Underdog Log Vapes

darkrom

Great Scott!
The stainless stems will last forever. You just want extra screens for whatever stem you prefer. I have a variable power supply, but I leave it around 12v anyway so I'd try without it first.

Really its my lowest maintence vape. Change screen occasionally. Nothing breaks or wears out, its pretty amazing.

j-bug

Hi I'm thinking of getting one of these, I know they have a long heat up time but do they stay hot while doing hits or even bowls back to back?

Think two or three friends passing, will it stay at temp or would we need to put it down and let it warm up again
I'd say the heat up time for me is fast enough that if I had it unplugged for some reason that I can plug it in when I realize I wanna medicate a bit, grind up some herb, put it in the stem and by then I remember that I like to drink a glass of water when I vape so I go fill up a glass and come back and by the time I'm ready the dog seems to have been ready and waiting for me. I'd say it takes around 10 minutes to heat up to a usable temp and 15-20 to heat up to being pretty warm.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Good, either way they should be interchangeable with the nylon adapters right? Pop out the stainless stem and switch it with the crimp-less one

I believe the SS tips are all crimp-less now, the older ones used a flat screen and the new "crimp-less' a basket screen. Somewhere here Underdog or underdogette stated all the new stems now use Basket screens, The 'crimp' was to help secure the flat screen in place.

I think the only Underdog stems that still use the flat screens are the Old Style Glass and/or silicone stems(edit; both of which i still actually use quite often).

Last edited:

Gandalf

Funny story. After not being active here for several years, I came back to the forum to sell my beautiful 2012 UD (picked up by @nacho257). It hadn't been getting any use at all and I had been using my Solo everyday instead.

But visiting FC immediately brought back my VAS... To think I had been cured before! Nope, all it took was some idle browsing for the cravings to return. Once I found out that Underdogs now had the option of using nylon stems, similar to the ones I loved from my PD days, I just had to jump in again.

I purchased a birch air core UD and just received it yesterday. First of all, I have to say that Underdog scores top marks in the customer service department. Really can't say enough about how pleasant the entire experience was. The website is clear and easy to navigate, all of my questions were answered in the videos and comprehensive FAQ, and Dave quickly replied to any inquiries I had both before and after the purchase. Not to mention what a great job they did actually packaging and shipping the UD. A lot of attention to detail and nice little touches, like the careful way each stem was wrapped and labeled.

The UD itself is beautiful - and much smaller than I was expecting! Initially, I had some trouble because I was combusting each time I packed a nylon SS stem. I messaged Dave about this and he responded within minutes with very helpful advice. I thought I was going to need a VVPS, but Dave suggested a dimmer so I ordered that instead because a) it is a lot cheaper and b) I'd like to keep the setup as simple as possible.

The good news is that last night, I tried just adding on the extension cord that comes with the standard kit, and that did the trick! I've used the UD multiple times since then and each time, I'm getting big, satisfying hits with NO combustion at all.

I'm blown away by the efficiency of this thing. I'm using less than HALF the amount I would use in my Arizer, I'm talking just enough to cover the screen of a nylon stem, a sprinkle... and I'm getting massive clouds and very high-quality vapor. I'm also really enjoying the experience of having such a powerful on-demand vape, without needing to wait for anything to heat up and slowly work through a session.

OK, this post is way longer than I was intending it to be when I started, so let me wrap up with a question...

I love the nylon stems I have, but today I read about a crimped version of the same stems. Do these crimped SS stems prevent the screen from moving down past a certain point? If so, are there still any in stock I could purchase?

I accidentally pushed the screen down far into the nylon stems because I used a stirring tool to scrape off the stems after the combustion incidents. I was used to the PD stems where the screen is locked into place and didn't realized these screens moved so easily. One I managed to push back into proper position, but the other I kind of screwed up and ruined the shape of the screen, so I need to order replacements today and potentially a couple of crimped stems.

So these crimped stems, do they lock the screen into place similar to the old PD ones? And do I buy the same formed screens for them?

Last edited:

j-bug

I wonder if plugging it into a power strip instead of directly in the wall would help too?
I can't remember where I saw it exactly, it might have been in the underdog's faq section on their site, but I'm pretty sure they said that only extensions between the wall wart and the dog would effect temp, as the wall wart draws the same amount of power from a wall as from a power strip. I could be just misremembering cause I'm high, but I'm 90% on that.

Cjisohsocool

I can't remember where I saw it exactly, it might have been in the underdog's faq section on their site, but I'm pretty sure they said that only extensions between the wall wart and the dog would effect temp, as the wall wart draws the same amount of power from a wall as from a power strip. I could be just misremembering cause I'm high, but I'm 90% on that.

