Vapobowl and lung challenges help?

Boondocks

Hi there,

I'm new here, but I've followed the forums for a while. I'm not asking for medical advice, I'm asking more to understand the scientific/chemical makeup of what I might be doing.

Some background: I've been combusting out of a bong for over a decade. Multiple times a day, every day. I decided last year that I wanted to be healthier with my habits. I even got a CT scan of my lungs to baseline my self and see if there was any damage from the smoke over the years (there wasn't). I'm relatively young (in my 30's) and so I decided to switch to dry herb vaporizing through my bong. I love using a bong and flower, and wanted to find a method that allowed me to do that with vaporizing. I came across the Vapobowl bowl piece for my bong, which I've been using for about a year (glass version with metal top). Now the way I use it is holding a butane torch to the metal and letting it heat up like an oven. Rather than putting the flame through the hole on the top (since I always seem to burn it this way). This method has been fine for a while, but over the last few months I've noticed that sometimes immediately after I use the Vapobowl that I wheeze and have some shortness of breath for a little.

My question: If the butane torch heating/burning the metal (which should be stainless steel for Vapobowl right?) is causing any metal to be aerosolized and I'm inhaling it? Or is the metal screen in the bowl causing any metal to be aerosolized? Could this be causing my lung challenges? This doesn't seem to happen when I use my vaporizer pens (with liquid or dry herb), just out of the bong method. And the wheezing/breathe challenges go away within a few minutes.

I can't seem to attach pic of my bong here, but I use multiple ash catchers and percolators just to help filter (although for vaporizing, it's really just aesthetic and what I'm used to and like) as well as activated carbon.

Please let me know any thoughts. I will be talking to my doctor when I see him in a month or so, but at least wanted to come prepared. And I can't seem to find this information anywhere online, so figure asking here was best. Thanks for the help!

Boondocks,
  • Wow
Reactions: cosimo

GoldenBud

you may feel better with all glass vapes like @AssistedLiving recommended, BUT, our body is not supposed to be fulfilled with cannabis vapor anyway. so it's the cannabis vapor mainly, not the vapes usage (our lungs are built to carry air only, not cannabis vapor)
that being said, cannabis vapor is much healthier than smoke.

Boondocks

The terpicle seems interesting. I've never seen something like that but yes feel much better about using all glass if possible. So that device can be attached to a bong and still work with flower? Hmm, appreciate the tip on that.

And you're right Golden Bud, definitely makes sense that obviously our body isn't supposed to be filled with vapor. Are you suggesting that it's the vapor itself causing the wheezing rather than the metal? I just remember from smoking so much, that I never really wheezed, but I definitely coughed and had ton more phlegm. Vapor has definitely reduced the cough and hacking of phlegm from smoking (especially when sleeping). I just was concerned about the makeup of the metal and if I am somehow inhaling toxic fumes from putting a butane torch to metal at a high temperature (not sure if there is nickel or other metals in either the Vapobowl or the screen). Appreciate the tips though!

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Since the vapo bowl is a direct inhale vape, it could be the quality of your butane as well.

I do like the idea of trying another vape for you. And the TRWW glass vapes are very inexpensive for what they deliver.

Have fun!

GoldenBud

And you're right Golden Bud, definitely makes sense that obviously our body isn't supposed to be filled with vapor. Are you suggesting that it's the vapor itself causing the wheezing rather than the metal? I just remember from smoking so much, that I never really wheezed, but I definitely coughed and had ton more phlegm. Vapor has definitely reduced the cough and hacking of phlegm from smoking (especially when sleeping). I just was concerned about the makeup of the metal and if I am somehow inhaling toxic fumes from putting a butane torch to metal at a high temperature (not sure if there is nickel or other metals in either the Vapobowl or the screen). Appreciate the tips though!
I stopped vaporizing weed 87 days ago. I have no longer mucus/phlegms/allergies, I feel much better in my air pathways, yes, cannabis vapor isn't healthy for you. it doesn't matter too much if it's metal or glass, it's the weed mostly. that being said, vaporizing is much healthier than smoking.
you can try getting glass vapes, but I doubt it will matter... metal boiling point is still far from weed vaporizing point...

P.S.
i stopped vaporizing mainly because of money issues, but i hated the mucus a lot of monthes.
maybe dabs will cause less mucus/allergies because dabs contain less plant material than dry herb

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Boondocks

I had a look at the Vapobowl but could not find what the top was made of... Since you are not using it as it is supposed to be used, you may be hurting yourself...
The top is not meant to be heated red hot and I would stop doing this immediately!

I stopped using my butane vapes because of similar issues but for me it was more the butane that made me not feel great.
I still think these torches so not burn 100% of the fuel and we breathe in some of the not so healthy stuff.

I agree with some others to look into a different vape that is meant to be heated like you are.

If you are strictly a home based user maybe look into a desktop vape that can deliver the powerful hits you are looking for?
So many options at all price ranges.

A desktop will also provide you with a consistent hit day after day with ease!

Top Bottom