Ultrasonic cleaner recomendation

Gigsabits57

The PBW works well, but seems to leave sticky gunk on the plastic basket. So, I also add a drop of dish soap, and that seems to remove the sticky.

And as RustyOldNail said, it is important to learn your tools. Take the time to research the do's and don'ts. The reason I went with a UC was to get away from 'dangerous' or perhaps 'reactive' chemicals. I did have a moment of thinking how super clean things might get putting alcohol in the UC, but pushed it out of my head as "why risk it? at what benefit?"

Keep it simple. PBW, and a little soap. Multiple runs of 480 seconds, maybe changing the water out once. It's not magic, but it feels like it sometimes.

(I also just cleaned some shower parts, removing the water calcium build up, with just water and soap in the UC. Yes, I could have used vinegar, but again I wanted to limit chemical product)
Very informative, thank you! I'm going to give it a try with my UC. I have only used mine once with just plain tap water. I have PBW and Dawn so will give this a try.

Gigsabits57,
Reactions: lookhigh

wastedpotential

I just used the UC for the Plenty cooling coil. Alcohol was still needed for all the gunk.
Also, I'll use the alcohol for wipe down on any parts that still feel a little sticky.

It's not perfect. Different items need different techniques and solvents.
And we are not talking super fast. The UC only goes for 8 min at a time, and it can take at least 5 runs to be satisfied. And some soaking overnight is useful.

The UC is really useful for sticky grinders, with PBW and Dawn.

wastedpotential,

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I just used the UC for the Plenty cooling coil. Alcohol was still needed for all the gunk.
Also, I'll use the alcohol for wipe down on any parts that still feel a little sticky.

It's not perfect. Different items need different techniques and solvents.
And we are not talking super fast. The UC only goes for 8 min at a time, and it can take at least 5 runs to be satisfied. And some soaking overnight is useful.

The UC is really useful for sticky grinders, with PBW and Dawn.

Thanks for the informative post. I was afraid the oils in a Mighty/Crafty cooling unit would need ISO. I have yet to use my UC for that part, as I’ve been using the QTip technique. At some point I will try it, and start with the less volatile cleaning solutions, and assuming they all fail, I will use the smallest beaker that will hold the CU with 99% ISO, and suspend it in the water (isolating it), with a few drops of Dawn to decrease surface tension, with no lid on UC, and my windows open.

RustyOldNail,

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Thanks for the informative post. I was afraid the oils in a Mighty/Crafty cooling unit would need ISO. I have yet to use my UC for that part, as I’ve been using the QTip technique. At some point I will try it, and start with the less volatile cleaning solutions, and assuming they all fail, I will use the smallest beaker that will hold the CU with 99% ISO, and suspend it in the water (isolating it), with a few drops of Dawn to decrease surface tension, with no lid on UC, and my windows open.
I used ISO in a baggie and then filled tank with hot water and closed it. After 2 480 second runs, my crafty CU’s were rinsed with water and came out SQUEAKY clean. And they were DIRTY. (One needed a 3rd run because I couldn’t even get it apart until one run thru the UC.)

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've been pushing myself to get an ultrasonic cleaner recently.
Anyone have any updated for 2023 recommendations on a good current deal ?

Hippie

Wish I'd bought one 18 months ago, before they went up 50%
I was lusting after 2 Vevor units, and couldn't decide between a 3l or a 6l machine that also had a vinyl cleaning attachment for twice the price of the smaller one, at the time.

I see the new ones have a degas function now.
Is it worth paying extra for one with the degas function?
I thought you could just run it for a while to degas the liquid anyways

RustyOldNail

After buying a cheap Chinese one off Amazon, that went on by itself, and almost caught FIRE, I decided to spend more. Bought one that’s made in USA, directly from SharperTek. A few years ago, this model was then about $250.00. Did a quick google, can be found for less than the current price on the SharperTek site, I’ll post both links. Most buy on price, if that’s the main concern, then you can find a million Chinese knockoffs all over the internet, but good luck with those….

MY MODEL (XPS120-2.5 Liters) at SharperTek:

Same unit, for less:

[link removed]

SPECS:

Ultrasonic Cleaning Tank:
o Industrial Grade Model / Stamina XPS® Series o ActualTankSize:6”x5.25”x6”(LxWxH)
o Tank Material: 14 GG SSTL 304.
o Digital Ultrasonic Timer
o Ultrasonic Power: Best in class SharpSonesTM by SharperTek
o Industrial-Grade Reliable Transducers
o Ultrasonic Frequency: 40 KHz.
o Ultrasonic Frequency is integrated with Sweep Technology! (Provides
uniform and more robust cleaning performance!
o Built In Degas Function. (To expel the trapped gasses in the liquid for the
best results possible.)
o The perfect choice for counter top applications!
o Temperature Controlled Heating for Best Cleaning Performance o Heater System: Designed to maintain cleaning fluid temperature. o Heating will reach 130 Degrees Fahrenheit.
o Overall Dimensions: Approx. 7” x 6” x 12” (L x W x H) o Basket Dimensions: 5.5” x 4.75” x5 ” (L x W x H)
o Actual Working Dimensions: 5” x 4.25” x4 ” (L x W x H) o Power Supply: 110V, 50/60Hz
o Tank Capacity: 2.5 Liters ( .5 Gallons)
o Free Parts Basket o Warranty: 2 Years. o Weight: 10 Lbs.

