Vaporizer for a joint smoker?

m0nkeyh3rb

Hey all, been a casual plant person for a number of years, but now that I'm getting older I'm looking to switch to vaping. I've tried pen cartridges before but I like working with the plant itself and there's something I miss about the smoking process. I've found the world of dry herb vapes which seems perfect, but I got overwhelmed by the options and was hoping you all could help me out.

As I said I'm a fairly casual user, maybe once or twice a week and I'm not looking to get blasted, so things like cloud size or whatever don't really matter to me. I'd prefer a low profile device, something that doesn't make me look like a futuristic bounty hunter or that I'm smoking meth. I'd also prefer something with as few moving parts, and definitely no screens (I'd prefer no computer chips at all).

Of the devices I've looked at, I think the Dynavap seems the most appealing, though I'd prefer to avoid butane so I'd probably need to get one of those induction thingies. The other interesting thing I saw were the box mods -- I used an MFLB back in the day and honestly that's the kind of experience I'm looking for. Something that's relatively easy to set up, but requires a little bit of manual work to manage. That's what I like about smoking joints, the grinding, the rolling, the lighting, the ashing... My only concern about the box mods is they say they're not for beginners, and there might be safety concerns? As I said I'd prefer to avoid computer chips, but I like the idea of having some feedback on temperature (I really like the idea of the Dynavap "click").

So are either of those good options for me? Is there anything I'm missing? What kind of vape would give me the closest experience to smoking a joint (minus the smoke)?

jbm

It may be longer than you want to wait, and I stopped smoking joints a looong time ago, but people who do have been saying that Madheaters’ forthcoming Tempest provides a very joint like experience. Release date is end of March at the moment I believe. I have a prerelease model and it’s terrific. It will provide both audible (clicks) and visual indicators for reaching temp.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Several threads on this already, but it's possible the world has changed since the last one.

I know that Phattpiggie designed the Thermal Accumulator and Tempest in order to emulate the experience of puffing on a joint over a long session.

Since I'm in the US, we typically don't mix in tobacco so smoking a joint isn't a slow meditative experience. But I know a lot of folks in Europe miss that with the more powerful vapes.

As far as the ritual goes, my favorite is probably the vapman. It forces you to pay attention and take your time to enjoy it. Some of the old style logs can also do this for me.

Loa

I quit smoking joints 2 months ago. I went with the Dani by BFG which is a similar style device to a Dynavap. I was quite torn between it and a Dynavap. I liked Dynavap's 2023 M+ machining, but the Dani seems to be more massive, so it can hold the heat longer and can hold more herb. At first, I mostly used the Dani through a dry bong, so that I could observe the thick vapor, but these days I prefer sitting back and taking puffs off of it like a joint.
Anyways, it's hard to go wrong with with a Dynavap style device because it will last forever and is very portable, discreet, durable, compact and most importantly, offers a customizable experience. As Grass Yes mentioned, one of the portable ball vapes (TA, the Tempest or the Stunner) seem to be the best Dynavap-style device for this, as they can hold the heat the longest and hold the most heat without burning your weed.

I am also interested in 510 Mod vapes and I got my eye on a Glow RVC 18 by Dreamwood, but it's more of a bong like experience with direct to lung draws.
6 years ago I have tried a dry herb vaporizer for a 510 Mod called "Chic", which uses a ceramic heated chamber, from Aliexpress, and it did offer a joint-like experience for me, as it is a mouth to lung restricted vape with quite hot vapor. Sadly the vapor was subpar and due to long heat up time of the ceramic chamber it was also akin to smoking tobacco in a pipe and I did use that device to vape tobacco.
The Chic device that I mentioned (do not recommend):
51VUONSFYRL._AC_SX679_.jpg

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Hey all, been a casual plant person for a number of years, but now that I'm getting older I'm looking to switch to vaping. I've tried pen cartridges before but I like working with the plant itself and there's something I miss about the smoking process. I've found the world of dry herb vapes which seems perfect, but I got overwhelmed by the options and was hoping you all could help me out.

As I said I'm a fairly casual user, maybe once or twice a week and I'm not looking to get blasted, so things like cloud size or whatever don't really matter to me. I'd prefer a low profile device, something that doesn't make me look like a futuristic bounty hunter or that I'm smoking meth. I'd also prefer something with as few moving parts, and definitely no screens (I'd prefer no computer chips at all).

Of the devices I've looked at, I think the Dynavap seems the most appealing, though I'd prefer to avoid butane so I'd probably need to get one of those induction thingies. The other interesting thing I saw were the box mods -- I used an MFLB back in the day and honestly that's the kind of experience I'm looking for. Something that's relatively easy to set up, but requires a little bit of manual work to manage. That's what I like about smoking joints, the grinding, the rolling, the lighting, the ashing... My only concern about the box mods is they say they're not for beginners, and there might be safety concerns? As I said I'd prefer to avoid computer chips, but I like the idea of having some feedback on temperature (I really like the idea of the Dynavap "click").

So are either of those good options for me? Is there anything I'm missing? What kind of vape would give me the closest experience to smoking a joint (minus the smoke)?

Welcome to the forum, @m0nkeyh3rb. You're already getting some great advice here. It does sound like you'd like a dynavap, and even if you go in a different direction it's always good to have a DV in your arsenal. You can give it a try on the cheap with an entry model like the "B" and go from there. Most parts are interchangable anyway.

Vaping becomes a hobby for a lot if us and for good reason, you worry about what you should get at first, but 2 years later you got a closet full of shit anyway. :cool: Just jump in.

For induction heaters, there are a bunch of great new vapes coming out like the Tempest and other phattpiggie stuff. For now, a IH that can fit all those various sized tips (because the diameters are different) is the Wand. It's probably the most versatile IH rn. Another great series of IH's are sold by @Pipes, which are tried and true in function and customer service, but they are mostly limited to the dynavap size tip.

Of course, if you wanted to just buy one of the best portables available and just call it good on devices, my recommendation is the Tinymight 2. It doesn't check all your boxes, but it can be an end game in dry vapes so you don't have to keep searching. :lol:
You realize I'm gonna get some shit for saying that and there are some vapes that compete, but very few can argue against the TM2 as a superior vape. It's been the only flower vape I've reached for in well over a year.

Read a bit on conduction vs convection vapes and see what you think you might prefer. If conduction is more up your alley, then maybe the dynavap.

I think 510 stuff is complicated.

Last edited:

Jojofernz

As someone already said, mad heaters tempest. It’s the only vape I’ve tried that truly has felt like puffing on a joint.

My spouse even remarked exactly that, the first week I had it and we were hitting it, “it’s like we are passing joints again”.

Full release is end of march

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
That's what I like about smoking joints, the grinding, the rolling, the lighting, the ashing...
Another vote for the MAD heaters Tempest! It's as close to a joint experience without combusting as you'll get!

Add a Reload (MADheaters), an OMD grinder (click) and a Wand (or a torch, or both) to your list and you got yourself a killer setup and a very cool, clean and fun ritual in the making! ;)

Last edited:

darkstar72

Dynavap with butane just means you use the butane lighter to heat the metal and then inhale (no butane in the air path). All advice above is sound. Consider a j-hook or small water piece for cooling the hot air. I’m sensitive to hot dry air on the throat and you might be as well. Check out the j-hook thread. Wishing I had the money for a TM2. Lots of people swear it’s a top shelf portable.

m0nkeyh3rb

It may be longer than you want to wait, and I stopped smoking joints a looong time ago, but people who do have been saying that Madheaters’ forthcoming Tempest provides a very joint like experience. Release date is end of March at the moment I believe. I have a prerelease model and it’s terrific. It will provide both audible (clicks) and visual indicators for reaching temp.
Thanks! From the replies it seems like this is an excellent suggestion. And I don't mind waiting, I still have plenty of rolling papers to get through 😂

Is there a way to preorder it or do I just need to wait for it to come into stock?

Several threads on this already, but it's possible the world has changed since the last one.

I know that Phattpiggie designed the Thermal Accumulator and Tempest in order to emulate the experience of puffing on a joint over a long session.

Since I'm in the US, we typically don't mix in tobacco so smoking a joint isn't a slow meditative experience. But I know a lot of folks in Europe miss that with the more powerful vapes.

As far as the ritual goes, my favorite is probably the vapman. It forces you to pay attention and take your time to enjoy it. Some of the old style logs can also do this for me.
Thanks so much for pulling these resources together. I think part of my issue is that so much of the discussion centers around getting absolutely ripped, which is not really my goal. It's funny you mention spliffs, because that's mostly what I'm smoking these days, so I think that slow meditative experience is exactly what I'm going for.

as they can hold the heat the longest and hold the most heat without burning your weed.
Holding heat is actually very interesting to me. I think that's one of the things I like about joints -- you can light them and let them chill. It seems like a lot of vapes are either about vaping an entire bowl at once, or heating up and cooling down repeatedly.

For induction heaters, there are a bunch of great new vapes coming out like the Tempest and other phattpiggie stuff. For now, a IH that can fit all those various sized tips (because the diameters are different) is the Wand. It's probably the most versatile IH rn.
Yeah I'm starting to think IH is the way to go for me. It seems the closest thing to using a lighter, and lets you heat up quickly. Though that TM2 definitely looks like it fits the bill too...

As someone already said, mad heaters tempest. It’s the only vape I’ve tried that truly has felt like puffing on a joint.

My spouse even remarked exactly that, the first week I had it and we were hitting it, “it’s like we are passing joints again”.

Full release is end of march
This might be what sold me on the Tempest. What you describe is exactly what I'm looking for -- something that my wife or friends could use without needing a tutorial 😂

m0nkeyh3rb

Possibly a stupid stoner thought: are there any vapes with a movable heating element? My thought is the way a joint burns down, could you have a heating element that moves down the herb to vape it all evenly?

m0nkeyh3rb,

Pizzico

Possibly a stupid stoner thought: are there any vapes with a movable heating element? My thought is the way a joint burns down, could you have a heating element that moves down the herb to vape it all evenly?
Actually in convection devices, the air goes all the way through the furnace, so through the weed. There is no need to "move " it

Last edited:
Top Bottom