(UNVERIFIED) Skinny by Storz & Bickel

XpeeN

You’ve been around here a few months; when you’ve been around here a few years and every, single, S&B question the same people show up to tell everyone how ugly, and stupid everything S&B is…

It gets old. If you have to show up and give your negative opinion EVERY time anyone even mentions S&B, that’s taking things about as personal as could be.
I just want to note that if someone asks recommendation for a vape, we'll sure jump in and list 10 devices that in our opinion are better in almost every way possible, while fitting OP's requirements, every single time, because the people that asks deserve it. Actually tbh the SnB fans that are jumping in and telling people to buy their mEdIcAl cErTiFieD products, while being infirior to other options. bothers me more.
Other than that, I don't give SnB a single thought in my daily ent life. They can release whatever the fuck they want and as long it pushes the industry forward (more awareness about DHV counts as well) they have my blessing. They'll probably would never see an income from me though.

maremaresing

Whatever the airpath material (I most prefer SS/Ti/Glass), I want and ability to clean the entire airpath. Portables have very limited use in very clean areas for me if I cannot clean out any dirt/dust/grime/lint that gets in the airpath.

Previous SB vapes haven't had this, so I'm not holding my breath.

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
I have owned a lot of vapes. I felt like I needed to try a S&B portable, I was a little skeptical, but went in with an open mind. I got a 2nd hand crafty plus.

I sold it about a week later. Vapor production was okay, flavour was okay. It worked, and was easy to use. However I did not really see anything special. What I really did not like was the feel of the thing.

People say the Tinymight feels "fragile". I don't agree, but the crafty plus felt like it was one drop away from the dustbin. It did feel fragile, and plasticy. The venty seems to be going down the same plasticy route. Shame, as a nice aluminium case like a HR or rubberised coating would look way better. My HR took a 6ft drop with only a tiny dent.

I am afraid for that reason I am out.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Cool. I don’t mind waiting for it to heat up. Especially if it means I don’t have to take 20 second huffs.

On demand vaping does not mean a 20sec hit, it also does not mean one giant bong rip, it means control in the creation of the vapor (manually as opposed to automatic creation) heat up time is related though also separate, basically it means more versatility although less mindlessness in use potentially (there are so many different types of vapes, even similar, categories overlapping, some people could find a session device complicated to use as well)

Why are they here then? This is a thread for the new SB device. It’s not for the ondemand huffing glass purists.

As far as I can tell, most of the criticism, was not about it not being on demand... There were a few people who listed that as something they wished for, and there was talk of artisan vapes, but if you want to distill it down to on-demand fanboys shitting on every session device, that's your prerogative I guess? I just happen to think it is wildly inaccurate based on my own comprehension reading everything here...

Any new vape release is interesting for many of us enthusiasts, in reality there is no gatekeeping here, we all get to share our thoughts equally, just follow the rules and respect each other :tup:

Adobewan

Wow, did this thread expand by pages overnight?
Some of the comments made me laugh out loud, but some...
It's easy to succumb to that internal heat when faced with resistance about something we're passionate about, probably in our wiring, but I like to think we're all on the same team here. I continue to be encouraged that FC is a friendly place.
It's worth keeping that way.

Regarding this new offering from S&B, I have a Crafty and have used the Mighty for a couple of weeks. I no longer reach for either due to unimpressive performance. My Tinymight, Angus, Alp, and Fireflies 1&2, are all preferred for performance, price, removable batteries, and versatility.
But...
I love portable vapes and hope this is something special we'll all soon be enjoying.

floribud

First off I can't believe we have 10 pages for a vape with almost no specs available. At least with the Tempest pages we actually know what the vape is trying to do...
I guess that's where I disagree, as I don't feel there really is any competition to the Mighty/Crafty currently.
You have not tried the YLLVape Angus have you? It is, in some ways, exactly the same vape. Two 18650s on the left and right, heater in a column up the center and a plastic cooling attachment up top. But the Angus tastes better than the Mighty for about $100 less. Why because YLL looked at what the Mighty did well and kept that while changing what the Mighty doesn't do well.

The problem with S&B is that they came out with this design, like 13 years ago??? and they haven't done anything to improve the core tech. YLL comes along and basically shows they can make a better-tasting session hybrid vape with 1 engineer and community feedback. S&B should have testing new heater tech for years now, but in all the time between the Mighty and Mighty+ all they could come up with is a heater with slightly less material so it heats up a few seconds faster.

Now I'm not saying the Mighty sucks... it tastes really good for about 2 minutes(but you'll need another 3 to fully extract the bowl), it fits in a pocket well, I'm not afraid to drop it, It's very light for its size, the plastic heat fins make it pretty cool to touch... All these things are great but imho the Angus tastes so much better so much deeper into the extraction cycle than the Mighty and for that I'll deal with the extra weight, delicateness, and heat. It's still braindead simply to use... just like the Mighty.

For the simple reason that S&B invests heavily in advertising (it's certainly the brand with the highest finances in this area). What's more, they have lots of partners/reviewers who offer them even more advertising/credibility in exchange for a few good deals (just look at Troy and co).
Troy must be making bank from all the Mighty affiliate fees he generates. But like someone else said, he's a former smoker. As someone who never smoked tobacco and who stopped smoking MJ for 14 years, then 6 year's ago came back to discover the vape world, I probably have a very different palate than Troy, and for my money the Mighty is just A'ight

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
It's easy to succumb to that internal heat when faced with resistance about something we're passionate about, probably in our wiring, but I like to think we're all on the same team here. I continue to be encouraged that FC is a friendly place.
It's worth keeping that way.
Basically ended up being this comic (can’t figure out how to embed links on mobile):

Original:

seki

As far as I can tell, most of the criticism, was not about it not being on demand...

I don't disagree with your thoughts on what specifically on-demand vaping means, but regarding the Venty, we don't know if it's an on demand device or not, we don't know what the "new developed heater technology" is or even if the heater has changed or is the same aluminum heater they had before. People can certainly make educated guesses based on S&B's track record, but the only concrete info we have is what it looks like and what the name is and that's because someone went poking around on the S&B website and found pics that weren't officially published.

Based on personal experience, the original Mighty takes about 60-90 seconds to get to vaping temp. From videos I saw of the Mighty+ it was reaching the same temps in about 45-50 seconds. If the Venty can reduce that further to 30-45 seconds, I'd say that's pretty darn close to on-demand territory IMO. That's why I'm personally curious to see if there are any changes under the hood.

Outside of that, we literally have no other information, so a lot of the criticism seems like it's based on how people feel about the Mighty and Crafty given the nature of the complaints.

There's a good chance that once it's officially announced tomorrow and we have specific info that most of the detractors in this thread will be proven right because things always get picked apart and examined in minute detail here, but until there's something to actually pick apart and examine, it looks to me like people are just getting mad at nothing and summarily dismissing a product that they've never tried, based on what it looks like and without knowing anything else beyond what they can glean from a few marketing pics.

Shit Snacks

All these things are great but imho the Angus tastes so much better so much deeper into the extraction cycle than the Mighty and for that I'll deal with the extra weight, delicateness, and heat. It's still braindead simply to use... just like the Mighty.

Not that it's very on topic, but I have to say I was still super disappointed with the taste coming from the Angus itself personally, especially deeper into the extraction cycle, I think in that sense the Mighty was actually preferable to me at least... Not that I expect anything spectacular regarding flavor for the Venty by my standards, but I do expect it to be better than my Angus experience :shrug:

Based on personal experience, the original Mighty takes about 60-90 seconds to get to vaping temp. From videos I saw of the Mighty+ it was reaching the same temps in about 45-50 seconds. If the Venty can reduce that further to 30-45 seconds, I'd say that's pretty darn close to on-demand territory IMO

Yeah, we don't know anything about it in that way, but it would be shocking if it was on demand imo (to be clear I was really just responding to that person saying most complaints were folks who love on demand just annoyed that this is a session device)

However, what you describe here is not on demand at all in my experience, as I had mentioned, that is just the heat up time... Would not make this an on-demand vape, what would, is if it had a trigger of some sort that instantly powers the heater on demand, as opposed to warming up for a session that will largely create vapor automatically on its own (and most on demand vapes are near instant, but some require preheat time even if it is quicker than most session heat ups) there are plenty of session vapes that heat up within 30 seconds and they are still not on demand (ie mostly manual) vapes :tup:

Last edited:

staircase slight of hand

Everyone is talking like the S&B and the Mighty/Crafty sucks and yet they're likely the best selling portable vape of all time?
Grenco’s sold far more vapes than S&B. Do you think this makes them objectively better than S&B? If not, I’m not really following your reasoning.

The mighty/volcano medic versions have EM shielding so they are safe to use with a pacemaker, and can be used in hospitals.
This simply isn’t true.

HughJundys

Waistband Optimizer
Staff member
**Multiple deletions of several members posts. Love reading varying opinions but want to keep product thread more product focused and a little less argumentative. Not all posts deleted were unwanted/warranted but again an attempt to keep product threads more on track. There are other forum areas for debate.**

seki

However, what you describe here is not on demand at all in my experience, as I had mentioned, that is just the heat up time... Would not make this an on-demand vape, what would, is if it had a trigger of some sort that instantly powers the heater on demand, as opposed to warming up for a session that will largely create vapor automatically on its own (and most on demand vapes are near instant, but some require preheat time even if it is quicker than most session heat ups) there are plenty of session vapes that heat up within 30 seconds and they are still not on demand (ie mostly manual) vapes :tup:
I suppose it depends on what temperatures you're starting out at, but for me, my TM2 takes about 10-12 seconds on 6 before it buzzes and I get good vapour on the first hit. I don't think it's unreasonable to say something that potentially takes just 18 seconds longer than that but also produces good vapour on the first hit is:

pretty darn close to on-demand territory IMO
I didn't suggest that it would be on demand, but that if it could achieve that heating rate it would be close approaching it, in my opinion.

That's just my personal threshold, but everyone's got different preferences. People can obviously say what they want about the device, I just think it makes sense to find out how it works before dismissing it outright or making assertions about the type of device that it actually is.

Shit Snacks

I suppose it depends on what temperatures you're starting out at, but for me, my TM2 takes about 10-12 seconds on 6 before it buzzes and I get good vapour on the first hit. I don't think it's unreasonable to say something that potentially takes just 18 seconds longer than that but also produces good vapour on the first hit is:

I didn't suggest that it would be on demand, but that if it could achieve that heating rate it would be close approaching it, in my opinion.

That's just my personal threshold, but everyone's got different preferences. People can obviously say what they want about the device, I just think it makes sense to find out how it works before dismissing it outright or making assertions about the type of device that it actually is.

Yeah, but my point is that heat up, it is pretty irrelevant... a separate distinction... The definition for on demand style vaping, is user control of the heat extraction process... Session style vaping does not give you that control (many of the current generation of mainstream on demand vapes offer a session mode, which is really more of an autofire, activating the on-demand trigger for you, but it does not really turn it into a session style vape... In this case, if the session style vape heats up quickly, it still needs to then separately be powered down in order to stop automatically cooking the herb for you, it is not designed to be used on demand the same way as those are) :2c::peace:

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
People can obviously say what they want about the device, I just think it makes sense to find out how it works before dismissing it outright or making assertions about the type of device that it actually is.
What is bizarre to me is this follows speculation about a very specific kind of session device that would, in your opinion, effectively redefine the category.

Grass Yes,
Reactions: pomogirl

Adobewan

As I understand them:
Session = Vaporizer is heating for the entire time it's on, for the session. Great for passing around as no one has to do anything but draw.
On-Demand = Vaporizer is only heating while triggered. For whenever you want/DEMAND a single hit. It doesn't keep cooking the chamber.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Yeah I still would love to know more about the medical cert and if it actually holds any weight at all.
I agree it would be great to hear HOW it is certified.
Done at the same place VW tune their cars.:lol:
I did look up where their certificate was gained about 4 or 5 years ago (pasted in the Mighty thread somewhere from memory) and it looked lower-tech than my shed (it looked Russian, not German).:2c:
I like the idea of having Bluetooth as well as a LCD screen...best of both worlds and the Bluetooth will be handy if the LCD screen shits itself (no App for iPhone users though I suspect:().
I wonder who will be the first to give us all the good info once it is released, I am looking forward to seeing/hearing what this new heater tech is all about...no aluminium would be a nice change for S&B.

Petetbay

Yes, I think making a new thread is best given the lack of any real info so far. Future FCers don't need to read through all the bickering.:disgust:

:peace:
I was just about going to suggest the same, this is a waste of space and if people want to debate take it outside the product thread. Glad it’s the 17th.

MoltenTiger

Quite an interesting development for all the wrong reasons IMO

Do you think the plastic fins on the top look a little fragile? I expect the inevitable Venty+ may be more robust.

Also noted that with all that engineering effort into a flat bottom, non-removeable-battery device, that's where the charging port is. How bland and removed from user experience can you get. I guess they will sell an expensive stand as they further themselves towards 'Apple' ideology. They are both well suited to delivering the same thing over and over and proving to be in control of their image through smoke and mirrors and patents. It takes time for minor incremental changes to be injected into the cash cow. Icing on the cake will be if 'Mother Nature' makes an appearance in the keynote. Strange marketing gets results because people just lap it up at face value to a point of mindless defence.

This hits my palate like the MV1 pre-launch. I can only hope to be surprised but it seems easy to read this play out too.

Last edited:
MoltenTiger,

bluepom

Quite an interesting development for all the wrong reasons IMO

Do you think the plastic fins on the top look a little fragile? I expect the inevitable Venty+ may be more robust.

Also all that engineering into a flat bottom, non-removeable-battery device and that's where the charging port is. I guess they will sell an expensive stand as they further themselves towards 'Apple' ideology. They are both well suited to delivering the same thing over and over and proving to be in control of their image through smoke and mirrors and patents. It takes time for minor incremental changes to be injected into the cash cow. Icing on the cake will be if 'Mother Nature' makes an appearance in the keynote. Strange marketing gets results because people just lap it up at face value to a point of mindless defence.

This hits my palate like the MV1 pre-launch. I can only hope to be surprised but it seems easy to read this play out too.
It's tall and thin, mate. I wouldn't trust it standing up, looks like a fart will knock it over.

MoltenTiger

It's tall and thin, mate. I wouldn't trust it standing up, looks like a fart will knock it over.
Haha, but less gusto required than with the Mighty with the melty pick tool rotated in place. That was janky as. The kind of design work that compromises the whole, actually no, that was the fracturing plastic, the Al heater core and overall unimaginative tiredness. What a design language, they've kept to it too! That said when I was at a LAN with my heady torus and Hopper io, I actually thought the Mighty and Iolite in the room looked really good too. They do what they need to and for many that's enough.

But the Venty is made to one up it, and is designed so it can be stood up to free up hands when filling, or storing for eg. similar to the Xmax V3 Pro (guessing that is smaller but quite stable actually). But that also has the charge port inconveniently located on the product base so it has to be laid flat to charge, which isn't a deal breaker but it is ungainly and takes up more space than it seems it should. And there's no magnetic battery door, so you'd have to charge this new S&B unit all the time.

It's a very uninspiring product to me. Compare it to the Zen Pen from over a decade ago. That project I stacked up against the Mighty V1 and I had a brilliant time opting away from S&B. At least the pen form factor was desirable despite it being a big limitation for mass production. Ultra portability hasn't been realised in this industry yet, and it's a big aspect to become familiar with. This thing looks to me much like the iPhones plastered through all the promo footage. Lacklustre and technically disappointing with intense mainstream appeal and ignorance of the tech, plenty of pros and cons to the product, yet the good points are limited and limiting. So they're clearly not good enough, especially for the rude retail price positions.

I feel torn by the excitement of newness and the fatigue of business as usual.

However, I will reserve real judgement until my expectations are tested by real users here. Real users here have already eaten the beans required to put this thing through its paces.

I feel safe in assuming it's just going to be more of the same. Which is good if you want that. Boost and Super Boost, 21°C increments each, are where I would normally start. The TM2 already has top notch temp stepping which I don't use. So did Grasshopper. The BCG and TM2 combo definitely cast some shadows on a friends recent and overpriced Mighty+ purchase wlth the ring of prepacked capsules. The big Mighty rips I had weren't bad (though they were irritating to the throat) but there is a clear winner, so much so that I am quite interested to see how much they have closed the gap here. If Venty is somehow instant on and super powerful on demand, well, that would be sweet, yet I don't think it could be better than TM2 unless the form factor outdoes a Hopper io. A properly powerful vape has no qualms about sipping or ripping, or long or short tokes. That distinction surrounds lesser hardware. In this price bracket it shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom