United Machining Stainless Steel Grinder

Drug

Oh man. I just picked up a herb ripper a couple of weeks ago, but the United Machining one was my first choice because of materials used (should be ss 316 as mentioned above). Herb ripper is mini, so probably weighs less, which is a pro for me for on the go use, but all my digital scales' batteries are dead lol so can't be certain.

It's gonna be pretty hard to pass on pre-ordering one of these, though the price with shipping to Europe and import duties is gonna be high. Timing also couldn't be better, with two Dynavap IH's opening pre-orders next week as well, and I want to get my hands at least one of them. The hole in my hand is drooling over it all.

I'm waiting on the info they gave over Instagram that sounds like the grind will be adjustable. The description on the site still mentions a fine grind.

Yeah that's gonna be interesting to see. On insta he mentioned there was gonna be an option for coarse as well. This would make it easier for me to make a pre-order, as my herb ripper grinds rather finely and I appreciate a coarse grind as well.

The United Machining Grinder is SS316 if anyone is wondering, I don't remember seeing that recently.

Has this been confirmed for the upcoming release as well? Or are you assuming the same grade was used (which seems like a reasonable assumption to be made).

Drug,
Reactions: arb

SquirrelMaster

Another delay:

**9/28/20 Update: We are still waiting on a critical accessory to get back from anodizing to take completed pictures and begin the pre-order. We will then be shipping them out as we assemble. There will be a one week Pre-Order sale price of $115.**
I was just checking the site yesterday and I was hoping I didn't miss the preorder sale. I'm still eagerly awaiting news on the new grind feature they were talking about.

ॐNoodles

Another delay:

**9/28/20 Update: We are still waiting on a critical accessory to get back from anodizing to take completed pictures and begin the pre-order. We will then be shipping them out as we assemble. There will be a one week Pre-Order sale price of $115.**

I’ve got some mixed feelings now... anodizing is for aluminum parts, not for stainless.
Their first grinder mentioned was made of 100% SS316 (med-grade) but now the site doest mention exact material, only that’s it’s 100% stainless steel. but now even that isn’t certain. Am I too petty to expect the same material quality as the first grinder? why mentioning it's 100% stainless while it isn't?

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

I’ve got some mixed feelings now... anodizing is for aluminum parts, not for stainless.
Their first grinder mentioned was made of 100% SS316 (med-grade) but now the site doest mention exact material, only that’s it’s 100% stainless steel. but now even that isn’t certain. Am I too petty to expect the same quality as the first grinder?
They posted a picture of the part on their Instagram feed but not exact details. A reply from them to one of the comments said it's aluminum but not part of the grinding process. http://instagr.am/p/CF2FhuXpAwZ/

Drug

Pre-order is live: https://www.unitedmachining.us/products/united-stainless-steel-herb-grinder

"Includes optional Fine Grind screen which is made from anodized aluminum but DOES NOT come in contact with the herb as it is ground. It simply restricts the through hole size causing the herb to be further ground before pushing through."

UnitedGrinderTeeth_1600x1056.jpg

SquirrelMaster

Pre-order is live: https://www.unitedmachining.us/products/united-stainless-steel-herb-grinder

"Includes optional Fine Grind screen which is made from anodized aluminum but DOES NOT come in contact with the herb as it is ground. It simply restricts the through hole size causing the herb to be further ground before pushing through."

UnitedGrinderTeeth_1600x1056.jpg

You are on point @Drug I just noticed it went live as well.

So the anodized aluminum piece is an insert to maintain a find grind, I get it know. On the one hand I'm not a fan of the plate because I wonder how much trichrome goodness is going to get wedged under that piece. In use that could be different but those little crystals seem to make their way into the smallest spaces. On the other hand I'm not usually one to use a fine grind so I would most likely pop the plate out anyways.

The teeth orientation looks pretty funky, those long teeth look like they are ready to shred some flower. I imagine they're an improvement on the previous design which I never used and I don't recall what users opinions were.

Now with the removable kief I wonder if it's a straight shoot down when the screen is taken out. Most 4 piece grinders have an extra ridge or channel with the screen removed which becomes a good hiding spot for trichromes unless you brush the device out.

I have more questions I'm sure and I'm asking everything over IG so I'll update with answers.

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
I’m on the fence man, looks almost too funky for me. And the 2.5” might be a little big/heavy for me in the stainless steel
might do the 2” herb ripper instead.

whatitdew,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
You are on point @Drug I just noticed it went live as well.

So the anodized aluminum piece is an insert to maintain a find grind, I get it know. On the one hand I'm not a fan of the plate because I wonder how much trichrome goodness is going to get wedged under that piece. In use that could be different but those little crystals seem to make their way into the smallest spaces. On the other hand I'm not usually one to use a fine grind so I would most likely pop the plate out anyways.

The teeth orientation looks pretty funky, those long teeth look like they are ready to shred some flower. I imagine they're an improvement on the previous design which I never used and I don't recall what users opinions were.

Now with the removable kief I wonder if it's a straight shoot down when the screen is taken out. Most 4 piece grinders have an extra ridge or channel with the screen removed which becomes a good hiding spot for trichromes unless you brush the device out.

I have more questions I'm sure and I'm asking everything over IG so I'll update with answers.

Thanks dude, anxiously awaiting those answers... And thank you @Drug for the update! I suppose I am just looking for a reason not to buy this lol

I actually look forward to the larger size, makes it more different than what I have, also it has that different style of grinding where the top piece fits around the lower piece instead of the reverse, if you know what I mean? Like the opposite of a BCG and SCS style...

Agreed on the funky teeth, no idea what it was like before, I think the top part was like the bottom part? It looks like a pretty effective design at least... But yeah I also don't think I would need that little fine plate, especially with the crevices, because you can just grind upside down for truly fine grind regardless? That is always my experience (and yeah boo kief filter)

Last edited:

Drug

I decided to pre-order one. Guessing from the order number there were over 30 order placed already. I just couldn't resist. Since I started doing some research on grinders this was the one that stood out. And full priced is gonna be hard to justify with shipping and probably an import fee upon delivery. I paid 122€ to have it shipped to EU. It looks like a monster with those teeth. The coarse grind and larger size should complement my herb ripper mini nicely. I'll be sure to post some shots and comments once it's in.

SquirrelMaster

Here are some answers to my above questions from their IG. More photos will be coming as well if you follow them on IG. I don't know if @UnitedMike is still active here.

-"There is a step that the kief screen sits on so kief has a seperate chamber to collect in. The screen is optional so it can be removed when not wanted."

-"The fine grind plate has holes slightly smaller than the original grinder so without it you're looking at a coarser grind which was requested many times."

I'm on the fence. Without resulting grind pictures I know I shouldn't jump the gun but I really want another SS grinder and the pre-order price is really good. I'm sure the grind will be what I'm looking for if they added the plate to offer both a coarser and fine grind.

Edited.

Last edited:

Drug

-"There is a step that the kief screen sits on so kief has a seperate chamber to collect in. The screen is optional so it can be removed when not wanted."

This mean the screen can be removed without leaving a prone-to-clogginess opening?

In one of the images it seems connected to some kind of blue ring:
UnitedGrinderInside_1600x1920.jpg

Manity

I still love my V1 he made. I sent him an email also with questions and I'm trying to not convince myself to buy this one at 180$ + possible taxes CND after shipping.

SquirrelMaster

This mean the screen can be removed without leaving a prone-to-clogginess opening?

In one of the images it seems connected to some kind of blue ring:
UnitedGrinderInside_1600x1920.jpg
I'm guessing that blue ring comes out with the screen when you lift out the little nub in the middle.

@Manity
I'm in the same Canadian boat, I'm not sure I want to shell out $180 CDN plus potential taxes, fees, etc. that could push it over $200. You gotta pay to play with these SS grinders but at least they'll last a lifetime.

Manity

I'm guessing that blue ring comes out with the screen when you lift out the little nub in the middle.

@Manity
I'm in the same Canadian boat, I'm not sure I want to shell out $180 CDN plus potential taxes, fees, etc. that could push it over $200. You gotta pay to play with these SS grinders but at least they'll last a lifetime.
Originally I paid 122$ CND total for my V1 unit... No taxes owed as I asked him to be discrete when shipping and lower declared value. Will see what he says to my questions. I might buy it because my only complaint was the 2" size of the original and I know it will resell, or my VAS will kick in and I'll just keep both lmao

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
I put my pre-order in, I've been waiting for this to drop all summer! Looks real unique, I was looking for something that stood out and this definitely does that at least as far as appearances go. Very stoked for it to show up and commence testing!

Manity

Welp after his very nice response to my email Dylan has made me spend more money on things I really don't need... Grr I've got the V1 “The Grinder", Brilliant Cut Grinder, Spacecases x 2, Chewy2, lift innovations, and now a V2 The Grinder from United Machining. Plus I don't even use bud that much anymore since I've been squishing rosin. The VAS is real...

@SquirrelMaster

Never really understood the 316 choice for the V1 but appreciated the added quality and hardness ... but it's not like I'm using it in my pool lol plus it makes it that much harder on the machinery. 303 is just fine with the added sulphur for Machining

Last edited:

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
I have to say I'm already real impressed with the customer service. I sent Dylan a question about my order and got a solid response back in about 30 minutes! Hopefully he pops back up here on FC!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Cool I don't know much about the different steel grades so that's good to hear!

I'm also not sure I understand about the kief screen either, since they said there is a step ledge that the screen sits on? But yeah in the picture it seems like maybe not? The question is, if you remove the screen, what does it look like is it flush??

Yeah $115 in the US, for 2.5-in stainless steel grinder without threading, feels like it just might be worthwhile??

Drug

Found this about the 303: "303 is a free-machining grade of 304 stainless steel that contains added sulfur or selenium. The addition of sulfur or selenium increases the machinability. Its composition contains at minimum 17% Chromium, 8% nickel, and 0.15% Sulfur/Selenium. The small addition of sulfur slightly reduces corrosion resistance but increases machineability which is why you will find its use in fasteners, bushings, bearings and other smaller components, these components require more accurate machining specifications due to the required tolerances. While 303 stainless steel still has strong corrosion resistance, for an added boost, 304 stainless steel is recommended."

So a step back from 316 on the previous model. I don't know if the material deterioration by our type of use in a grinder is less of an issue in 316 ss.
Yeah $115 in the US, for 2.5-in stainless steel grinder without threading, feels like it just might be worthwhile??
Free shipping? That's nice. That threadless design is a real seller. If it's your first ss grinder, and as you mentioned you like its size, it's probably a great addition. At least if you get the answers you like to any questions you got.

Top Bottom