Vape pens vs vaping flowers: potential lung damage

If I want minimize lung damage does it matter which path I take?

• Flowers into a bag (Extreme Q)

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • A vape pen through a water bong (to cool it down)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It doesn't matter

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

flyingturtle

Being that marijuana is illegal on the federal level and in many states, there's no data that I'm aware of regarding the outcome of those who vape vs those who don't in regards to recovering from COVID-19 once it gets into the lungs.

Considering that some early studies have shown that smoking and even air pollution is having a negative influence on recovery, it seems likely that vaping, while probably no where near as bad as actual combustion, it seems unlikely that there is no negative consequences to vaping.

So because of that and me being a very paranoid person I thought I would try to not vape and just use tinctures. I've tried that and found it frustrating since the time frame (onset and how long it lasts) are much more stretched out. I've decided that I don't want to quit cold turkey, but that for my occasional weekday imbibing I'm going to return to vaping.

Which leads me to two options as mentioned in the subject line. If I want minimize lung damage does it matter which path I take? Basically its either flowers into a bag (Extreme Q) or a pen through a water bong (to cool it down).

Thoughts?

Edit: I realized perhaps I should mention that the pen oil is prefilled disposable carts from licensed CA stores.

Last edited:
flyingturtle,

GoldenBud

The problem with the Coronavirus is like... how the body is healing itself, like, how the body can proccess the "hypercytokinemia" reaction better.

vaping is occuring without releasing any poisons to the lungs, no carbon monoxide! BUT we have to remember that the lungs are built for non-organic material - Air. nevertheless I don't think vaping herb will poses any risk, but still unknown.
Vaping dry herbs is like 90% safer than Smoking.
I don't think vaping will make the body weaker. smoking does.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/why-some-covid-19-cases-are-worse-than-others-67160

Last edited:

GoldenBud

For what its worth its above the board California prefilled carts from legit stores.
He's got a point. you never know when some X company will go into some curroption and will add some Vitamin E product into the vaping oil. get herb, it's safe, and you know how to define what's in it without having a lab!
Actually now after I was writing it... damn, he's 100% right!

Vaporware

I don’t have data to back it up, but I prefer flower and I find oil cartridges are more likely to irritate my throat and maybe even lungs. They seem to be at their worst when they are set to a higher voltage/heat setting if the battery is adjustable.

High temp flower can be more irritating than low/moderate temp flower too, but it never seems as bad to me. In fact at those temps I can use more than I need with no noticeable irritation.

If I just use a little though, any of it is pretty tolerable.

C No Ego

Just do it. The bag will be cleanest since you will have removed the heat which is a damage source.
This = vaping with short air paths could create some heat in throat ... this is equated to firemen in burning buildings breathing hot air ETC... a bubbler or water piece reduces those effects by a long shot ... vape pens are still in question , may be better to dab vape with an known oil you make your self ETC ...

how to tell if the vape cart has a lot of filler = tip it sideways, real oil will be slow runny and not move much... the added filler stuff will just move directly to other side of tube no prob . there needs to be some type of filler in there as THC oil alone would not vape well in those pens.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
I don’t have data to back it up, but I prefer flower and I find oil cartridges are more likely to irritate my throat and maybe even lungs. They seem to be at their worst when they are set to a higher voltage/heat setting if the battery is adjustable.

High temp flower can be more irritating than low/moderate temp flower too, but it never seems as bad to me. In fact at those temps I can use more than I need with no noticeable irritation.

If I just use a little though, any of it is pretty tolerable.
Funny, I'm the opposite. I find legal tested oil carts are the least irritating form of inhaled cannabis. Unfortunately the oil carts are about twice as expensive per milligram THC compared to wax or flower. And all the other concentrates, especially wax, are similarly gentle, especially at lower temps. I've been wondering if the clorophyll that's in flower but not in most concentrates is the primary irritant of my lungs and throat.

Last edited:

Vaporware

Funny, I'm the opposite. I find legal tested oil carts are the least irritating form of inhaled cannabis. Unfortunately the oil carts are about twice as expensive per milligram THC compared to wax or flower. And all the other concentrates, especially wax, are similarly gentle, especially at lower temps. I've been wondering if the clorophyll that's in flower but most concentrates is the primary irritant of my lungs and throat.

It is a bit frustrating that we have such different experiences...I’ve heard plenty of people say flower is worse for them, and the reasons make a lot of sense, but I forgot to mention that because it’s just not my experience except with unadulterated concentrates hit with convection or low-temp conduction.

In those cases it probably is easier on my throat and lungs than flower, but neither of them causes any real irritation in the amounts I normally use. Since I’m usually trying to use a small amount it’s also much easier to accidentally overdo it, so I’m back to flower 95% of the time and I mostly think of the very unpleasant high temp cartridge/dab hits.

TommyDee

Vaporitor
This = vaping with short air paths could create some heat in throat ... this is equated to firemen in burning buildings breathing hot air ETC... a bubbler or water piece reduces those effects by a long shot ... vape pens are still in question , may be better to dab vape with an known oil you make your self ETC ...

how to tell if the vape cart has a lot of filler = tip it sideways, real oil will be slow runny and not move much... the added filler stuff will just move directly to other side of tube no prob . there needs to be some type of filler in there as THC oil alone would not vape well in those pens.
Agreed. There is very little difference at that point. The bag will be slightly more homogenized temperatures due to settling time. Vape bubbles in water will be warm in the center and cooler/condensing at the air bubble boundary. The coolest vape will remain in the bubbler of course.

TommyDee,
Reactions: C No Ego

C No Ego

Agreed. There is very little difference at that point. The bag will be slightly more homogenized temperatures due to settling time. Vape bubbles in water will be warm in the center and cooler/condensing at the air bubble boundary. The coolest vape will remain in the bubbler of course.
personally I like to go native up front with a short air path vape for the flavor ... after flavor wears off turn up heat and put on bubbler to finish it off.... the bag vape tastes a little too toasty for me as the initial flavor and the later toast load the bag @ the same time ...

C No Ego,
Top Bottom