Using Concentrates with Dry Herb Vapes

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Forgive me if I missed a stand-alone thread for this topic…

This thread is to share concentrates (not cartridges) tips with those of us without a standalone concentrate vape.

I am just starting to get into concentrates - and not ready to dive into a rig - instead I want to make do with what I already have.
Please share any tips you have for specific vapes and just general concentrate tips.

I had a hard time handling the Rosin - it just sticks to the dab tool, hard to easily scoop up a piece and drop on the pad.
So I froze the Rosin and it has made it much easier. Is this okay to do with rosin?

Here is how I have used my Crafty/Mighty:
I preheat with clean concentrate pad. Once heated, I add a small drop of goodies to pad, close up and puff away.
The taste is pretty miserable after first hit - not sure if that is the metal pad, or if I am using at too high a temp?

Also, testing out concentrate pads for the Neo with Terp Surfer and flavor is really good! Much better on the mid/low temps.

I am planning on trying out my Pax 3 at some point - I’ve heard positive feedback from others.

I definitely want to try out my dynavap as well - I have an unused coil, any tips to get started?

Please share which Vapes you use with concentrates and how you get best results.
TIA!

Last edited:

GoldenBud

In a vapcap just put around 0.04gr of weed and tamp in down just lil a bit so when you put your concentrate and close the tip with the cap, the concentrate won't get sticked to the cap, no need for coil IMHO, just use bed of herb each time

I like to vape concentrates in my HI, log.. no need to replace batteries, concentrates need more power to get vaped
also i like to vape concentrates with my tubo so maybe you will like it in Tinymight?

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
I'm with @FlyingLow although I think a mod based bucket is also good.
If you like your concentrate, I suggest using a concentrate device for it.
I've used mighty with pads and DV with coil and fibre. Never taste as good.
I understand your desire to use what you have but a cheap mod plus something like a sequoia would be much better imo.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I had a hard time handling the Rosin - it just sticks to the dab tool, hard to easily scoop up a piece and drop on the pad.
So I froze the Rosin and it has made it much easier. Is this okay to do with rosin?
Just in the fridge will do, stops shards from flying...I have a Puffco Hot Knife that works well enough but is overpriced and under quality!
I definitely want to try out my dynavap as well - I have an unused coil, any tips to get started?
If you have it you may as well use it as that is what it is designed for unlike your Mighty where concentrates are an afterthought.
I am not sure how far past the click you should go.
If you already have a bong just grab a cheap banger as that will work better than any 'hack' in a herb vape as @FlyingLow already suggested.

Polarbearboy

Tokin' Away Since 1968
Absolutely adore my Crafty and my VapCap collection. Tried both two years ago(before Dynavap coil came out) when first getting into concentrates. Yah, I got something, a bit of taste and a decent high. Now having tried multiple dedicated concentrate techniques--Sai + mod with multiple coils, Terp pen, Rio, big rig with bangers, G Pen Connect, cartridges, and more--I never, never, use my flower vapes for concentrates. They just don't do concentrates any justice. Sorry. Plus the concentrates can quickly gunk up those devices, particularly if a big dab drips down into the air intake.

Rio was like a gateway drug for me. I thought "I'm never going to use a butane torch", that's for crack addicts. Now I've got bangers hanging off big rigs and rarely if ever use the Rio itself. With 4/20 coming up, I'd get a Rio on sale, which is what I did and what I recommend to you. Alternatively, try a quality live resin cartridge--the pencil batteries are cheap--just to get the whole taste of the concentrate and feel its effects. You won't turn back.

PS: After two years of nearly daily use of concentrates and with dabbing tools up the wazoo, handling sticky gooey waxes, budders, resins, rosins, sugars, etc. can still drive me a bit crazy. Its one of the reasons I keep some shatter in my cabinet, as it just breaks off and can be dropped down into a small narrow crucible or banger.

PPS: I know FlyingHigh doesn't like the Rio core banger, but its my favorite in part because its easy to get a sticky dab properly positioned in a deep banger.

Last edited:

danjens

Could always just dabble with a nectar collector. If you like it, put together a rig.

Otherwise, a flower/trate sandwich in a dynavap is tough to beat. Simple and efficient, no coil needed.
I think the fw7 is worth mentioning. It’s like a battery powered, button fired dyna for trate sandwiches.
Tinymight and Zion m are two others I’ll use with concentrates at times, but I have found I like having a little conduction heating when there is more than flower in the mix.

danjens,

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
PPS: I know FlyingHigh doesn't like the Rio core banger, but its my favorite in part because its easy to get a sticky dab properly positioned in a deep banger.

An old trick we used to use for hard to load wax pens back in the day is to heat the surface up briefly, then you can “paint” your dab on. With the RiO you’d just blast the torch for a second to warm the banger, then “paint” your dab on.

invertedisdead,
Reactions: LesPlenty

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Everyone has their own tastes.

I did use my dynavaps for concentrates a lot in the past. Never got into the coil. I just wrapped some rosin in organic cotton. After a few years I got tired of that and went to erigs.

A easy to use device is the new Core 2 that has divine tribe's V5 heater. I use a V5 with the older Core and it works very well. Very user friendly, especially compared to the V5 with a separate mod IMO. But I can't handle the massive blasts you get from torch bangers and larger setups. You may prefer it. The erig is plenty for me. I think I would hurt myself with a Rio.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Stashe has a whole new line of bangers, and likely addressed many of the issues I had- hell, they are even moving to welded joints.

@Polarbearboy ~ You use yours perfectly. Most persons that come home with a new RiO are not educated and load on or on to of the core, resulting in very nasty hot dabs by the time the concentrate melts...

FlyingLow,
Reactions: LesPlenty

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yeah I used to use my sticky bricks, essence, etc. and Splinter Z in high wattage with steel mesh pads (or ceramic flavor saver) for convection dabbing, but now that I have proper torch and banger, and even erig set ups that I use much less, I never bother with convection dabbing anymore, and I would never bother using any of my session style conduction vapes for dabs ever, that seems like a total waste of the dab and a fast way to dirty up your vape in ways that are possibly impossible to clean :lol: :shrug::2c:

Top Bottom