Vapes on a plane?

headdoctor

While I'm sure that this has been covered repeatedly, I can't find the answer ... and I'm hoping you all will help me out.

I'm going to be flying from Vermont to Portland, OR, and I'd like to take my Mighty (no flower, etc).

1) My main question is about the battery. I've read that you can take a vape on a plane but it needs to be carry-on, ie in the cabin, not in checked baggage. Apparently it's a lithium battery thing. Is this true?

2) Since I'm posting: I'll clean it out but should I be concerned about any lingering resin/gunk? I'm not, but should I be?

Thanks! And apologies if this has been asked and answered a million times.

headdoctor,

fucreg123

To 2): I fly frequently with some vape in my carry on and just do a regular iso bath and water wash. I've never had any issues. Technically I guess they could try and get you on some stupid charge if it tests positive for THC, but they'd have to scrape it and it would be in the mg area anyway so I dont think thats quite realistic.

Varden

I have travelled nationally and internationally with different vapes, passing even several times through Islamic countries, and never had any problem. Only the vape obviously, never with herb or any material, but never had any issue.

onesixty2

Flying in the states I’ve been bringing my vape battery and carts without any questions for years now. I’ve even been putting my TM2 in and it passes TSA every time.

The reality is TSA doesn’t care about marijuana, and big tobacco has lobbied hard enough that e-cigs / “battery powered smoking devices” are always going to be legal to carry-on. The airport dogs aren’t even trained to find weed on you anymore.

Re: battery being inserted, if you can remove it do that and store it in its own container. If it’s built-in, don’t worry about it. Whether this is a hard-rule I can’t say, but again you should have no issue.

I’ve even flown with ground flower without issue but that’s a whole other discussion of risk.

florduh

I'm going to be flying from Vermont to Portland, OR, and I'd like to take my Mighty (no flower, etc).

You're flying between two hippy States. There will be no issues whatsoever.

To game this out... what's the absolute worst case scenario? You run into an absolute nightmare of a TSA Agent. The worst they can do is call local law enforcement. But... you wouldn't be breaking any local laws at either location. So the local cops can't do shit.

headdoctor

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info and reassurance. Two hippy states is right, and there's no need for me to travel with any "product." I'm mostly curious about how to pack the vape, and I guess it'll be with my carry-on. Done.

florduh

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the info and reassurance. Two hippy states is right, and there's no need for me to travel with any "product." I'm mostly curious about how to pack the vape, and I guess it'll be with my carry-on. Done.

Yeah, you were right about needing to take it in your carry on because of the built in battery. You'll be good.

I've had TSA agents go through plastic bags of half filled THC oil cartridges. We're talking felony amounts of oil in the hillbilly States. The TSA Agents never give a shit.

Threefingerlid

While I'm sure that this has been covered repeatedly, I can't find the answer ... and I'm hoping you all will help me out.

1) My main question is about the battery. I've read that you can take a vape on a plane but it needs to be carry-on, ie in the cabin, not in checked baggage. Apparently it's a lithium battery thing. Is this true?

2) Since I'm posting: I'll clean it out but should I be concerned about any lingering resin/gunk? I'm not, but should I be?

Thanks! And apologies if this has been asked and answered a million times.
I had a lithium battery removed from my Air during air travel. Just left a note and took my expensive battery. So in the future I will carry the battery in carry on ( in the tiny box or bag it came in) Don’t leave butane lighters in your luggage either or they can be removed as well. I admit I don’t know if it was unlucky screening or what that made my bag get checked. And sorry, as I was flying within Canada I took my grungy stems and some flower in my luggage without fear!

Threefingerlid,
Top Bottom