1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Vacuum sealers, what are your opinions?

Discussion in 'Ask FC' started by Vicki, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Vicki

Vicki The Bionic Woman

That really bites, losing a large amount to mold. Fortunately, I have never had a problem with my herbs not being properly dried and cured. I still have a few desicant packs in the mason jar, though, just as a precaution.

2. Nycdeisel

Nycdeisel Well-Known Member

Actually the trichomes as well as small bits of plant matter and the lil orange hairs all have create static with the plastic, which is why it absorbs into the plastic that way after a while.

I use mason jars, and I also once lost quite a large amount to mold, it really sucks...

Vicki likes this.
  3. weed

weed Active Member

Have you noticed if your jars go cloudy over time Vicki? Like your more regularly used ones?

4. weed

weed Active Member

Yeah, its easy enough to get the pistols (red hairs) and plant matter out, but ive noticed that used (might I add its only *VERY* well used bags) the cloudy haze of what I assume is all goodies that ended up stuck to the bag forever.. I wouldnt say its alot from any one batch but i guess it would have to add up eventually, maybe an iso rinse of the old bags would get it all out i dunno..

5. Vicki

Vicki The Bionic Woman

No, they are still clear, and I've had the same mason jars since 2006. I do wash them periodically too.

6. Vicki

Vicki The Bionic Woman

That's why I have several desicant packs inside the mason jar too.

7. willieR

willieR Well-Known Member

8. Vicki

Vicki The Bionic Woman

9. willieR

It allows for a perfect cure. I was amazed.

10. OO

OO Technical Skeptical

there's no magic involved, like attracts like, and glass is polar (like water), while plastic is nonpolar (like oil), so taking into account that the resin on bud is oil-based (nonpolar), it makes sense that it would have a higher affinity for plastic than glass.

BTW, though i make it sound like compounds are either polar or nonpolar, that isn't the case, as polarity exists on a scale as do most things in life.

11. willieR

Glass is perfect for storage. I haven't looked at a baggie for three years. Sturdy, cheap, non attractive to trichomes and able to have a vacuum pulled.

12. wunderkind

wunderkind Well-Known Member

Vicki likes this.
  13. willieR

That's a great link! Seems there are many types of hand pumps and different quality.

14. wunderkind

wunderkind Well-Known Member

...glad you found it useful willie [​IMG]

15. plaifol

plaifol Active Member

I use a foodsaver to vacuum pack mason jars. I've had some packed for a few years and it comes out great. I just store them in a dark place.

16. Porquiplane

Porquiplane Look Into My Eyes

Back from the dead but....

What about Vac bags. Whats the consensus on the different brands and models of sealers/vacuums. Foodsaver is often seen, but whats everyone experience with any brands/models?

17. Vicki

Vicki The Bionic Woman

I don't know how I missed this. No, my jars have never become cloudy.

18. Lo

Lo Combustion free since '09

I've been using some of the same jars for over 3 years now and I notice no clouding. I run my jars through the dishwasher with sanitary heat setting. I've opened jars that were stored for over a year and the product inside was in fine shape. I love the mason jar method - of course properly cured/dried going into the jars is key.

Vicki likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors