usable pictures for sandblasting glass?

tepictoton

So I am awaiting my new bubbler from EFS.

It was supposed to be in the making by now, but I understood from the blower that it will take another week to get his new shop up and running.

Only problem is, this gave me more time to dig into his work and made me find out there are still plenty of options to be considered :ko:

So I started wondering about a custom sandblast, seeing I have seen this being mentioned on fora and saw several nice pieces from EFS with exactly that. Seeing I am a complete noob with this, would it be possible to make a drawing yourself, take a picture of it and have it blasted on the can? Or does this only work with 'digital drawings'? Maybe custom blastings are more expansive? Or is it just a matter of uploading the file and having some machine do it?

Why am asking this, is because I am seriously considering senidng one of my own drawings to see if it would be an extra cost to do this picture, or if that would just mean I would have to waith a bit longer...

anybody has any idea of this? mailed EFS about it too, but he is busy for now wich I understand but seeing I have some extra time left I taught I might ask here to see if this can be done with a normal picture of a drawing?

tepictoton,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I would assume a custom blasting would be more than one of his stock blastings, but I'm not sure.

I'd also assume you need a digital version of the image, but again, not sure.

Keep us posted when Justin gets back to you.
:popcorn:

Frederick McGuire,

tepictoton

thnks for your input.

I took the picture with a digital camery, does that make it a digital image? I mean I can definately see some shades on it and can imagine a computer will not read as it would read a digitally drawn image...maybe someone with a bit more photoshop knowledge migt shime in and enlighten us on it.

If it's done by computer, meaning the blasting, then I guess a bit of an extra cost might be involved, but that could not be too much. I also remember bigdaddyvapor getting some custom blastings done, but admittedly that logo was way much simpler...

will keep you posted

tepictoton,

tepictoton

here is an example of what i want to work with:
302qdjn.jpg

noserub

The Earl of Indica
That's a cool drawing man! Most likely this image will need to be opened in a photo editing application like Photoshop to process the image. I believe they sometimes create a negative of the image for sandblasting, but I don't know a ton about sandblasting or what paramaters to apply in creating the negative (or if it matters). Hopefully some other folks that are familiar with sandblasting will help answer the question of how to prepare a photo, as well as how it is then applied to the glass?

Takavor23

Lev of Leviathan
Glass Blower
If they have the right program and a vinyl sticker machine its possible. It would need to be drawn out and thickened. The intricacies would possibly get lost or cut during a sand blasting. I'm sure it would cost a little extra from whomever you're getting it from but honestly it makes the piece a one of a kind and you cannot put a price on that.

Top Bottom