Vape Minyan

OyVape

Yeah, in Los Angeles, I have to say I never in my life thought of the Holocaust as something I could imagine happening ever again, now it has become easy to see how easily it happened in Europe before...
In my experience a few decades ago,,LA was the most Jewish city on thecWest Coast

OyVape

Whoahhh this IS shocking

an uncle of mine and his wife left NY vaudeville and were apparently very successful in early Hollywood

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Whoahhh this IS shocking

an uncle of mine and his wife left NY vaudeville and were apparently very successful in early Hollywood

Yeah so a lot of Jewish people founded the entertainment industry because it was one of the few places where they were able to actually work without persecution, so now there is a flip of despising us for it as if we control all of media and run the world...

OyVape

@Shit Snacks , you must be aware that Takoma Wellness was founded by a rabbi and his wife. I remember reading about it in the Washington Post, all the shit they went through to get up and running for MD medical

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Shit Snacks , you must be aware that Takoma Wellness was founded by a rabbi and his wife. I remember reading about it in the Washington Post, all the shit they went through to get up and running for MD medical

Omg somehow I did not know that at all!!

Shit Snacks,

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

all the more so because Goyisha people dont really seem to care. Sometimes I feel like Jews only matter to people as a pawn in whatever their political machinations are; on the left wing they denounce right wing antisemitism and dont care about the deeply antisemitic ideas that are popular in liberal circles, on the right they scream "Defend Israel" while happily including Nazi's and White Supremacists in their ranks
It's very problematic. I think the right only acts like it cares about Israel for indeed political/economical reasons like anti Muslim sentiment and military industrial complex. The hate for the Jewish people on the right is pretty overt as opposed to leftist antisemitism where it is quasi covert. Spread from the center left with casual antisemitism all the way to the far left, obsessed with anti Zionism (especially from the west).

I used to think of myself as leftist, but I had to distance myself from that because of its anti Zionist flavor of antisemitism. I hate how a historically and currently persecuted people's country on the land of their heritage gets scrutinized and has its legitimacy questioned and denied, while totally disregarding the ways of their own countries. It's pure hypocrisy and blind antisemitism. Any attempt at pointing this out, questioning this focus on the nation state of a suppressed people, gets met with anti Zionist rhetoric. I'm from a European country that still holds claim over colonies where enslaved people used to get dumped by basically a state ran company. Yet the criticism goes to a people finally being able to live in a place that's their home, where they've been prosecuted for centuries before, and still have to fight for their safety. You don't even need to be a Zionist to see how messed up that is.

It's a scary and dangerous collaboration of the left and the right. On the one hand there's this old school antisemite conspiracy demagoguery spread by the right, and then there's the left trying to take away the legitimacy of the protection of the homeland. I'm not Jewish myself, please forgive the intrusion. In my family there's Jews that have fell victim to pogroms in czarist Russia and later to the holocaust. And it's appalling to see how antisemitism has been kept alive after this horror and not even 80 yrs have passed and it's become acceptable by the masses once again.

BT Bean

Bredda Gravalicious
It's very problematic. I think the right only acts like it cares about Israel for indeed political/economical reasons like anti Muslim sentiment and military industrial complex. The hate for the Jewish people on the right is pretty overt as opposed to leftist antisemitism where it is quasi covert. Spread from the center left with casual antisemitism all the way to the far left, obsessed with anti Zionism (especially from the west).

I used to think of myself as leftist, but I had to distance myself from that because of its anti Zionist flavor of antisemitism. I hate how a historically and currently persecuted people's country on the land of their heritage gets scrutinized and has its legitimacy questioned and denied, while totally disregarding the ways of their own countries. It's pure hypocrisy and blind antisemitism. Any attempt at pointing this out, questioning this focus on the nation state of a suppressed people, gets met with anti Zionist rhetoric. I'm from a European country that still holds claim over colonies where enslaved people used to get dumped by basically a state ran company. Yet the criticism goes to a people finally being able to live in a place that's their home, where they've been prosecuted for centuries before, and still have to fight for their safety. You don't even need to be a Zionist to see how messed up that is.

It's a scary and dangerous collaboration of the left and the right. On the one hand there's this old school antisemite conspiracy demagoguery spread by the right, and then there's the left trying to take away the legitimacy of the protection of the homeland. I'm not Jewish myself, please forgive the intrusion. In my family there's Jews that have fell victim to pogroms in czarist Russia and later to the holocaust. And it's appalling to see how antisemitism has been kept alive after this horror and not even 80 yrs have passed and it's become acceptable by the masses once again.
Extremely well put.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
When a politician (or anyone for that matter) makes a heartfelt and harsh anti-Semitic statement (Inclusive of Israel) and then walks it back because of the fallout ..... I have a hard time believing the apology and/or invoking forgiveness. I tend to land more on "when someone shows you who they are believe them the first time". And as @Abele Rizieri Ferrari mentioned.....I don't care what side of the aisle the person is on.

Roffa

The territory of the current state of Israel is not my "ancestral homeland". That is the Dutch province of Groningen, from which many of my pre-war relatives were deported to extermination camps. I think it's outrageous that I, a Jew from Rotterdam, can be an Israeli citizen in a week or 2 if I so choose, while someone from east jerusalem who goes on vacation for 2 weeks loses their dwelling permit and loses their home. I'm a jewish anti-zionist, as were and are many of my relatives.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

The territory of the current state of Israel is not my "ancestral homeland". That is the Dutch province of Groningen, from which many of my pre-war relatives were deported to extermination camps. I think it's outrageous that I, a Jew from Rotterdam, can be an Israeli citizen in a week or 2 if I so choose, while someone from east jerusalem who goes on vacation for 2 weeks loses their dwelling permit and loses their home. I'm a jewish anti-zionist, as were and are many of my relatives.
I think there's a difference between criticism of Jews on Israel and the disproportionate focus on Israel by non Jewish westerners. I also feel like it's not my place as a non Jewish westerner to debate on this with someone who has a more involved relation with the matter. I had doubts on whether to post that previous comment of mine, especially in a space created for Jewish people, and in hindsight it probably would've been better had I remained silent. I apologize for butting in.

His_Highness

I think there's a difference between criticism of Jews on Israel and the disproportionate focus on Israel by non Jewish westerners. I also feel like it's not my place as a non Jewish westerner to debate on this with someone who has a more involved relation with the matter. I had doubts on whether to post that previous comment of mine, especially in a space created for Jewish people, and in hindsight it probably would've been better had I remained silent. I apologize for butting in.
IMO ... No need to apologize. I am a Jew and agree with just about all the sentiments in your post. I have family who lean right, left and center and we don't always agree either. My lineage/great grandparents came from Poland and Germany.

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
Oh wow, all my years on FC and I just found this thread now!

I consider myself a non-emanationist Kabbalist, which is such a tiny minority of a tiny minority that I would get called a heretic even by other Kabbalists. My absolute favorite food in the world is a Jewish deli corned beef sandwich, the kind that are piled so high you wonder if they used the whole cow. Sadly I’ve never been high when having one.

I don’t have a ton of Jewish specific foods in the house all the time, but around Purim I’ll make hamantaschen and around Pesach I’ll make charosets and around Hanukkah I’ll make latkes and sufganiyot. Most of my family is vegetarian so I can’t make homemade chicken noodle soup/matzoh ball soup like I used to.

I don’t go to synagogue currently and when I do it’s more for a sense of community as I don’t think most of the modern movements in Judaism offer me much in the way of spiritual succor. My path has always been and continues to be more solitary. But sometimes it’s nice to sit among other Jews in a Jewish space and have that shared experience.

His_Highness

@Monk Debate - your post mentioning synagogue awakened some fond memories of going to synagogue with three generations of family on the high holy days. I still marvel at how the women sat together in the back of the congregation while the men sat in the front.

My favorite memory is the smell when walking into the family's favorite Jewish deli.

GoldenBud

Happy pesach! Next year in Jerusalem!
nah man, nah. if you're in USA it's probably better there. Israel is very poor country. the country owes a lot of money for the people who retired from army etc'. except for "High Tech" people, it's not a good country to live in. the "gap" between the incomes and outcomes for many people is not good at all. at least 60% of the people living with a minus in their bank account

weed is illegal etc'

Monk Debate

The monks do be debatin’
nah man, nah. if you're in USA it's probably better there. Israel is very poor country. the country owes a lot of money for the people who retired from army etc'. except for "High Tech" people, it's not a good country to live in. the "gap" between the incomes and outcomes for many people is not good at all. at least 60% of the people living with a minus in their bank account

weed is illegal etc'
That’s the thing we say at the end of a Seder. I don’t actually want to live in Israel. I also don’t really want to live in the US but that’s another story.

Top Bottom