven,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
This has been discussed somewhere...probably in either the Vapor Genie thread or the Portables thread...give those a search.

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
I don't know about a flameless torch. 'Torch' implies flame AFAIK. :shrug:

If butane is exposed to flame, it immediately breaks down into its components of hydrogen and carbon. The hydrogen burns first-easily and completely. The carbon doesn't get completely burned with a standard lighter, producing some soot. A torch, which injects oxygen, burns at a higher temp and takes care of the carbon as well. Butane can only escape intact from a lighter if it avoids the flame, which is not gonna happen unless the flame goes out or it leaks from another part of the lighter.

jx80

That flameless lighter/torch was for soldering and had attachments. One made the torch for soldering, another tip made just a basic flame I think and then one would make it flameless with a hot blower. So people who just smoke with a lighter, they dont inhale butane either? I must of been misled by a phedor user of why he switched to it, he used it to combust but was trying to avoid butane.

jx80,

max

Out to lunch
So people who just smoke with a lighter, they dont inhale butane either?
Only if the flame goes out. Butane can't escape the presence of flame. What you get with a non-torch lighter is incompletely burned carbon (soot).

I must of been misled by a phedor user of why he switched to it, he used it to combust but was trying to avoid butane.
He's avoiding carbon (which is good). The butane myth will never die. :/

The only time I hold my breath in the presence of butane is when I fill a lighter or my I-inhale.

max,

jx80

What you get with a non-torch lighter is incompletely burned carbon (soot).
Is this a good thing? So I could use that flameless torch with no worries then except when filling it to avoid carbon correct? Thanks

jx80,

max

Out to lunch
Inhaling soot is not a good thing. That's why a torch lighter is much better to use-it burns all the carbon, leaving no soot. In fact, you can light a bic lighter and hold it under a ceramic mug, bowl, etc, and it will leave soot on it, then use a torch lighter to burn the soot off. Unfortunately, vapes like the Genie or Vaporstar work better with a regular lighter.

There's no sign of any leftover carbon/soot with the inhale, so I assume the butane gets completely processed. I suppose your flameless torch is the same, although if it produces a "basic flame" (like a flickering candle), it's not burning all the carbon/soot. As for filling any device that uses butane, that's when you need to be careful not to inhale-that'll be butane you're sucking in. The carbon's only there during burning-lighter, candle, match, campfire-any non-torch flame produces soot. It's just not hot enough to burn off all the carbon.

max,

jx80

I see. Tried it last night, it was a cool attempt but to risky to combust. I inhaled smoke for the first time in maybe a decade. I feel like I screwed up, it was horrible. I got to close with it too high and it turned to ash quick but before that it worked with a low setting. I though I could taste butane too, something tasted weird besides the smoke.

jx80,

max

Out to lunch
I though I could taste butane too, something tasted weird besides the smoke.
Carbon/soot has taste. I'm sure it's frequently mistaken for 'butane taste', thus the 'butane myth' continues. ;)

max,

Spiderman

oil baron
A second relevant factor when inhaling large amounts of butane is the quality of the tane itself. All tane manufacturers do include some mercaptans in their butane, giving it a noticeable smell and taste. With the very highest end butane (Vector, Lava, few others maybe) the amount of mercaptan is rather insignificant, leading to a very true taste, but in cheaper butanes (ronson, dodo, etc) there is a large amount of contaminant. This can be observed through the "mirror test," taking a mirror or glass plate and spraying about a dime sized drop of butane onto it, then allowing the butane to evaporate and observing the left over solids. Vector will leave a barely noticeable white mark, while Ronson will leave a dark black one. When smoking with, or inhaling for any reason at all, this less clean butane, the contaminants will be inhaled. These will have a taste.

Lighters bought pre-filled with butane will invariably be filled with the cheapest of the cheap. This does directly lead to many of these style gadgets having an "off" taste, right out of the box.

For an experiment, first purge the tank completely (just press on the filling valve with a pen or something, outside), then refill with high quality butane. In fact, even observing the tip of the device used to activate the filling valve while emptying the tank, may show you some telling signs of the quality of the original tane.

Spiderman,

jx80

Hey hennessy, believe me I did, I was flushing it and wiping that bowl seconds after. It was bernzomatic butane.

jx80,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom