Using Cannabis as a Parent

lwien

Ennui Cookout said:
I'm not sure if I qualify remotely as having any specific insight, but I did grow up with some experience here. Long story short, my mother in particular smokes up due to her multiple sclerosis since it helps offset her painful medications. She's not in an MMJ state. While I had known she and my father both were into drugs when they met, she had gone through great lengths to conceal her occasional usage of pot from me growing up.

Eventually, this all came out when I was in my twenties. I was absolutely fine with it, as I was already smoking myself. However, she did remark one thing -- She was always worried I'd NARC on her or otherwise run my mouth in a way that'd catch her (and possibly myself and the rest of my family) in serious trouble. To be really honest, I 100% agree with her assessment. When I was a kid, I ran my mouth. A lot. Always wanted to show off to my peers, to get in with the 'cool kids', etc. -- Had I been trusted with her secret, I realize I could have possibly blown it pretty bad. The worst part is I know I'd have done it with no actual malice.

Now when I see her, everything is absolutely fine and we toke up and play board games, which is totally rad. I wouldn't change anything about this. I certainly don't resent her for not trusting me. Kids are kids. I'm sure you, just like my mother, have that weirdo parental instinct that will tell you when the coast is clear and it's fine to share it. I just wouldn't entrust a big secret to your child that could put them into a bad position simply because they're still kids and will make mistakes.

Well said, Ennui. Another really valid reason to keep things on the down-low for awhile.

lwien,

fidget

lwien said:
Ennui Cookout said:
I'm not sure if I qualify remotely as having any specific insight, but I did grow up with some experience here. Long story short, my mother in particular smokes up due to her multiple sclerosis since it helps offset her painful medications. She's not in an MMJ state. While I had known she and my father both were into drugs when they met, she had gone through great lengths to conceal her occasional usage of pot from me growing up.

Eventually, this all came out when I was in my twenties. I was absolutely fine with it, as I was already smoking myself. However, she did remark one thing -- She was always worried I'd NARC on her or otherwise run my mouth in a way that'd catch her (and possibly myself and the rest of my family) in serious trouble. To be really honest, I 100% agree with her assessment. When I was a kid, I ran my mouth. A lot. Always wanted to show off to my peers, to get in with the 'cool kids', etc. -- Had I been trusted with her secret, I realize I could have possibly blown it pretty bad. The worst part is I know I'd have done it with no actual malice.

Now when I see her, everything is absolutely fine and we toke up and play board games, which is totally rad. I wouldn't change anything about this. I certainly don't resent her for not trusting me. Kids are kids. I'm sure you, just like my mother, have that weirdo parental instinct that will tell you when the coast is clear and it's fine to share it. I just wouldn't entrust a big secret to your child that could put them into a bad position simply because they're still kids and will make mistakes.

Well said, Ennui. Another really valid reason to keep things on the down-low for awhile.

+1

fidget,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Haze, thanks for that. I figured there was some president to help me.
Last night at a party i found out that a friend has a great doc who understands just how beneficial cannabis is for people with bipolar like mine. I will be looking into that as soon as hubby and I get health insurance back up and running.

Interesting points, all. I think it really boils down to telling your kids when they are ready, if they are ready.

herbgirl,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
herbgirl said:
Haze, thanks for that. I figured there was some president to help me.
Last night at a party i found out that a friend has a great doc who understands just how beneficial cannabis is for people with bipolar like mine. I will be looking into that as soon as hubby and I get health insurance back up and running.

Interesting points, all. I think it really boils down to telling your kids when they are ready, if they are ready.

I promise this is the last time I hop in here....but your welcome HG...and I dont know how things work everywhere else, but I know that the doctor I have been seeing now, does not take insurance...as seems to be the case with many of the practices around here that recommend cannabis. but best of luck with your ventures, and if you end up legal, maybe you could eventually contribute to a local dispensary or co-op, with your elitist cooking skills!

Purpl3_Haz3,
Top Bottom