Underdog Log Vapes

djonkoman

I think it's perfect weather to start now, the tender seedlings get some nice rain to get started, and hopefully if they're grown up a bit they get some more sun.
this is kumaoni, and garwhali jungli freebies(from the real seed company). my 4th year working with seeds(never with clones) but last year I had a lot of slugtrouble, and no harvest at all. this year I'm late, but hope to still get some nice plants, already messed up a lot of seeds tough(damping off+several experiments with soilmixes after that, settled on commercial seedlingsoil).
2 years ago I started some in july that still finished well(little over a metre, was to compensate for sluglosses), and that was a very early strain(begin september), so eventough it's late you can still start them , but they probably won't get as big anymore.
this year will be a bit more of a challenge tough, previous years I kept within the law with 5 plants in the backyard, but with the rent-companies being difficult I go into the wild this year. I also have some earlier strains, but I wanted to spread harvestdates and this kumaoni seems really interesting, want to try to acclimatise them and also make some crosses to early outdoorstrains
the vegetablegarden is already going nice tough, it's also very nice weather for planting out plants(just planted out a bunch of brocolli a few days ago)
just came back from hanging out at the vegetablegarden, looks really nice now since the borage are in flower(that's the plant in my avatar, that pic is from last year I think). and bees etc flying around the borage, birds chirping in the trees further away

wich strain of seeds did you get btw?
nice creation, seems like the best of both worlds.

djonkoman,
its a little late to start seedlings in the nortern hempisphere no? the days are now getting shorter, your plants wont veg much unless you give them some extra light.

VVPS ordered - I got a Spartan from Aromazap based on SDhaze's advice. Pretty much have my UD sitting around unused for now because it either gets too hot and nearly burns the herb, or not hot enough and barely creates vapor.

It's OK though because I think once the VVPS comes in, I'll be able to have the UD perform exactly at the level I want, and then I can finally take advantage of the monster hits that I know the UD can deliver.

zymos

its a little late to start seedlings in the nortern hempisphere no? the days are now getting shorter, your plants wont veg much unless you give them some extra light.

Later than optimal, but not too late.
I started several seeds last summer a couple days after the Solstice, and still got well over an oz each from plants in 3 gal pots, and about 2.5 oz from ones in 5 gal. buckets. Fwiw, I noticed preflowers around he first week of August, and plants were fully budding by the beginning of September.

If it is a choice between waiting till next years vs. starting late with a decreased yield.....I sure wouldn't wait till next year!

zymos,
mine does that too but to a lesser degree at certain times of the day. most of the day however it is at a great temperature. i may also get that spartan so i can try to smoke some hash with dog. right now im using a hakko and a r1 concentrate bowl however the hakko does not taste like it would when i would use a glass wand, im just sick of using a torch to smoke.

yea 1 oz per plant is better than 0 oz but you should try and start plants by end of may (the beggining if you can) to optimize yield. if you need them short just top them and train them, then you could easily stay within the 5 plant limit and get alot more bud

foggy mornings,

djonkoman

it's late, but not too late. early strains will here(53 degree north) still get a little over a metre high when started as seed in july, directly sowed outside. was a sativadominant strain, harvest first half of september, on sandy, supposedly poor soil.
and laterfinishing ones have time to get even a bit bigger.
my first grow I put plants outside after mid june(don't know exactly when, only for sure that it was after mid june), 30 cm or so at planting out, one finished at over 2 metres. saw her size increasing daily at one point. not any fertilizer used, no upgraded soil, just took some grass out and planted plants.

I try to start earlier too, my experience is start may is optimal here. but I didn't have enough time earlier, and then I had problems with damping off so that slowed me down some more this year.
2 years ago I started half april or so, seedlings came up but barely grew, probably due to the cold, end april/begin may they took off. but had a slugwave in june/july, so I was left with 2 females and 1 male, so I started some more in july to get up to 5 again.

p.s. really getting the hang of using the dog with the bong, and starting to really like it.

djonkoman,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
The seeds I got are auto-flowering, so they'll go to bloom almost immediately anyways.

I didn't even know something like these existed until I came across them, but when I learned about them I got curious and figured I'd try them just as an experiment.

I got these. Never heard of it before, but the reviews didn't sound to bad to me.

