Vacuum sealers, what are your opinions?

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
weed said:
I always try to seal a 'clump' if that makes sense rather than a thin layer (trying to limit surface area herbs<>plastic bag) but i know what your saying,, although haven't really experienced much of a problem there myself.. A friend of mine solely stores his in the freezer in normal glad bags, (due to the fact he once had a whole shit load go moldy), I guess if its not cured well (like his sometimes isnt when he gets it) it could loose a little potency (but I wouldn't expect a a big loss) but in saying that, the same "not cured properly" weed obviously wouldn't last long at all in a bag outside a freezer it could possibly go moldy in a month or less...

Ive also been told before glass is better than plastic because (as ive found over the years) the resin seem to magically fuse with the bags and after a while you have very milky white looking bags floating around.. As a habbit i always reuse the same bags over and over when sealing to avoid new bags getting caked, although dont know if this actually helps at all....

Maybe someone else that uses mason jars alot could tell us,, is it the same with jars after a while turning opaque almost because of sticky christals? I also dont know if static has anything to do with it so im just curious now...

That really bites, losing a large amount to mold. Fortunately, I have never had a problem with my herbs not being properly dried and cured. I still have a few desicant packs in the mason jar, though, just as a precaution.

Vicki,

Nycdeisel

Actually the trichomes as well as small bits of plant matter and the lil orange hairs all have create static with the plastic, which is why it absorbs into the plastic that way after a while.

I use mason jars, and I also once lost quite a large amount to mold, it really sucks...

Nycdeisel,
Reactions: Vicki

weed_

Have you noticed if your jars go cloudy over time Vicki? Like your more regularly used ones?

weed_,

weed_

Actually the trichomes as well as small bits of plant matter and the lil orange hairs all have create static with the plastic, which is why it absorbs into the plastic that way after a while.

Yeah, its easy enough to get the pistols (red hairs) and plant matter out, but ive noticed that used (might I add its only *VERY* well used bags) the cloudy haze of what I assume is all goodies that ended up stuck to the bag forever.. I wouldnt say its alot from any one batch but i guess it would have to add up eventually, maybe an iso rinse of the old bags would get it all out i dunno..

weed_,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
weed said:
Have you noticed if your jars go cloudy over time Vicki? Like your more regularly used ones?

No, they are still clear, and I've had the same mason jars since 2006. I do wash them periodically too.

Vicki,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
weed said:
Oh, just thought id also mention...

and also the fact that the bag is obviously air tight and has the smallest possible amount of air/bacteria/mold spores etc....

That's why I have several desicant packs inside the mason jar too.

Vicki,

OO

Technical Skeptical
weed said:
Ive also been told before glass is better than plastic because (as ive found over the years) the resin seem to magically fuse with the bags and after a while you have very milky white looking bags floating around.. As a habbit i always reuse the same bags over and over when sealing to avoid new bags getting caked, although dont know if this actually helps at all....

Maybe someone else that uses mason jars alot could tell us,, is it the same with jars after a while turning opaque almost because of sticky christals? I also dont know if static has anything to do with it so im just curious now...
there's no magic involved, like attracts like, and glass is polar (like water), while plastic is nonpolar (like oil), so taking into account that the resin on bud is oil-based (nonpolar), it makes sense that it would have a higher affinity for plastic than glass.

BTW, though i make it sound like compounds are either polar or nonpolar, that isn't the case, as polarity exists on a scale as do most things in life.

OO,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Glass is perfect for storage. I haven't looked at a baggie for three years. Sturdy, cheap, non attractive to trichomes and able to have a vacuum pulled.

willieR,
...this system has served me well. I use it for sealing everything from tea to dried hot peppers. Just use a butter knife to gently pry the lid off and you can re-use them for a long time. :)
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Alvin-Vacuum-Sealer/

11561865.jpg

wunderkind,

willieR

Been here since 2009
That's a great link! Seems there are many types of hand pumps and different quality.

willieR,

plaifol

I use a foodsaver to vacuum pack mason jars. I've had some packed for a few years and it comes out great. I just store them in a dark place.

plaifol,

Porquiplane

Look Into My Eyes
Back from the dead but....

What about Vac bags. Whats the consensus on the different brands and models of sealers/vacuums. Foodsaver is often seen, but whats everyone experience with any brands/models?

Porquiplane,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I've been using some of the same jars for over 3 years now and I notice no clouding. I run my jars through the dishwasher with sanitary heat setting. I've opened jars that were stored for over a year and the product inside was in fine shape. I love the mason jar method - of course properly cured/dried going into the jars is key.

Lo,
Top Bottom