I just checked, your right. I guess I'll pick up a dimmer from Amazon :/

Cjisohsocool,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
I believe the SS tips are all crimp-less now, the older ones used a flat screen and the new "crimp-less' a basket screen. Somewhere here Underdog or underdogette stated all the new stems now use Basket screens, The 'crimp' was to help secure the flat screen in place.

I think the only Underdog stems that still use the flat screens are the Old Style Glass and/or silicone stems(edit; both of which i still actually use quite often).

Yep, all the SS tips are crimp-less now though we still have a little stock of crimped ones for special orders. The crimp was to hold the flat screens and then we were using it to provide an insert stop for the basket screens until I (somewhat) recently decided to do away with it altogether. Without the crimp the SS tip has a more adjustable size bowl, from micro sized to pretty big. There's enough friction with the basket screen that it usually won't move around in the tip unless pushed with a bit of force.

Damn, another history lesson.. I gotta stop this lol. :haw:

Funny story. After not being active here for several years, I came back to the forum to sell my beautiful 2012 UD (picked up by @nacho257). It hadn't been getting any use at all and I had been using my Solo everyday instead.

But visiting FC immediately brought back my VAS... To think I had been cured before! Nope, all it took was some idle browsing for the cravings to return. Once I found out that Underdogs now had the option of using nylon stems, similar to the ones I loved from my PD days, I just had to jump in again.

I purchased a birch air core UD and just received it yesterday. First of all, I have to say that Underdog scores top marks in the customer service department. Really can't say enough about how pleasant the entire experience was. The website is clear and easy to navigate, all of my questions were answered in the videos and comprehensive FAQ, and Dave quickly replied to any inquiries I had both before and after the purchase. Not to mention what a great job they did actually packaging and shipping the UD. A lot of attention to detail and nice little touches, like the careful way each stem was wrapped and labeled.

The UD itself is beautiful - and much smaller than I was expecting! Initially, I had some trouble because I was combusting each time I packed a nylon SS stem. I messaged Dave about this and he responded within minutes with very helpful advice. I thought I was going to need a VVPS, but Dave suggested a dimmer so I ordered that instead because a) it is a lot cheaper and b) I'd like to keep the setup as simple as possible.

The good news is that last night, I tried just adding on the extension cord that comes with the standard kit, and that did the trick! I've used the UD multiple times since then and each time, I'm getting big, satisfying hits with NO combustion at all.

I'm blown away by the efficiency of this thing. I'm using less than HALF the amount I would use in my Arizer, I'm talking just enough to cover the screen of a nylon stem, a sprinkle... and I'm getting massive clouds and very high-quality vapor. I'm also really enjoying the experience of having such a powerful on-demand vape, without needing to wait for anything to heat up and slowly work through a session.

OK, this post is way longer than I was intending it to be when I started, so let me wrap up with a question...

I love the nylon stems I have, but today I read about a crimped version of the same stems. Do these crimped SS stems prevent the screen from moving down past a certain point? If so, are there still any in stock I could purchase?

I accidentally pushed the screen down far into the nylon stems because I used a stirring tool to scrape off the stems after the combustion incidents. I was used to the PD stems where the screen is locked into place and didn't realized these screens moved so easily. One I managed to push back into proper position, but the other I kind of screwed up and ruined the shape of the screen, so I need to order replacements today and potentially a couple of crimped stems.

So these crimped stems, do they lock the screen into place similar to the old PD ones? And do I buy the same formed screens for them?

Hey Gandalf, welcome back man! Happy to hear you're enjoying your new Pup, quite a bit has changed since your last one I think. :cool:

Thanks for all the props on our customer service, website/videos, packing, etc.. we try really hard to do a good job on this 'little' stuff and really appreciate the appreciation! :wave:

RE: combustion - Haha glad you order a dimmer that will give you a bunch of adjustability. When we were talking about it I didn't realize you weren't using the extension otherwise I would have suggested that first lol. The extension serves a dual purpose, lowering the temp a bit and also acting as a sacrificial piece so if/when cord fatigue takes out a cord it'll be the cheap(er) extension and not the power supply one. :2c:

As far as SS tipped stems go - yeah they're all crimp-less these days but I do have a stash of crimped ones left so we do have some available if you need to pick some up. The crimp-less are more adjustable and will usually stay in place unless pushed around too hard but the crimp does provide a more secure stop for them to rest against. They do use the same formed screens. :peace:

underdog

Manufacturer
@underdog I am making myself a custom accessory and I need a female socket exactly like the one on my Dogs. Can you point me in the right direction?

You mean the power plug on the side of the Dogs?

I've got a couple types of plastic ones and a few metal ones of the really old type left.. send Underdogette a message and we'll mail you a couple - no charge. If you need more than a couple we can sell you some, they're only a $1-$2/ea if memory serves. :peace:

Soooo.. What're you makin? :tup:

Yeah, what he said! ^^^ :brow:

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
In terms of performance, is there any difference between a holiday vape and a non-holiday vape? I assume the holiday vapes are a little simpler in design, easier to produce, and less unique; more like something from a production line.

Would that be a good way for someone with a very low income to introduce himself to Underdog?

I just keep thinking about how similar vaping is to baking pizza. If you want to make a fantastic pizza, you pretty much have to have at least half an inch of hot thermal mass below the pizza while it bakes, which requires turning on your oven an hour before you intend to use it. If you don't have any thermal mass, your pizza might be good, but it most likely won't be fantastic.

The two vapes I own (Aromed, Arizer Air) do not have much thermal mass (or potential for thermal mass). Consequently, I kinda feel like I have two conveyor ovens (industrial strength hair dryers) when I need a deck oven.

j-bug

In terms of performance, is there any difference between a holiday vape and a non-holiday vape? I assume the holiday vapes are a little simpler in design, easier to produce, and less unique; more like something from a production line.

Would that be a good way for someone with a very low income to introduce himself to Underdog?

I just keep thinking about how similar vaping is to baking pizza. If you want to make a fantastic pizza, you pretty much have to have at least half an inch of hot thermal mass below the pizza while it bakes, which requires turning on your oven an hour before you intend to use it. If you don't have any thermal mass, your pizza might be good, but it most likely won't be fantastic.

The two vapes I own (Aromed, Arizer Air) do not have much thermal mass (or potential for thermal mass). Consequently, I kinda feel like I have two conveyor ovens (industrial strength hair dryers) when I need a deck oven.
AFAIk the holiday specials are basically similar to the regular vape specials that occur most of the year and that they are basically a bunch of similar looking vapes that are as close to mass produced as underdog can do

underdog

Manufacturer

Nope, the internals are the same whether they're Holiday models or non and either an Air Core or Standard would make a great first Underdog. If you're looking for a little more thermal mass then you might want to go with the Standard but both have great performance. :2c:

PS> Mmmm... pizza. :freak:

CurryLeafTreehugger

OK so I finally ran out of screens for my glass stems and had to start on the ones for the vinyl stem. (Not literally RAN OUT RAN OUT, but when they get too clogged up, I drop them in a little jar of alcohol until they're all gone and then clean them all at once)

All I can say is, I get a much stronger hit for some bizarre reason.

The downside is that the vapor doesn't cool down nearly as much in these. It's harsher and makes me cough - not from smoke, its not combusting, its just hotter vapor.

There must be some way to get the same effect from a glass stem. I must be doing something wrong. Does anybody have a link to some videos showing packing the various types of stems, hopefully some discussion on grinding a little bit or a lot or NOT grinding at all?

I have noticed when dumping vaped herb out (of the glass stems) that I get some left behind that is kind of soggy, which I usually hit again until it is dry. EG the dry stuff drops out into my ABV jar and there is residue left along the screen that seems dampish. When I hit it again, it dries it out and finishes cooking it. Is that a sign of something wrong? I don't see this so much in the nylon stem, but then the screen for that is teensy so it wouldn't be as noticeable.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
OK so I finally ran out of screens for my glass stems and had to start on the ones for the vinyl stem. (Not literally RAN OUT RAN OUT, but when they get too clogged up, I drop them in a little jar of alcohol until they're all gone and then clean them all at once)

All I can say is, I get a much stronger hit for some bizarre reason.

The downside is that the vapor doesn't cool down nearly as much in these. It's harsher and makes me cough - not from smoke, its not combusting, its just hotter vapor.

There must be some way to get the same effect from a glass stem. I must be doing something wrong. Does anybody have a link to some videos showing packing the various types of stems, hopefully some discussion on grinding a little bit or a lot or NOT grinding at all?

I have noticed when dumping vaped herb out (of the glass stems) that I get some left behind that is kind of soggy, which I usually hit again until it is dry. EG the dry stuff drops out into my ABV jar and there is residue left along the screen that seems dampish. When I hit it again, it dries it out and finishes cooking it. Is that a sign of something wrong? I don't see this so much in the nylon stem, but then the screen for that is teensy so it wouldn't be as noticeable.
The ss tips go inside the heat port which makes the load closer to the heater, resulting in slightly higher temps

Top Bottom