Valentine's Day Sucks

arf777

No longer dogless
My 14th consecutive Valentine's Day alone.

Anybody else hate this day? Especially hard for those of us handicapped, chronically ill, and/or in chronic pain. (Of course being tubby and bald is not an aid, either).

Why has this Catholic saint's day been turned into a universal bummer for the unattached?

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Awww....

You do realize this is a 'Hallmark Holiday,' right? A totally commercialized day?

And what nonsense!

What I think you should do, my dear chef, is invite those you enjoy over (in the future if today isn't an option) and throw a party. That's what I have started to do on my birthday (another day that I detest during the year). It makes a day that would otherwise be sad into a positive.

And if it helps at all? We love you here. :D

EveryDayAmnesiac

My amateur recipe for the V-Day blues is:

I have a little Valentine's Day tradition.

I buy chips, hummus, guacamole, pizza, beer, and booze. Then I go to wherever my home is that year. Then I get fucking hammered to the point that I can't get out of bed until late afternoon the next day.

Thanks to my little friends Absolut (Hey, I'm an ex-Northerner.) and Dogfish Head, everything is right on course this year!

:cheers:

But this year, I think I'm going to take it a little more seriously: Glenfiddich 15 and maybe a bottle of Knob Creek. :cheers:

Maybe I'll even try to make something from The Bachelor Chow Thread. :dog:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I just seem to hate most Holidays nowadays, at this point in my life all they do is accentuate how Fucking alone i actually am now.

Just another day of fishing imo

Even though its around -10 degrees in your neck of the woods?

Now back when I was healthy and still drank I would be spending the afternoon and evening in a bar looking to get laid.
Could we call that Valentine's day fishing??

ean

I just seem to hate most Holidays nowadays, at this point in my life all they do is accentuate how Fucking alone i actually am now.

Now back when I was healthy and still drank I would be spending the afternoon and evening in a bar looking to get laid.
it's fine at least you wont be delivering pizzas all night like me =P.

arf777

No longer dogless
I normally try to ignore holidays like this. This is a particularly bad year though - for the 1st time, all three of my siblings and all my adult cousins are married. I think I have only one local friend not in a long-term relationship.

And i have ben doctor-ordered to cut back on the fatty cooking. For a French-trained chef, that is seriously depressing, especially this time of year (French summer cooking is lighter). But it's giving me a reason to dive back into Chinese cooking, which can be done with very little unhealthy fat, and some Mexican, which if one avoids the cheese and cremas can be quite healthy too.

Hopefully I'll be in a different location and gig this time next year.

KidFated.

Unknown Member

-33 wind chill! It's warm in the ice house though! Me and the iolite

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Ive been married for many years. We don't pay attention to Valentines Day. Its how we treat each other 365 days a year.

Mom is right it's just a made up holiday from Hallmark. Just think how much some of these companies make off of this pretend holiday.

Just ignore and do something fun or vape another bowl of your fav bud.:leaf::peace:

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
-33 wind chill! It's warm in the ice house though! Me and the iolite
Just be careful if you hook one of these . . . :o

10987573_955341977811295_4404992900882452768_n.jpg

---
1501705_955546764457483_7198101791339994292_n.jpg

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...ve-caught-a-lot-but-never-anything-like-this/

Chill Dude

Considering French food along with their penchant for smoking cigs, their lifespan is still 4 years longer than here in the US.

Moderate daily alcohol consumption is also a big part of French culture. Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading the average Frenchman drinks on average 3 glasses of wine daily. Good evidence that moderate alcohol consumption does not lead to a shortened lifespan!

Chill Dude,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

lwien

Moderate daily alcohol consumption is also a big part of French culture. Don't quote me on this, but I remember reading the average Frenchman drinks on average 3 glasses of wine daily. Good evidence that moderate alcohol consumption does not lead to a shortened lifespan!

There are many studies that actually prove that moderate alcohol consumption actually increases lifespan.

arf777

No longer dogless

They also ride bikes and walk all over the place. My Parisian cousins are obnoxiously healthy. One is even an Olympic athlete. With some of the same genes I have. That's confusing,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Isn't it the type of alcohol though? Something about red wine? I take concentrated nanoreds as a supplement.

lwien

Isn't it the type of alcohol though? Something about red wine? I take concentrated nanoreds as a supplement.

The major health benefits from moderate alcohol consumption matters not in what type of alcohol you are consuming. There are some health benefits from the resveratol in red wine but to realize any benefits from that, you would have to consume so much that you're liver would be destroyed in no time.

Chill Dude

The question is what amount of alcohol is considered moderate? American doctors say 1 drink for a woman and 2 drinks for a man is considered moderate consumption. However, the French average daily consumption is 3 or 4 drinks a day(usually wine). The French have fewer alcohol related health problems than Americans. That said, is the new moderate 3 or 4 drinks per day? Perhaps people can consume that much alcohol without any increased health risk? IDK...

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Old Doc Wallach (Dead Doctors Don't Lie) used to say no more than 2 alcoholic drinks in a 24 hour period. I know my life would have been much better had I adhered to this philosophy.

lwien

The question is what amount of alcohol is considered moderate? American doctors say 1 drink for a woman and 2 drinks for a man is considered moderate consumption. However, the French average daily consumption is 3 or 4 drinks a day(usually wine). The French have fewer alcohol related health problems than Americans. That said, is the new moderate 3 or 4 drinks per day? Perhaps people can consume that much alcohol without any increased health risk? IDK...

Those recommendations for 2 drinks for men and 1 for women is based on hard liquor. Being that wine has less of an alcohol content than say, scotch, whiskey or vodka, what you stated above makes perfect sense.

It's that old adage that always rings true...............all things in moderation.

Top Bottom