Vaporizing with a hot air station and a pipe

babylonx

Hello, I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

Since I own many hot air stations for my job I have been using them to vaporize herbs for years. I have searched the forum and found no mentions about this method so I decided to share it with you. These devices are used to heat printed circuit boards in order to solder parts on them. The great thing with them is that they are powerful when it comes to heat, they blow the hot air from a nozzle (so there is also an air pump) and they also have great temperature and air flow control. And nowadays you can find them very cheap. Just try "8858 hot air" and you can find one for less than 30 bucks.

You will need:
1 x hot air station
1 x pipe (preferably metal)
2 x pipe screens
some PVC tape to cover the metal pipe because it gets HOT

Steps:
1. Assemble the pipe and add the first metal screen.

IMG-20221129-164146-01.jpg
IMG-20221129-164202-01.jpg

2. Load the pipe with your stuff and cover it with a second screen.
IMG-20221129-164242-01.jpg

3. Turn on the hot air station and turn the air flow as low as possible. Set the temperature to 160 C. Wait for it to stabilize.

IMG-20221129-164309-01-01.jpg
IMG-20221129-164313-01-01.jpg

4. Blow some hot air with the station handle in the pipe while you slowly but steadily suck the vapor. Move the handle around in the pipe to equally dissipate heat.
IMG-20221129-164635-01.jpg

5. Repeat one or two 10-15 second sessions at 160, 180, 200, 220 C temperatures. Remove top screen and stir the stuff between sessions for even cooking. Be very careful over 200 C, the pipe gets very hot especially near the bowl. Let it cool before handling after the session.

6. Enjoy

Hippie

Welcome aboard :wave:

You have to go back a few years for any talk about rework stations
I think the general consensus is that they're unlikely to be safe for our purposes as they weren't designed with inhalation or clean airpaths in mind.

There was the G-Spot vaporizer
There's some pics of it here (in case the thread links are all dead now)

babylonx

On the safety side I would only be concerned about the fact that you are using a power tool and you could easily set it at 450 C and point it, for example, at your hand. Nothing will protect you from this mishandling.

But I wouldn't mind the air paths. The cheap 8858 and the 858D+ have the air blower installed in the handle so you can dismantle it and clean it easily. On the heating side there is just a 220v or 110v heating element around a ceramic core and a thermocouple for temperature feedback. If the station is used you are pretty safe I guess, if not you can run it at max temperature and air flow for a few minutes to burn away any toxic remains from the factory. But if you consider the big picture it is an air blower made of PVC with a heating element with good temperature feedback and a blowing fan.

Capture.png

babylonx,
Reactions: cosimo

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
On the heating side there is just a 220v or 110v heating element around a ceramic core

It might be difficult to find out what that “element” material is made of, especially as most of these are made in China, and the material could change without notice.
Ceramics are used in VAPING devices, even the tiny distillate carts, but are scrutinized by users to hopefully not contain ceramic DUST. And of course, there are various grades of ceramics.
That’s NOT a concern in making a hot air blower, as the manufacturer does not intend it to be used for inhalation.
Just a few things to consider when repurposing tools built for non vaping applications. Not something I’d personally be interested in.

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Jeez, at least use a glass bong (ideally a recycler rig) to cool and filter!!! Seriously though. it is not worth the risk to your lungs. You can be sure the chinese factory will use the shittiest possible materials.

Quartz,Borosilicate glass, titanium and stainless steel in this order of preference are what you want in a good basic vaporizer- this is not the area to do cost cutting.

Haze Mister,
Reactions: babylonx

babylonx

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering, considering these concerns, is there a blowing heater that is considered safe for vaping that you could recommend?

babylonx,

Hippie

The Volcano :)
Sorry I couldn't resist

As you've got rework stations I'm guessing you've got a soldering iron or 2 too
There's a few vapes that use the soldering iron elements, you could make or buy a heater cover and make something with.
Ddave does a kit
Or you can buy a 7th floor or elev8 glass heater cover
(there are a few other options too btw)
Or just cut yourself a hole in a lab glass tube

And put a brand new clean element and balls in, and put that in a cup .... and call it a log vape :)

Elev8 only use a dimmer switch to control theirs (not using the thermister or thermocouple for temp control) but I've made a few with 900 series soldering iron controllers for TC (inspired by some of the builds here in the DiY section) ... which work really well.

Top Bottom