Underdog Log Vapes

CurryLeafTreehugger

Now, to boggle the mind even more:

If you go to ATTACH FILE at the bottom of the posting form, you can now choose exactly where in your post to position it AND you have the option of inserting it as a THUMBNAIL instead of those giant pictures that are double the height of my laptop screen LOL!

You can load up all the pics you want via attach file and then place them one by one, its just easier than clicking on the picture thingy plus now you can display it as a thumbnail so your posts are easier to read.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hey Dogs, next refresh should be this coming Friday and should feature some new vapes as well as have a couple burl Alphas that didn't make it onto the site for the last refresh.. like that sweet two-tone Claro piece and the Afzelia burl that I posted a pic of a while back. :cheers:

We'll probably also start discounting (slightly, we got bills to pay and are still replacing lost tools/equipment) pieces that have sat unloved on the site for more than a couple refreshes.. just a heads up for you bargain hunters out there. :cool:

CurryLeafTreehugger

Jobillo, Cocobolo, Bubinga, Black and White Ebony, Vintage Multiwood, Paradise Ca, Citrus Alpha, Jatoba, Red Heart Lost Dog Sc3+. I used to turn wood in high school this is top notch work and smell brings me back to high school.
What's the Cocobolo smell like? I've heard it described as everything from "pleasantly spicy" to "a harsh stench". Also, isn't that hard to turn safely due to the irritation the sawdust causes?

arb

Semi shaved ape
Jobillo, Cocobolo, Bubinga, Black and White Ebony, Vintage Multiwood, Paradise Ca, Citrus Alpha, Jatoba, Red Heart Lost Dog Sc3+. I used to turn wood in high school this is top notch work and smell brings me back to high school.
Every single time Mrs.arb gives me shit about my issues I am gonna show her this post...........thank you.
👍

tom battleboar

Haven't got any just my trusty Walnut

What's the Cocobolo smell like? I've heard it described as everything from "pleasantly spicy" to "a harsh stench". Also, isn't that hard to turn safely due to the irritation the sawdust causes?
Underdog Vaporizer Full Figure Walnut
Underdog Vaporizer Full Figure Walnut
Full Figure Walnut Underdog Vaporizer
Underdog Vaporizer

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::love::cool:

In my experience a lot of these smells are like flavors so people tend to perceive them differently but for me Cocobolo smells pleasantly floral like most of the other Rosewoods.. want me to send you some shavings to sniff? :D

As far as irritation goes it's probably one of the worst ones for general allergic reactivity and like most woods (especially exotics) the more exposure you get to it the more sensitive you become to it.

Fortunately all that is pretty much limited to exposure to the dust though some people can get to where even skin contact can cause a reaction like I get to a few woods now but I'm a stickler for proper PPE and get very little exposure considering the work I do every day. :cheers:

CurryLeafTreehugger

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::love::cool:

In my experience a lot of these smells are like flavors so people tend to perceive them differently but for me Cocobolo smells pleasantly floral like most of the other Rosewoods.. want me to send you some shavings to sniff? :D

As far as irritation goes it's probably one of the worst ones for general allergic reactivity and like most woods (especially exotics) the more exposure you get to it the more sensitive you become to it.

Fortunately all that is pretty much limited to exposure to the dust though some people can get to where even skin contact can cause a reaction like I get to a few woods now but I'm a stickler for proper PPE and get very little exposure considering the work I do every day. :cheers:

Dude, if you hadn't already shipped my new goggies, I'd have taken you up on that in an instant, LOL!

I love scented woods. That wild maple you sent me still smelled like maple right up to the day I discovered it was charring. The tiger maple never had a noticeable scent. My favorite scent of all, bar none, is Sandalwood. I still have some from back when it was merely undeniably expensive (as opposed to now, when it is insanely astronomically out-of-control expensive).

My son, however, thinks it smells like dirt.

:shrug:

CurryLeafTreehugger

So now I know how to do something else posting related and it was too late to go back and fix the old post where I WISH I knew how to do that.

So I'm going to DO IT AGAIN ANYWAY.

My UDs are on their way and are due here by this coming Tuesday evening.

Doot doot doot doot doot dooo dooo-wooo ....

CurryLeafTreehugger

@Ramahs - So like 6 years ago I got ripped off for a Firefly. Then I posted a lot on the Firefly forum trying to get it fixed (never happened, they were uber hard to get hold of). Then I got ripped off for a S&B Plenty.

Then some Good Samaritans took note of my struggles - also very short of funding at the time (including adopting a dog who turned out to have CANCER), which has only recently improved - and sent me, free of charge, an Underdog EconoDog.

I had been looking at MyrtleZaps which were by this time no longer in production and Underdog had pretty much taken over the business from him after their long bout of legal troubles - imagine Tommy Chong levels of attempted entrapment and then Tommy Chong levels of systematic overcharging and police oppression, only directed not at a rich famous guy but ordinary older people. Not to mention subsequent tragedies.

I had no idea what log vapes even were. I wonder if I'd ever have had the nerve to take the leap of faith required had the aforementioned Good Samaritans not just up and sent me, out of the blue, that Econodog. Who I recently inadvertently renamed. SORRY PYEWACKET! I didn't REALLY mean to change your name.

After struggling with the FF and ultimately failing to get it replaced under warranty, I turned to combustion and it was KILLING me, KILLING me I tell you! I don't know how I ever stood it when I was younger. Bong use helped some but I'm not wise in the ways of weed, for all I know I wasn't doing even THAT properly.

The Econodog changed all that for me. And had I never ever tried any other log vape, I'd have been perfectly happy with the Econodog forever or until it quit working, whichever came first.

I have since had an air core and an SC2. I now have an alpha dog and an SC3+ on the way. Each upgrade to the heater core has been incrementally better than the version before.

BUT - I repeat, I was actually NOT being facetious above - I only ever NEEDED ONE Underdog.

I really don't know anything about Woodscents vapes. If you want technical reasons for why one is better than the other, I'm the last person to look to. I'm not sure one IS better than the other - witness the Heat Island vs Underdogs. Different. I don't see one as better than the other. I think they are neck and neck for the top two best handmade log vapes on the market. Maybe Woodscents is up there too, I don't know.

But I think if you are happy with the Woodscents - and you must be, you have 3 - then you will also be happy with the Underdog.

I love my Underdogz, but I only ever NEEDED the one. The fact that I have owned 3 different versions of the heater core and have two more on the way is now about what I want, not what I need. I have a little money to spend after almost 20 years of having very little, and I chose to spend a good portion of it on something that I just WANTED, for a change.

If you want an Underdog and have the money to spend, I don't think you will regret your purchase. Whether or not you'll love your Dog more than your Woodscents? You'll just have to try it and see.

Last edited:

Atomic11

Hi guys!

Three questions about my first dog (an alpha)

One.) Does anyone notice the vape cooling down after a really great hit, and yeildng a baby hit next?
2.) Can I soak the nylon stems in 99% iso? is that safe? thanks.
3.) how many of you are using different stems or orings? the included stems seem to be very inconsistent with avb production, save the nongs and the included ss silicone thingy.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Haven’t noticed much lag between hits, seems fine to me as long as the vape has properly preheated, if I just turned it on and it hasn’t really heat soaked it can have a delayed response.

I’m still struggling a bit with AVB consistency myself, probably my only real nitpick with the alpha that I still haven’t quite figured out if there’s a work around. I’m not sure if it’s the cartridge heater below or what, but I do tend to get a central hotspot. Thought maybe it was the stem sitting inside the heater, but I still get a hot spot with the direct draw nong where the heater sits outside the stem as well. That’s what makes me think perhaps it’s coming from below. @arb posted an alpha nong with a wider bore in the nylon section which I’m wondering if that one pulls air through more evenly?

Atomic11

Haven’t noticed much lag between hits, seems fine to me as long as the vape has properly preheated, if I just turned it on and it hasn’t really heat soaked it can have a delayed response.

I’m still struggling a bit with AVB consistency myself, probably my only real nitpick with the alpha that I still haven’t quite figured out if there’s a work around. I’m not sure if it’s the cartridge heater below or what, but I do tend to get a central hotspot. Thought maybe it was the stem sitting inside the heater, but I still get a hot spot with the direct draw nong where the heater sits outside the stem as well. That’s what makes me think perhaps it’s coming from below. @arb posted an alpha nong with a wider bore in the nylon section which I’m wondering if that one pulls air through more evenly?
to be clear, my unit has been powered on for 4 days now, so its not a lack of preheat causing a delay in hits. very confused on this.

arb

Semi shaved ape

Try the glass gong.......should fix it.
That unit has a prototype core that doesn't need to recover between hits.
Long core for a long.........lolz.
😆
Hi guys!

Three questions about my first dog (an alpha)

One.) Does anyone notice the vape cooling down after a really great hit, and yeildng a baby hit next?
2.) Can I soak the nylon stems in 99% iso? is that safe? thanks.
3.) how many of you are using different stems or orings? the included stems seem to be very inconsistent with avb production, save the nongs and the included ss silicone thingy.
The production core needs about 30 seconds to get back up to speed after a good draw.
Yes on iso but not too long it is nylon.
I prefer the gong and Nong through water so not a lot of help with the dry adapters.

Atomic11

😆

The production core needs about 30 seconds to get back up to speed after a good draw.
Gong is the only one where I am having to wait, good to know I have to wait 30 seconds in between hits. anyone know why they dont ship with longer cores?

arb

Semi shaved ape
😆

Yes on iso but not too long it is nylon.
I prefer the gong and Nong through water so not a lot of help with the dry adapters.
Also, can I soak the nylon in iso?
You can use iso on them no problem but I don't soak overnight because......... it's nylon.
👻

arb,
Top Bottom