Underdog Log Vapes

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Forgive me if this has been answered already, but what are the differences between the different heating elements (SC3, SC3+)? I am highly considering either one of these vapes or an e-nano, and the heating elements seem to be one key difference (stainless steel vs ceramic), so I was just curious.

here ya go

Hey Dogs, hope you're all doing well out there. We're getting tons of questions about vape core options (thanks for that @arb) so I thought I'd update the thread with some basics about the current options. Prices include the vape, full kit (adjustable power supply, 3 stems, etc) and Priority shipping in the USA. International shipping is available to select countries (see website or contact us) for an additional fee.

The SC3 (Standard Core Mk3) is our standard production core and is compatible with stems from our early Standard Cores (Classic, SC1 and SC3). Performance has increased with each generation and this is an excellent option for microdosing with the Nylon Direct Draw, SS Lite and NonGs as well as larger hits with the Glass Direct Draw and GonG stems. If you can allow the vape 10-30 seconds to recover heat between hits this core should have all the power most users need. This core has the most flexibility in wood species and design shapes and is also our lowest price offering with a base price of $255. The price increases with exotic or rare woods and/or particularly complex designs. This is the Underdog we recommend for most users and/or new members of the pack.

The Alpha is a larger core that was originally based on the SC2 and upsized to a larger diameter and higher mass. This design was updated during the early days of our recovery from the Camp Fire (link) with improvements from the SC3. That improved design was then modified based on feedback from our beta testers and the early adopter community into the current not-quite-production version. This latest/modified version has an airpath that's twice the length of previous versions and offers significant increases in performance as a result and doesn't have need of recovery time between hits (for most users). The Alpha uses completely different stems than the Standard Core series of vapes and they are not cross-core compatible. Base price for an off-the-shelf Alpha (when available) is $350. Custom Alphas will run between $400-$500 based on rarity of the wood and complexity of the design.. because of the increased size of the core wood and design options are limited compared to the SC3.

The SC3+ is another not-quite-production yet offering and is an SC3 core that has been modified with the longer style airpath of the Alpha to produce a performance version of the SC3 core. This combines most of the performance of the Alpha with the stem compatibility and design flexibility of the SC3 in a price point that falls between the two. Base price of the SC3+ is $295. This is a good option for power users who want to avoid the cost or different stem ecosystem of the Alpha but want the extra performance kick.

We'll have more information on things as they slowly become standard production items but until then they'll be available as customs and sporadically on the website as off-the-shelf vapes. We weren't planning on releasing these for a while yet but there has been a big demand for info and vapes so we're trying to accelerate the process and also give you all some info to chew on.

:peace: :rockon:

JESUSgotNAILED

Dang it, sorry dude. I have more I'm readying for this coming weekend too.. we didn't end up getting as many finished as I'd hoped for this week.

Wow, I clearly was too intoxicated to order last night! :doh: I woke up feeling like the biggest idiot in the world for missing out but checked again this morning and managed to snag one of those gorgeous SC3+ models :clap::cheers::clap: Can't wait to see it in person and try it out!

Thanks again for all your guys' hard work. Ya'll rock. The whole lot looks great btw

Last edited:

Ripstar

Wow, I clearly was too intoxicated to order last night! :doh: I woke up feeling like the biggest idiot in the world for missing out but checked again this morning and managed to snag one of those gorgeous SC3+ models :clap::cheers::clap: Can't wait to see it in person and try it out!

Thanks again for all your guys' hard work. Ya'll rock. The whole lot looks great btw
Nice, I just did the same thing! Thought I missed all the SC3+

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Awesome, thank you, that clears it up!

Any more information on the stainless steel heating element in general? I know most other vapes use ceramic so i'm intrigued that this has stainless steel. Thinking about things like off-gassing, durability, etc.

Hi vapeit - we decided way back when to use the same stainless cartridge/element in all our vapes so all the current models share the same one.

When I was deciding what kind of elements to use I decided stainless was best since it doesn't have any chance of off-gassing, breaking or getting 'chalky' even after years of use.

I felt ceramics were a little bit of an unknown since you never really know what it's made out of and how but I haven't ever heard of real world issues with it so either way is probably fine.

Our cores are all stainless and they're welded into a solid assembly so it made sense to go with stainless elements and literally weld them to the core.. no chance of movement, rattling or anything like that. They do cost a few bucks more per element but we've found it to be worth it in our usage case. :cheers:

arb

Semi shaved ape
Hi vapeit - we decided way back when to use the same stainless cartridge/element in all our vapes so all the current models share the same one.

When I was deciding what kind of elements to use I decided stainless was best since it doesn't have any chance of off-gassing, breaking or getting 'chalky' even after years of use.

I felt ceramics were a little bit of an unknown since you never really know what it's made out of and how but I haven't ever heard of real world issues with it so either way is probably fine.

Our cores are all stainless and they're welded into a solid assembly so it made sense to go with stainless elements and literally weld them to the core.. no chance of movement, rattling or anything like that. They do cost a few bucks more per element but we've found it to be worth it in our usage case. :cheers:
That batch is stunning all around!
Did you go with the longer or shorter heaters?

arb,
Reactions: Morty

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey Dogs we're working overtime to get all your packages out and headed your way so we'll be a bit behind on catching back up with email and messages.. I should get back to most of you today once I've got the shipping desk cleared but bear with me until then. :peace::love:

Great response.

I just went ahead and ordered one, cannot wait to use it :)

Oh shit! Can't wait!

Soon come... :cool:

That batch is stunning all around!
Did you go with the longer or shorter heaters?

The Standard/Short.. only have a few long ones for testing purposes and whatnot. :tup:

mysterion

The Vaporizer Avenger
Hey Dogs we're working overtime to get all your packages out and headed your way so we'll be a bit behind on catching back up with email and messages.. I should get back to most of you today once I've got the shipping desk cleared but bear with me until then. :peace::love:

Most excellent news... I shall eagerly await your email 😁

arb

Semi shaved ape

Soon come... :cool:

The Standard/Short.. only have a few long ones for testing purposes and whatnot. :tup:
Testes you say............fitting.
I find myself waving Big Wang around and thrusting it at people in random conversations.
The gift that just keeps on giving as it is so much fun to use.......lolz.
So much endless dick jokes and it really brings out the issue in some people.
I like to whisper "That's it,now suck it" for first timers as they raise it to their mouth.........helps break the ice.
😁

Aquanaught

Might be in the market for a ‘Dog soon. I’d be using it mostly for micro dosing / solo use, occasionally with a friend or two. Sounds like a SC3 or SC3+ is the way to go for my use case? Any reason not to go for the SC3+ if it‘s within my budget? Any trade offs as compared to the SC3?

underdog

Manufacturer
Might be in the market for a ‘Dog soon. I’d be using it mostly for micro dosing / solo use, occasionally with a friend or two. Sounds like a SC3 or SC3+ is the way to go for my use case? Any reason not to go for the SC3+ if it‘s within my budget? Any trade offs as compared to the SC3?

No trade offs that I can think of besides the increased price. Performance should be higher across the board in the SC3+ :cool:

underdog

Manufacturer
I'm still a little foggy on what a SC3+ does. Does it get hotter? Or does it allow more flower to be vaped?

It has an airpath that is twice as long as the SC3 so the air has more opportunity to pick up heat. This makes it more powerful for taking bigger/longer rips but it's not hotter or allow more flower to be vaped. :2c: :peace:

TLDR - SC3+ is more efficient at heating air and at retaining temperature during long draws.

NightCall

Hey guys I'm a proud new owner of a figured walnut underdog. I'm quite liking everything about it except for one thing; it's ability to take my herb to a nice dark brown ABV. I've been experimenting the last 3 nights and so far no matter what I tried yields those results. light brown/dark yellow ABV. I'm using the VVPS that was supplied and running it at it's max, 11.8v. What really satisfies my vape experience are the high temps and thoroughly vaped bud.

There is one thing I've tried that I saw suggested way earlier in this thread, and it made me laugh, but it actually worked- that is wrapping a sock around the log. It actually made the abv from the SS stem really dark and crispy, even a little black. It surprised me that it worked! I got pretty ripped, left the room, came back and realized i left it on 11.8 with the sock around it and it was super hot. I could even smell the new log/wood smell as I got close.

So this made me think two things. 1 the sock is trapping too much heat, maybe try something thinner? and 2., ambient temp seems to make a difference with the dog. It is winter time here, the thermostat is set to 65, and probably cooler in the room im using it in.

My question: any tips to get this dog to give me nice dark abv other than raising the thermostat or covering it's beauty with a black sock? would a straight 12v psu make any difference if I already run the vvps at max? thanks.

Last edited:

Lobby

Hey guys I'm a proud new owner of a figured walnut underdog. I'm quite liking everything about it except for one thing; it's ability to take my herb to a nice dark brown ABV. I've been experimenting the last 3 nights and so far no matter what I tried yields the same results. light brown/dark yellow ABV. I'm using the VVPS that was supplied and running it at it's max, 11.8v. What really satisfies my vape experience are the high temps and thoroughly vaped bud.

There is one thing I've tried that I saw suggested way earlier in this thread, and it made me laugh, but it actually worked- that is wrapping a sock around the log. It actually made the abv from the SS stem really dark and crispy, even a little black. It surprised me that it worked! I got pretty ripped, left the room, came back and realized i left it on 11.8 with the sock around it and it was super hot. I could even smell the new log/wood smell as I got close.

So this made me think two things. 1 the sock is trapping too much heat, maybe try something thinner? and 2., ambient temp seems to make a difference with the dog. It is winter time here, the thermostat is set to 65, and probably cooler in the room im using it in.

My question: any tips to get this dog to give me nice dark abv other than raising the thermostat or covering it's beauty with a black sock? would a straight 12v psu make any difference if I already run the vvps at max? thanks.
I haven't tried the sock wrap yet but I have found that slower my draw speed helped to darken the ABV. I also figure if the ABV is lighter it will just make whatever I use if for more potent.

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey Dogs - please do not use the 'wrap the vape' technique.. it's very easy to damage/destroy the vape and cause a fire. People got in the habit of doing this kind of stuff going way back to the Purple Days but it's dangerous and not ok for the Underdog, especially newer models.

@NightCall - I answered your email message a little while ago, let me know if you didn't get the response. :cheers:

sunyata

IG: sunyata.woods
Accessory Maker
I tend to get it with the glass stems that my AVB seems a bit on the greener side evne on full vvps, particularly so with the fancy special glass stem I ordered with my dog which whilst beautiful doesn't seal properly around the base of the heating element because the glass end has a little bit of a lip... so I tend to do use those only if I purposefully seek lower temp.

What impresses me all the more is the SS connection, I figured out a few days that I could connect the nylon SS 14mm adapter to one of those screwdriver looking dab collector glass pieces (see photo; had ordered one a while ago to use with a dynavap but somehow didn't really enjoy it like that). I'm pretty sure I hadn't even ordered that adapter but it was included in free swag, and it just took my dog from amazing to shamazing. I'm not huge on bongs so didn't I'd need the connector, but this setup now is by far my favourite method to use my dog, 11.1v, 2 nice full, instant and super consistent rips, still cool and delicious, and from less than half of a dynyvap bowl of material. Such a good dog.

IMG_20201221_1137341.jpg

Ripstar

The Dog came in today! This thing is made extremely well. The metal and woodwork is beautiful! This is truly an amazing device. I ended up going with the SC3+ in walnut. Let it heat up, and took a nice draw from the custom glass piece. Wow, pulls very easy at 10.7 and the flavor is perfect. Very suprised at how fast I could pull a massive cloud. After the first test, VERY, pleased. Thanks a lot to Underdog! Back to testing.....

Top Bottom