Vaporizing other herbs (no psychoactive)

gb902

Vaporog
Hi all, I was wondering if there are some plants that have vaporizing temperatures similar to MJ.
It doesn't need to be psychoactive, just sweet and safe (and possibly easy to find).
I am interested for many reasons:
I would to use my vape more often, but with MJ is not possible for me (money and other reasons).
I would to learn new techniques and refine them without waste expensive MJ.
In other words, a cheap herb with a good taste, that can produce clouds of vapor similar to MJ, so I can practice and use it more often as pastime.

I have found other similar threads, but they discuss mainly about psychedelic herbs, so I haven't found anything about it.

gb

gb902,

Mckdenton

looks like Chamomile, daminiana, green tea, raspberry leaf, thyme, and sage all have similar vaporization temps to Mj.

****Chamomile (Chamomilla recutita)****

Temperature: 6 / 190C (374F)
Main Properties: Anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, relaxant, carminative, bitter, nervine.

Chamomile grows wild in Europe and west Asia. Related species are found in North America and Africa. Its flowers help to ease indigestion, nervousness, depressions and headaches, being ideal for emotion related problems such as peptic ulcers, colitis, spastic colon and nervous indigestion. Chamomile's essential oil have anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and anti-microbial activity. It is an excellent herb for many digestive disorders and for nervous tension and irritability.

****Damiana (Turnera diffusa)****

Main Properties: Nerve tonic, antidepressant, urinary antiseptic.

Native from the Gulf of Mexico, Damiana has an ancient reputation as an aphrodisiac and is an excellent remedy for the nervous system acting as a stimulant and tonic in cases of mild depression. Damiana has a strongly aromatic, slightly bitter taste.

****Passion Flower (Passiflora incarnate)****

Temperature: 3 / 154C (309F)
Main Properties: Anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, hypotensive sedative, tranquilizing.

Passiflora is natural from the north America. The herb has valuable sedative and tranquilizing properties and has a long use as a medicine in Central and North American herbal traditions, being taken in Mexico for insomnia epilepsy and hysteria. The leaves are an ingredient in many pharmaceutical products to treat nervous disorders such as heart palpitations, anxiety, convulsions and sometimes high blood pressure. It is also used to prevent spasms from whooping cough, asthma and other diseases.

****Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis)****

Temperature:6 / 190 C (374 F)
Main Properties: Anti-irritant, soothing, anti-ache, aid in digestion and depression.

According to Chinese legend, tea was discovered accidentally by an emperor 4,000 years ago. Since then, traditional Chinese medicine has recommended green tea for headaches, body aches and pains, digestion, depression, immune enhancement, detoxification, as an energizer, and to prolong life.

****Peppermint (Mentha piperita)****

Temperature: 4 / 166C (331F)
Main Properties: Carminative, relieves muscle spasms, increases sweating, antiseptic.

Peppermint's origin is a mystery, but it has been in existence for a long time - dried leaves were found in Egyptian pyramids dating from around 1000 BC. It was highly valued by the Greeks and Romans, but only became popular in Western Europe in the 18th Century. Peppermint tea helps with indigestion and relaxes the muscles of the digestive tract. Peppermint's chief therapeutic value lies in its ability to relieve wind, flatulence, bloating and colic, though it has many other applications. Studies have shown that it relieves colon spasms and helps to cure ulcers. Peppermint also eases nervous headaches. Menthol, its main constituent, has antibacterial properties.

****Spearmint (Mentha Spicata)****

Temperature: 3 / 154 C (309 F)
Main Properties: Anti septic, anti inflammatory, fabulous for digestive concerns (upset stomach, nausea, morning sickness, flatulence, indigestion, colic, etc.). Deodorant, uplifting, revitalizing, cooling, and a wonderful pick me up, great stress reliever, for respiratory issues (bronchitis, asthma, sinusitis, etc.), colds, flus and fevers.

Widely used in the food and drink industry as well as in cosmetics, tooth care products, etc. However, Peppermint is more often used as a flavoring agent. Spearmint is a popular culinary herb and was a favorite at bath time with the ancient Greeks.

****Raspberry Leaf (Rubus idaeus)****

Temperature:6 / 190 C (374 F)
Main Properties: In pregnant women it has been found to help with nausea, ease of labor and delivery and post partum recovery. But also is used widely with colds, sore throats and upset stomach.

Raspberry bushes are native to North America but are cultivated in other countries including Canada. Although it is best known for its delicious red berries, raspberry leaves have a number of medical applications. They have been used in connection with the common cold, sore throats, diarrhea, pregnancy, and postpartum support.

****Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus Globulus)****

Temperature: 1 / 130C (266F)
Main Properties: Antiseptic, expectorant, stimulates local blood flow, anti-fungal.

Eucalyptus is native from Australia, where it comprises more than 75% of all trees. A traditional aboriginal remedy, eucalyptus is a powerful antiseptic used all over the world for relieving coughs and colds, s ore throats and other infections. The leaves cool the body and relive fever. Eucaliptol, one of the substances found in the essential oil, is one of the main constituents of the many existing commercial formulas of chest rubs for colds. The essential oil has also strong anti-biotic, anti-viral and anti-fungal action. Eucalyptus is a common ingredient in many over-the-counter cold remedies.

****Lavender (Lavandula officinalis)****

Temperature:1 / 130C (266F)
Main Properties: Carminative, relieves muscle spasms, antidepressant, antiseptic and antibacterial, stimulates blood flow.

Lavender is native to the Mediterranean region and is cultivated in France, Spain and elsewhere. It has been used for aromatic purposes by the Romans in washing water and baths. This herb has uses in culinary, cosmetics and medicine. It is effective to cure headaches, especially when related to stress, to clear depression associated with weakness and depression. Externally, lavender oil has been used as a stimulating liniment to help ease aches and pains of rheumatism.

****Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris)****
Main Properties: Antiseptic, tonic, relieves muscle spasm, expectorant.

Thyme occurs in the west Mediterranean to the southwest Italy. The herb was known to the Sumerians, used by the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans. Thyme was praised by the herbalist Nicholas Culpeper (1616-1654) as "a notable strengthener of the lungs". Its main medicinal application is in treating coughs and clearing congestion. Many current formulas for mouth washes and vapor rubs contain thymol, one of the constituents found in thyme. It also improves digestion, destroys intestinal parasites and is an excellent antiseptic and tonic.

****Sage (Salvia officinalis)****

Main Properties: Astringent, antiseptic, aromatic, carminative, estrogenic, reduces sweating, tonic.

Sage grows from north to central Spain to the west of Balkans and Asia Minor. It was used in Crete in 1600 AD to clear throat inflammation, one of its most popular uses today. Its leaves are a well-known cold germ and flu fighter. It has been found to be very effective to reduce many physical emissions like sweating and is an excellent remedy for sore throats, poor digestion and irregular periods. It is also taken as a gently stimulating tonic. It has a slightly warm, noticeably bitter and astringent taste.

****Lemon Balm (Melissa Officinalis)****

Temperature:2 / 142C (288F)
Main Properties: Blood circulation, Headache relief

Lemon balm relaxes the nervous system producing sleep. It is used for epilepsy, nerve disorders, insomnia, fainting, hysteria, migraine headaches, hypochondria and vertigo. It works simultaneously on the digestive system for intestinal maladies like stomach afflictions or flatulence. Lemon balm is also used for heat palpitations and has been found to increase blood circulation.

http://www.vaporizergiant.com/aromatherapy.html

Mckdenton,

Mckdenton

No problem gb. I too look forward to trying these out. please report back when you give some a try. :peace:

Mckdenton,

gb902

Vaporog
Of course, it may take a while (I don't have any of these plants), but I'll try for sure and report back as soon as possible;)

gb902,

the ob

all good in the hood.
does anyone know where to purchase these types of plants in a form ready for vaping? both online and/or what types of stores would carry them?

the ob,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
vapeworld.com carries some vabeable herbs including lemon balm. Lots of places carry dry herbs or you can get fresh and dry your own. I prefer organic stuff but... personal preference.

You can pick up herb plants at most nurseries. I grow lemon balm, mint and catnip for the kitties :)

Lo,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
In Canada, my healthfood store carries all of these herbs in dried form for extremely cheap... like 3 ounces of Damiana for $5. And the plants, while they don't give you a high like pot can, they definitely are relaxing. Damiana and Catnip make a great tea, helps induce lucid dreaming as well! This was one of my favourite things to drink before I began smoking pot regularly haha

mattybass,

gb902

Vaporog
vapeworld.com has nice stuff, but I think that those dried leaves are very inefficient in a vaporizer, they should be a little more fresh. As soon as possible I'll go to herbalist's shop and see what they have.

gb902,

the ob

all good in the hood.
I guess my question is what form these herbs have to be in for vaping. The green tea is obvious but not with the others. is it just a dried out form of the plants? do you have to get something that was specifically made for smoking/vaping?

is what I am asking making sense?

the ob,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
ob,

I get what you are asking. You're wondering what other forms are available for either smoking or whatever? Well, usually these herbs are dried and ground up to the consistency of ground up bud... loose, crumbly, dry.. these are solid in bags.

You can usually find extracts of the active or inactive ingredients (at least in our healtfood stores) and those can be taken orally or technically smoked, I guess... Not sure on that one.

There is sometimes a capsule form with dried up powder inside, usually an extract of some kind... Like 500mg of Echinacea for example. Some people grind up those pills and smoke that, again it is something I've never tried. I can see how easily it could be done though.

Now to answer your question, I tried the Damiana in it's dried, loose form in my MFLB... I definitely recognized the familiar aroma and taste from the tea and i exhaled a slight vapor. I would say at that point I was vaporizing! A trench of that after smoking a trench of MJ an hour earlier really relaxed me, felt great! The damiana had the same calming effect the tea does for me.

mattybass,

redshift

Places that sell loose-leaf tea usually sell loose whole chamomile, which smells amazing and makes great "tea" - bags don't even compare. I usually order from adagio teas, they also carry other herbs used for herbal tea, so... the mint variants, at least.

I have the better part of a tin of chamomile, now that I think about it... have to see what happens at 190c.

EDIT: tried it. Smells nice. That's...about it. I'd rather use it for tea, personally.

redshift,
Top Bottom