They sell some seeds at the Hemp Store on the Voorstreek as well now btw Djonko, I suggest you have a look there when you're in the neighborhood, they may have some other stuff you'll like too.

OhTheAgony,
now would be good for autos, whatd u pick up? i like to do autos on the side but cant get enough meds for the whole year from them alone unless i had at least couple hundred plants which im not willing to do right now

foggy mornings,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
There's a link to the ones I've got in my post up there^^ Foggy. Look for the word that's a brighter white ;)

When I use clones I usually grow them in pots, that way I can put them in a closet at night to make them bloom earlier to get the best of our summers. It takes a long time for days to get short around here, but when it does it gets cold quick too.

OhTheAgony,

djonkoman

auto's can still be started, altough I would start auto's earlier too if possible, a lot of auto's are sensitive to mold, so if you start them earlier they finish in summer with optimal sun and not so wet(around here). I was planning on doing some auto's too this year, had a few seeds I wanted to make seeds with to have some more autoseeds for following years to actually yield something from it, I had auto blueberry(didn't germ), auto ak47(messed up by damping off) and thaipan 2.0(only 3 seeds, damping off/drought outside)
definatly going to get the thaipan 2.0 again since it seems really interesting, it's supposed to be a pure thai, but autoflowering, so not derived from lowrider like most autoflowers. also a long flowerer so finishes bigger.
will take a look at the hemp store someday, but doubt I will find seeds I want to buy, the strains I'interested in are mostly a bit less conventional, and I think often seeds are sold way too expensive. like OTA's seeds, I would never pay 24 euro for only 3 seeds(looks like a nice strain tough, one of the newer higher yielding auto's)... 20-30 euro for 10 seeds is about the maximum I'm willing to pay(only reg, not fem), luckily there are plenty of good early outdoorstrains you can get for much less. a lot of the seeds sold here in the netherlands as outdoorstrains are actually a bit too late and more moldsensitive. there are also some good outdoorstrains here tough(like Nieuwe Dame Blanche), but the danes have a lot more different ones, also more that are sativadominant. and since they're aclimatised to denmark they're even a little earlier here in the netherlands.

(the royal dane they have at de os is a wellknown and old danish outdoorstrain)

djonkoman,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
OTA, i really like your stem creation that you made. seems like it would work really well! definitely going to have to try making one of those tonight when im back from my gf's house.

SD, that is some serious white walling you've got going there! :o i had to like both of the posts you had the video linked, its just too good of a video with a UD not to :rockon:

HighlyEducatedScholar,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yeah, it works really well HES, it's all I have used since I put it together today.

Just a tip, if you smear a few drops of water on the glass stem the silicon slides on easily.

Djonko, those seeds were crazy expensive indeed, but I had some store credit left with them and for some reason they send me two packages for the price of one, so I'm still happy :)

The seeds @ Hemp Hûs probably aren't really special, but at least the prices are are better than where I got mine from and you might like one or two species they sell. They also have some vapes there you may have never seen in rl before and some other nice stuff to check out, I just like having a look at what stuff they have every now and then. Last week I bought a really nice sifter box there for only 17,50 for instance. It's on the center counter if you want to check it out, haha.

How do you like vaping through water so far?

OhTheAgony,

AdmiralAlpacha

Speaking of bigger clouds... really love the consistency of lung-busting rips any time of the day with the VVPS.

Here's a 13.4V milk with some nice AK-47
Sorry to go back a few pages but that is some serious fog action!

Oh cool, do you plan on using those this summer?
Also I am going to make one of these, great idea

I missed quiet a bit in my week absence :p

AdmiralAlpacha,

sunsett70

I have some mixed results with the DIY tapered-cut stems myself, somehow the first one I ever made still makes the best connection. I also use a silicon stem that's mated with a 14mm GonG waterpipe adapter and it's less troublesome at first oiw easier to produce good clouds with, but for some reason I have a hard time milking the last bit of vapor out of the bowl with that one. It may be the thinner stream of air that's causing it due to the narrow air path of the adapter.

funny how the UD provides differing vapor output with different silicon stems/adaptors used. I personally prefer the thick stem (diy taper-cut) and noticed that unless i press down the UD stem unto Gong connection of my bubbler with some pressure (to form a proper airtight seal), the vapor will be thinner. this may be good for people who prefer more 'sips' but i prefer thicker hits. When the connection is properly done....clouds!

