1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Durban Poison for Tincture -- Decarb and THC-V

Discussion in 'Cooking with Cannabis' started by blockcauldron, Aug 15, 2017.

1. blockcauldron

blockcauldron Member

There are a few purported high THC-V strains like Durban Poison, usually landrace African sativa ones. If you combust, you reach THC-V's boiling point of 428 degrees Fahrenheit. If you vape, you must vape to that temp to get that compound. But if you use Durban Poison for a tincture:

1. Will the tincture (alcohol or glycerin) retain the THC-V via normal decarboxylation and extraction methods? Do people usually decarb or heat in any way to this high a temp? Is there any way short of that for THC-V to be in the final tincture?

2. Why do typical analytical reports not report THC-V content?

Ohmie likes this.
  2. 4tokin

4tokin Well-Known Member

Don't be discouraged by the lack of replies. You have gone over my head, not that it means much.

I am curious about what effects you are seeking in a sativa tincture as most are made from indicas for the sedative pain relief aspect.

3. herbivore21

herbivore21 Well-Known Member

THC-V does start out on the plant as THC-VA, a carboxylic acid precursor to THC-V (see http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0379073811001150).

As such, yes, decarboxylation is required to achieve THC-V in your edible/tincture product. The difficulty here is that I have not yet found any article that outlines the decarboxylation temperature/time gradient of THC-VA into THC-V. THC-VA is not very well studied in the research literature and where mentioned in the articles I've found (like the link I shared above), is typically being considered as an analytical marker in drug testing used to differentiate between pharmaceutical formulations containing THC-V and use of botanical cannabis.

Analytical reports may not report THC-V for a number of reasons. The most crucial reason is because THC-V is considered a rare, minor cannabinoid. It (well, its precursor THC-VA actually) is not commonly found in most of the varieties out there. As an aside, due to the above reasons, THC-VA is actually what you are more likely to find in botanical cannabis, not THC-V. This is similar to the fact that you're more likely to find much more THC-A than THC in botanical cannabis samples. The presence of THC-V or THC would indicate some form of thermal-oxidative decomposition of the sample.

The reports may also not contain measures of THC-V in cases where labs only offer very limited testing (THC/CBD/CBN and that is all). A lot of testing results I've seen report very little of the information relevant to a cannabis user. THC-V/THC-VA are considered rare minor cannabinoids.

I apologize that I could not help more, but unfortunately, this is not a question to which answers are easy to find :peace:

Silver420Surfer and 4tokin like this.
  4. sickmanfraud

sickmanfraud Well-Known Member

The king of tincture makers (IMHO) is PsychadelicSam over at GrassCity.

There is a stickie thread called Another Tincture thread try it you'll like it. Almost 800 pages, but you can ask and hopefully answer your question.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors