UKers and Skunk

OO

Technical Skeptical
I just finished a drug survey being done by a university in the UK, and I was wondering why it is that people in the UK make a distinction between cannabis herbal, and cannabis skunk.

i make no such distinction, i have access to pretty much all grades, and i don't understand why the people in the UK are making such a fuss over a title of a strain.

OO,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i envy the Europeans for so much but they're subject to the same mis-information we get here...I was asking a veterinarian technician about marijuana toxicity in dogs, and he said, (and I can remember these talking points from TV over the past few years) "well, there are different strains around these days, and some are more dangerous."

i'm guessing they think smell is a way to tell if it's the really powerfull stuff out these days, but in my experience a bad cure can reduce smell quite a bit.

VWFringe,

OO

Technical Skeptical
VWFringe said:
i envy the Europeans for so much but they're subject to the same mis-information we get here...I was asking a veterinarian technician about marijuana toxicity in dogs, and he said, (and I can remember these talking points from TV over the past few years) "well, there are different strains around these days, and some are more dangerous."

i'm guessing they think smell is a way to tell if it's the really powerfull stuff out these days, but in my experience a bad cure can reduce smell quite a bit.
or water curing.

i think its just more hype. because i don't make the distinction.

OO,

fidget

OO said:
I just finished a drug survey being done by a university in the UK, and I was wondering why it is that people in the UK make a distinction between cannabis herbal, and cannabis skunk.

i make no such distinction, i have access to pretty much all grades, and i don't understand why the people in the UK are making such a fuss over a title of a strain.
I'm from the UK. I also make no distinction and didn't realise people were even making a "fuss".

fidget,

djonkoman

that's just like all that dank/dro talk in the US... (skunk in the UK is a qualitycategory, it doesn't mean it's the strain skunk)
here in the netherlands we use neither, just the strainname, our government propaganda tough uses the term nederwiet(wich is all weed grown in the netherlands, the media keeps saying nederwiet is so much stronger as imported stuff and far stronger then in the 70's etc, in other words the exact same they say all over the world)

djonkoman,

momatik

I saw a documentary on cannabis made in the UK where they make a distinction between the more powerful (and therefore more dangerous) skunk vs. "normal" weed. They talked about how skunk is more dangerous and people more often have panic attacks and bad experiences with it, and it can even lead to psychosis :/.

It probably got singled out because the smell makes it easy to identify.

momatik,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i actually live in an area where skunks can be smelled year round...it bothers me a bit, like everyone's having fun just out of site and I can't join in.

So, i guess if my "differencing" machine can so easily be swayed, I can't blame others for same. (well, I can, because I'm at the center of the universe, but that's something else...)

But point taken, smell's not really a good way to tell potency, and so this just seems - how'd Michael Jackson say it? "Ignorant"

VWFringe,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Skunk used to be a name people would use for good bud.

Nowadays it's just the media who will bring it up when they're talking about bud being "so much stronger now than it used to be" etc. and how it will cause psychosis as momatik mentioned.

It's easier for them to demonise something with a name like that, especially even in the tone of voice newsreaders will use when discussing it. Also when the media gets their hands on a buzz-word like this that people at home can shake their heads at they tend to overuse it ad infinitum.

wilf789,

sundaddy

Because they are too ignorant to know that skunk is a legitimate strain, and not all cannabis that is strong is skunk.

sundaddy,

nuvap

85% Sativa / 15% Indica
As mentioned by djonkoman and wilf789, the term skunk is normally used in the UK to signify good quality bud rather than any specific strain. The normal usage I hear is something like: whats that new weed like, skunk or commercial?

nuvap,

djonkoman

wilf789 said:
Skunk used to be a name people would use for good bud.

Nowadays it's just the media who will bring it up when they're talking about bud being "so much stronger now than it used to be" etc. and how it will cause psychosis as momatik mentioned.

It's easier for them to demonise something with a name like that, especially even in the tone of voice newsreaders will use when discussing it. Also when the media gets their hands on a buzz-word like this that people at home can shake their heads at they tend to overuse it ad infinitum.

it's been doon before... when the name marijuana was invented
amd now they're doing it all over again with new names

djonkoman,
Top Bottom