MORE:

Features:

Industrial Grade Model
Sweep Function
Degas Function
Normal Frequency Function
Digital Temperature Controls
Digital Ultrasonic Timer
Comes with Free Basket
Comes with Free Cover
Comes with Side Handles
Stamina XP® Series
Very Reliable Industrial-Grade Transducer
Warranty: 2 Years
This Product is Designed, Assembled and Serviced in our Pontiac Plant, MI USA
Specifications:
Ultrasonic Frequency: 40,000 Hz
Tank Material: Stainless Steel
Tank Capacity: 2.5 Liter, 2.7 Quarts.
Tank Dimensions in Inches: 6"(L) x 5.25"(W) x 6"(H).
Unit Dimensions in Inches: 7"(L) x 6.43"(W) x 12"(H).
Power Supply AC 100 ~ 120V, 50 / 60Hz
Weight: 6 LB.
Warranty: 2 Years

Returns: 30 Day money back.

Modnote: Edited to remove link to compromised site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Yeah, I'm probably going to go the lower cost route for now. I just can't afford to spend much more than around a hundred bucks.
ANd...it would be a luxury purchase either way. So, I can only justify so much for the extra convenience.

Ramahs,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
but good luck with those….
I'm probably going to go the lower cost route for now
My cheap (about 75 bucks back then) 2.0ltr GT Sonic has been going for years with zero problems (apart from breaking a few dodgy bong percs).
Here is the unit I got (the first one listed),
S053a1f49289a43e68ada91d1c0f107edk.jpg

They also list a newer model further down the options list that has the degas function.
S6921d823edfb42b6a55fb1c0476f75a0J.jpg

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

My cheap (about 75 bucks back then)

That one is now $175.00 US!

I only paid $50 more when I bought my SharpeTech USA unit, but they have gone up. I try to buy products with a “real” UL LAB testing label, but alas most electronics are made in China, and you pay a premium if you can find an American made similar product. Folks can make their own choices based on safety and budget, but you will probably have better luck with these larger metal Chinese models, than the real cheap plastic ones that have minimal power inducers.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
That one is now $175.00 US!
:uhoh:The link for mine (2ltr) says US$96 with free shipping to Oz so gone up a bit and can but can be found cheaper on Ali from other sellers if you want to look but I just linked the official website listing:2c:

LesPlenty,
Reactions: Shrike

Fesob_31

I’ve had the ultrasonic cleaner in the past, cheap stuff, only lasted few months.
I’d like to find a small vertical unit, taller that wide, just for one or few stems at the time.… have you ever seen something like this?!

Fesob_31,
Reactions: Shrike

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I’d like to find a small vertical unit, taller that wide, just for one or few stems at the time.… have you ever seen something like this?!
I fill the inside of a bong with SimpleGreen (with a plug in the joint so I can fill it completely) then sit it in water in the ultrasonic cleaner with the top of the bong out of the water. The ultrasonic waves travel right to the top of the glass piece thru the SimpleGreen so you could do the same with a plastic container that is tall enough for your stems.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Should I be worried about the metal baskets in these units (like the one I posted above) doing any damage vibrating against my glass?
I have a plastic mesh that I cut to interference-fit on the bottom of my unit's wire basket but I only use it with grinders so no metal on metal. I have never considered glass a problem, but I try not to have glass parts touching each other while cleaning.

RustyOldNail

I’ve had the ultrasonic cleaner in the past, cheap stuff, only lasted few months.

The unit I linked in Post #32 (above), is TALL, but not cheap….. it’s industrial strength with quality transducer, made in USA, with proper UL listing….

Fesob_31

I fill the inside of a bong with…
This is what I was doing with my first unit.
I used a tall pill container. Still problematic with bent stems tho.

The unit I linked in Post #32 (above), is TALL, but not cheap….. it’s industrial strength with quality transducer, made in USA, with proper UL listing….

That one is high quality for sure. I could be happy with a smaller unit, as long as it can last and don’t have to trow it away every other month… when my previous unit died it was a bit scary, did not catch fire just a strange pop noise and smell, but I think I was lucky.

I bet I’ve found something tall but with a small footprint around in the past but I can’t find it anymore. This is almost tall enough, i used to turn the stem upside down for a second run anyway so...

Fesob_31,
Reactions: LesPlenty

RustyOldNail

Edit: I'll just return the fuckin' thing if it's a piece of shit.. free returns... I don't give a shit, fuck 'em!

Since you PM’d me, I’ll post my response here as well for others ….

I WROTE:

“Well, I can’t read Chinese, and after my first inexpensive UC, Amazon Chinese model that was electrically defective, I decided to buy a much more expensive US made UC, as I’m paranoid of fires, especially from foreign products that don’t have to conform to ANY safety standards, like “UL” listings, which cost the manufacturer some money. I originally bought it to help speed steep my homemade ECig juices.

I have yet to find a need to use one with any of my vape devices, more work then necessary in my opinion, and they can have destructive properties if not understood and used properly. So I couldn’t comment on your item, though if you tell me exactly what you plan on using an UC for, perhaps I could advise you better?”

RustyOldNail,
Reactions: Bologna

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
I have a 6.5 liter one of these coming in 7 days... anyone know if it's any good? Thanks!:

Edit: I'll just return the fuckin' thing if it's a piece of shit.. free returns... I don't give a shit, fuck 'em!
So this came in a couple weeks ago and I finally got around to testing it.... I mixed about 5.5 liters of distilled water with about three 8oz cups of full strength Simple Green and turned it up to 60C and ran pretty much every piece of glass I own, SiC inserts and pearls etc, and stained silicone whip tubing thru at least one 30 minute cycle... the thing kicks so much ass! Everything came out mint! It got so I was piling shit on top of other shit in the basket, not worrying about stuff touching other stuff too much, no silicone or plastic baggies... NOTHING! Really well made, too, so glad I bought it! Highly recommended!

EDIT: One lil caveat... it will weather or wear painted/baked on labels, much as I figured it would... it softened both the goo roo and dabbing warehouse logos, but that's perfectly FINE! Hope they're completely GONE in a few more cycles...:tup: wOOt!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom