Using Cannabis as a Student

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
What is your opinion on the matter? Are you able to balance vaping (and possibly smoking) with school? Do you vape daily or weekly? Once a day or several times a day? Do you feel less motivated due to vaping? Are your grades at your normal level?

Edit: this thread is primarily targeted at bachelor degree seeking college students, but to other students or former students with insight, feel free to chime in.

Deadhead101,

MG23

Relaxin'
I almost always vape a PD tube before any of my classes that I don't have a test to take. I don't have any difficulty focusing or motivating myself in class after just one tube, but I feel better and the class goes by much quicker and easier.
If I have an exam of some kind or want to completely keep my mind from drifting I'll refrain from vaping at all.

Back before I owned a vaporizer I was unable to do this. Smoking simply takes away too much focus and motivation.

MG23,

OO

Technical Skeptical
my grades have improved since i began using more frequently, but it has little to nothing to do with my usage.

it's all about personal control.

find what works for you and keep it working for you so you don't work for it.

OO,

crawdad

floatin
Deadhead101 said:
Edit: this thread is primarily targeted at bachelor degree seeking college students, but to other students or former students with insight, feel free to chime in.

LMAO! lovely.

well, i have a bs and honestly if i had toked before i had my bs i might not have it now, id like to think id see through too much of the bullshit in our society (would of lumped a degree up into the bullshit) and might have just quit. no experience though since i did not actually toke when in college, but just a wild guess looking back.

im not the kind to toke up and go to work or do some job around the house though, just not how i function...so likely if i were a toker in college i would of waited till i was done studying or save it for weekends only.

crawdad,

Cleanfiend

Of course, everyone responds to MJ in different ways; I would be apt to think that most of us congregated here on a vaporizer forum have had favorable interactions with MJ. While I find a toke to be calming and focus-increasing, many others have opposite reactions. Ultimately, your decision should reflect what you believe is the most responsible/functional approach.

For me, my GPA went through the roof when I started using marijuana daily in college. It helped me to focus while reading long passages, something that I had always struggled with. It gave me a deeper appreciation for different learning techniques, and with experimentation, I found a method of studying for me that was full proof. I attribute some of my success to MJ, but know that it is will power that truly determines success.

I also watched many of my close friends, who also were daily users, suffer academically. they often missed class, handed in papers late, etc. To them, school was not interesting or important.

There is no right answer because we all are different. But I would venture to bet that when polling a vaporizer community about the appropriateness of vaporizing in X setting, that they will support that motion. Just saying....

Cleanfiend,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Got a BS and BA and never ever toked before a class, lab, studying, or an exam. As a grad student it was a different matter entirely :brow: I only had myself to worry about, and didn't have a problem heading to the bar for lunchbreak (and a toke) or buying/selling to/from the undergrads. Things definitely got out of hand so I left MJ behind for several years.

Tom

tdavie,

weedemon

enthusiast
I am a College student just finishing up my last year here. 1 month to go! :) i blaze all day, every day(since 2001). I go though 1-2 grams of herb a day on average I would say.

anyways, my general rule for myself is within an hour before class starts I stop vapin. this allows me to feel sober enough for student and teacher interactions. haha. If I have a big test I will also go longer than that.

im an honor role student (well 2/3 semesters anyways :p was .4% shy on the other. so it's not true that you can do well in school and be stoner too. I would say my peers in class look up to me. they always make me the team leader on everything.

What it all comes down to is responsibility and knowing what you are doing regarding your priorities.

weedemon,

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
crawdad said:
Deadhead101 said:

LMAO! lovely.
haha. I considered that to be my special test subject pooling tool. I was (and am also now) vaked at the time.

Anyway, the notion that the people responding to my post are impartial and biased due to their likelihood of being fond of marijuana doesn't matter to me. I consider my beliefs on marijuana to be much closer to most of the people on this forum as opposed to many of the not so bright classic stoners I've seen either in real life or at other mj forums. Therefore, any of the opinions and insight I get from people here are extremely valid to me. :brow:

Deadhead101,

danalee48

Working towards a BMus in Opera Performance. I rarely vape before school or classes, but once I get home I am usually consta-vaked. My marks have not changed since I began vaping, but have stayed static. I remain on honour roll and have even received scholarships for my academic and musical ability since I began using cannabis. I find that it makes doing homework quite a bit less monotonous and going to 3-hour long choir rehearsals go by a lot faster :)

danalee48,

kewpcer

I wrote out a big response, but it summed to this.

For daily mj usage in school...

There is a strong chance that it will hurt your academics due to loss of motivation.
There is a stronger chance that at the very least, it will do you no favors.
There is a small (<5%) that it will give you a noticeable positive impact. Like how Nyquil makes some kids twack out and go through the roof like they're on meth.

The thing with school is, you work hard, study, take the tests, get an A, and ding... get you happy brain chemical reward. When you pipe in your sense of well-being in before you go to the first class, then it's harder to make it in that day.

I do it. My grades are good. I have OCD like crazy though. I have calendars and post-its all over the place, and now that I mention it, I've been washing my hands more, lol. Seriously. I've "weeded out" and forgotten very important meetings, exams, etc. and had to lie my way out of a jam which I don't like doing. Too many lies make a liar. There is a level of paranoia that comes with being a medicated professional that you may not like the flavor of once you get a taste.

That said, I'm envious of my buddies who are construction contractors. They make 20 bucks an hour to build things and smoke out all day. Talk about a dream job...

So as you can see, mj poses all of the same risks at the same levels as Xbox Live does. Don't laugh, how may parents do you think have spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for their kids to play Halo for 5 years and get a degree in nothing?

kewpcer,

Brother Brigham

King, Priest and Ruler over Israel on Earth
/\/\ I agree. Well thought out, IMO. I didnt use cannabis during my undergraduate degree, and likely will not use it medicinally when I go back to school in a few more years...just recreationally. Hopefully by then I can find a better drug for my crazy that will allow me to concentrate (al la therapy and prescriptions). It would be far too difficult for me to do well in academia while using throughout the day...concentrated focus and study don't mix well with weed for this sailor.

Brother Brigham,

jsuss13

Hey guys,

There's a lot of interesting knowledge being shared here. I can't chip in myself as I wasn't using in college. However, I was wondering how you all felt about cannabis use during high school. My 15-year-old sophomore (who doesn't know I vape) has been using on weekends since freshman year. He's been getting solid grades in all honors classes, though this year his average dropped from A- to B+. I understand cannabis effects the developing brain very differently, will his usage negatively effect him down the road? Also, I have suspicions he is getting high closer to 3 times per week now, though he still claims it is only on Friday nights.

jsuss13,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
I am currently in college and I haven't found it to be much of an issue actually. I mainly vaporize at night after a long day or studying so it doesn't really affect me much. I TRY to refrain from vaping all day or before class, and sometimes I just take the whole week off from vaping to focus on school stuff, but there are also times when I vape all the time during school. Anyways, I am doing well academically. Got a 3.8 last semester (its my junior year)

:)

so i'm not too worried!

Elluzion,

budballer

weedemon said:
What it all comes down to is responsibility and knowing what you are doing regarding your priorities.

This, so true. I'm an engineering student at a university. As long as I keep it to weekends and maybe after an exam I'm straight.

budballer,

sotero

I'm an engineering student who vapes pretty much constantly, except for one rule: no vaping the day of an exam. Even a long time before the exam, I think the slight burnout has a negative impact.

sotero,

momatik

At times, cannabis has served as a great motivating tool. I use it all the time for doing long readings as well. That's not to say that it hasn't served as a distraction more than once.

momatik,
sometimes I excel stoned and sometimes I dont. Its a hard balance to find. I think the best way is to refrain during the week but thats easier said then done. sometimes I need that medicine to face a day of studies.

chiefironlung,

rabblerouser

Combustion Fucker
I had better grades the year I made sure to have everything done before smoking.
I did have more going on in later years, but think smoking more helped take a toll on grades.

A lot of that was due to me being young and getting really baked back then. Now that I'm older I find it mostly relaxes me, and does help me focus on work.

rabblerouser,
fuck'd up off a plethora of drugs still get an average of 3.4 gpa at a private liberal arts school. Go to class baked, its decent. Only thing I see slipping is the quality of work since Im always zooted. stay high :peace:

biojuggernaut,

TwztedVaper

Boom Shankar
I'ven been vaping all day everyday this 3rd year at school and I still have a 3.6+ GPA in a Double Honours ( Math and Econ) program. Grades haven't really fallen, but the amount of work I put in definitely has. I like it :brow:

sotero said:
I'm an engineering student who vapes pretty much constantly, except for one rule: no vaping the day of an exam. Even a long time before the exam, I think the slight burnout has a negative impact.
Funny you mention that. I just finished writing 3 finals this past week, and I made sure never to vape before the exam at any time, but I swear I was still feeling really buzzed all morning/afternoon until the finals. I think it's just from vaping the night before and from how long I've been vaping nearly 24/7. It was kinda scary actually too coz I was sketching out pretty bad during one of the exams. Next semester I'm probably gonna stop vaping 2-3 days before my finals start to make sure i'm 100% sober. :peace: :2c: :ko:

TwztedVaper,

Fenton Mewley

A man in search of cloudier pastures
I can manage getting high with school. I did all right last quarter (3.43), and they were pretty tough courses.

The only thing that I have trouble with is studying whilst actually high. It's one of the toughest things for me, so I basically plan out what to do and when to get lifted.

Kind of tough managing my habits (weed and videgames) with social life, and school. Gotta be responsible. Gotta grow up. :/

Fenton Mewley,

GreenLeaf

When I was in college and even highschool I didn't smoke daily at all. For the most part except for a few times I did not go to class stoned which was enjoyable but I did this in classes when I had to listen to a lecture and I had friends in the class so if I needed notes or clarification I could just ask them, or we were watching a documentary. I never took any sort of exam stoned. I just would use on the weekends either once or a few times a month when I didn't have a lot of work, reading, or projects that had to be done.

I did write part of a 20 page paper for sociology stoned but that was fine to do this since out of 30 people in the class with 20 page papers the Professor isn't going to read every single word in every paper there would be lots of skimming.

I did smoke on weekends at the end of my Senior year in HS and I smoked daily during the summer for a month once when I was not taking any summer classes at all like I usually did every year.

I did have a period of time when I was drinking daily in college in large amounts but I was hanging out with alcoholics and party kids and there was always an abundance of cheap booze. Unless it was a night class I really didn't get buzzed or drunk before class. Still though even though I was abusing alcohol and drinking daily I didn't take exams while drunk/bombed or write papers or do projects for class while drunk.

I also remember in college taking LSD daily for 5 days straight but I did that only during the first 5 days of the Fall semester one year and again at the start of the spring semester. It was the start of a new semester then and not much would happen the first 5 days since classes would just start and you'd have people who would decide that they didn't want to be in a certain class so they'd drop it and pick up another one.

GreenLeaf,
Damn, this thread is making me want to reevaluate my position as a student. Ehh, there is always next term. No but really. . . :cool:

biojuggernaut,
Top Bottom