I do not have plans for a vvps as the stock electricity seems to work fine (in Asia region). As long as the stem/bubbler connection is good, clouds and uniform dark brown abv.

sunsett70,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
The UD really doesn't really do anything different to be honest, it just provides hot air and that's that. It's the airflow of the stems affecting how the herbs are heated.

The more perfect the stems are cut, the less pressure you need to make a good seal. I only managed to cut one really well up to now though, all my other ones need some pressure which usually leads to me not using them eventually.

In hindsight it's just the resistance of the UD and the output of the PSU you use with it that decides how it'll perform, not your power grid. The adapter with the Euro plug that Dave provided only produced little over 11V. This would be enough to power my recent UD that only has a resistance of 19ohms, but my older UD had a 23ohms resistance which means it just wouldn't get hot enough on a mere 11 Volts. A variable PSU is just the perfect tool to make up for the differences per unit and also lets you set it to your own preferred temperatures.

OhTheAgony,

djonkoman

my vvps arrived, the plug not yet tough so I can't use it yet...
so far I really like vaping trough water. after the first messed up hackjob on the stems I found a technique that gives a good seal so both my stems now make a good seal(without pressure).
made a quick sketch. the black is the stem, red is the knife and the blue is the silicone that is cut off.
the first step just makes a ring with a smaller diameter, but you won't gety it cut to the end. then the 2nd step is to create a taper so you can get it in the downstem, the ring with smaller diameter also goes in the downstem but doesn't have the creases/ridges of the taper, and so makes a better seal. I test the seal by putting my finger on top of the stem and sucking on the end pof the downstem, then release my finger on the stem
AgDzS.jpg

djonkoman,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I'm not sure how to picture how you cut it Djonko, can you post a picture of the stem perhaps?

I don't know how to say this in English, so I'm just gonna ask you in dutch; heb je 'm getrapt gesneden misschien?

OhTheAgony,

djonkoman

I'll try to make a pic from the already cut stem.
niet getrapt, de onderkant is schuin(maar creeert van die hoeken waardoor de seal niet goed is), de ring daarboven is alleen wat dunner gemaakt, en door van boven naar beneden te snijden ipv de zijkant, krijg je niet van die sterke richels/hoeken

edit: pic didn't work at all(not clear, the color of the silicone makes it hard to photograph), but I'll try to make it clearer with a sketch from the sideview

now I'm sketching it, it actually looks 'getrapt' but hadn't realised that yet
the first ring is only a little bit thinner, just enough to make it fit within the downstem. the taper at the end is more pronounced
HpmwG.jpg

djonkoman,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Ah, I get it now, thanks :tup:

It seems a bit hard to carve but it looks like it would work well, I'll give it a go tonight.

Did you use a box-cutter (stanleymes)?

OhTheAgony,

djonkoman

no, regular pocketknife. was easy, 2 steps like I said ion my earlier post, first the ring, since the silicone bends you won't get the last bit, but from this last bit you cut the taper when you're done with the ring.
from top to bottom(or bottom to top) of the stem works well for the ring, you won't get a taper that way but less jaggedness between each cut, more like a shape with a lot of dull corners. then the taper from side to side, that way you can get a taper but get stronger-pronounced corners and sometimes creases between cuts

djonkoman,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I'm concerned about some of the things I just read here and why it isn't being addressed?

With my background in electronics and electricity... some pretty disturbing findings, in regards to quality and user safety. Will certainly make me rethink my decision, when it comes time to buy another vape.

Thanks for sharing that thread here BigDaddyVapor. This is rather concerning ... I was under the impression from reading this thread that concerns about materials being used had been addressed to FC's satisfaction, but it appears that isn't the case. I look forward to hearing what Dave has to say about this.

Rename Rev Ye Us,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
I posted a response in Mom of The Goons thread for anyone who wants to follow the saga.

You make it sound like Twilight :rolleyes: , Don't you love drama on such a chill forum... :whoa:
atleast it is in regards to health concerns..

Elluzion,
Top Bottom