little maggie

Where do you get top hats from
You get them from cannabis pro- the link is in his ID.
I'm going to try the top hat when I feel better. But wouldn't it be more effective to use one of the stems designed for it and put the top hat in that? It should fit the tubo without a problem because I use my stems interchangeable between my milaana and tubo.

I just discovered that what I call Ddave's rimmed screens and what others have called elb screens are the same. There can be a lot of confusing language in vaping.

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
Whoa! looks like I helped set off another round of tubo-mania! :science: :ko: thanks for all the replies, let me go through here:

Just wondering if you're using a double screen system. I use one of Ddave's stems that has a screen inserted. They come with that and a rimmed screen. I haven't had a problem with a fine grind when the herb is between those 2 screens. I'm using them with water now along with the whip and the whip inserts into the stem with no problem.

Yes Maggie, I have tried that actually. About a week after starting with my tubo, I got some of DDave's rim-less basket screens, and I think these will probably be the best type of screen to use with the tubo for me. Without the rim, and fitting tight in your stem or elbow, it eliminates the problem of too much heat conduction by the rim or the whole screen falling out. I've been having my best results so far just putting a rimless basket on my elbow, packing the basket (not directly into the tubo glass), and vaping that way, giving a final stir of the elbow contents to finish the load.

By "double screen system" you mean - insert one rimless basket into the stem / elbow, pack your ground flower in there, and cap it off with another screen, with or without rim.

Putting 2 rimless baskets seems to push the flower pocket too high in the stem, especially pushing back the first screen. A rimless basket in the back, and rimmed screen capping it off works a little better, and can get the flower closer to the tubo's inner screen and heat.

So double-screening my bowl definitely is the neatest, most tidy way to pack your tubo, even with the fine grind, hardly no bits fall down into the tubo's glass and screen.

The downside is it seems the vapor is less dense and satisfying. :( It does make a complete, even extraction. IDK why it seems to hit less hard, maybe the flower being farther from the heat source? Maybe the extra screen absorbs too much heat? Maybe I should try to compensate with higher heat...but that kind of scares me. :o :D A full-force tubo at high heat can knock me good. That, and the double-screen packing process is a little more time consuming and meticulous, but it does work....i should probably mess around with more double screens, 10F higher than normal?

Hey maggie, I hope you'll fully recover from your surgery soon. You must really have really been out of it to forget how to change the temp on your tubo. :ko: I had a laser endoscopy a few years ago to reduce all of my sinus, and it was a success except for me getting a bad infection in the outpatient room, making a routine 1 week recovery into the sickest 2 months of my life, 1 week no vaping turns to 2 months!

Hope you've ducked all that BS and going smoother than me. I probably wouldn't reach for the tubo as my first vape to use after surgery, but you're probably stronger than me. :)

@Vape Donkey 650 I think the reason you are complaining is because of bubbler/bong blow back ,which happens due to lack of carb hole,too much water,or just imperfect design,try removing the tubo off the bowl before you finish your draw.
I have removed my screen numerous time for cleaning,i just soak in EtOH. For cleaning i use the vaccum cleaner with a wrapped sock around its tube,cause i dont wanna scratch my tubo or even touch it with that dirty vaccum tube. I do both holes and it is like new :D. The main idea of the screen is to protect the 3 tubes, so particles dont get into the coils,it is no biggie if there is some space between the gong wall and the screen. You dont want to blow canned air into your tubo..,to me it smells like rubber.. and i think there is some lubricant inside to protect the can from corrosion,i tried ones blowing canned air trough a white cloth and it left some black oily spots on it.

Whoa...abysmal...you just blown my tubo's mind....or screen? :o :suspicious: :lol: I really didn't think it was intended by FJ, or a good idea, or practical to remove & re-install the tubo's main screen? That seems hard AF. Any tips to getting that screen in and out? Needle? Angled pick? Even if I get the screen back in, I think it would end up being more ragged and bent around the edges, like muunch said.

I know what you're talking about with the water tool, you can also call it backpressure or backflow on the vapor. This is caused when the user halts their draw on the water tool, the weight of the water that is raised up and bubbling in the perc or the inside of the glass, falling back down to rest, obviously pushes the vapor in the pathway or tube / whip on it's way back down. This pushing back on the vapor can push the finest flower particles through the heater's screen. It also makes a little puff of vapor exit the air holes of the tubo, which looks kind of cool, but it's a little wasteful, and slightly fouls the air intake with vapor condensation, if repeated.

I've been aware of this phenomena on other vapes like my EQ also, it doesn't really bother me. But I have started switching how it use the tubo + a rig by lifting up the elbow adapter out of the slot on my rig when I finish each puff on the tubo. This is better because it lets you inhale your "whole puff" that you just freshly drew from the tubo, without leaving so much in the tube or rig. From puff to puff, this makes for a more consistent flow of vapor, since you're not starting off each new hit by finishing off the leftover vapor from the last one. :doh:

Backpressure and falling bits aside, lifting the elbow to clear the rig seems like a better way to vape with a rig when using an adapter. Not doing it in my video, but I am doing it now. Only problem here, is that the 14mm female on my little rig gets a little sticky and the elbow doesn't always come out right away when I start pulling it. So I take a bigger hit than I intend before I pull the elbow out, or I just have to leave it connected as I stop my puff, with that 'stop-n-go' vape stream until I can pull out the elbow next time....:\

Vaccuum...I'd like to do that with my screen removed. Sock cover, good idea. You must have a pretty small vacuum or attachment for your vac though! The smallest attatchments on my vacuum won't fit in my tubo's 18mm slot. :(

Canned / compressed air: I wanna see what FJ says also, but when you use a large, industrial grade co2 canisters, I don't believe there to be substantial amount of lubricant or oil in the bottle. In food grade co2, there is none. I've never seen oil deposited on stuff by spraying it with co2 at work, but the rapid cooling expansion of the gas can cause some water condensation to collect on whatever you spray, so if I do this, I will just hold the tubo a few inches back from the co2 nozzle so it doesn't get wet :shrug:

yeh no combustion on those draws just charring , you can tell when you combust as the smoke turns yellow and you are hit with a the pure ass taste of smoke.

Ii would agree that the one of the downsides of this unit is the sealed nature of it, if it had a hinge on one of the heaters surrounds that let you disassemble and clean, although then funky would have to deal with a load of tubos broken by their inexperienced owners, my internal glass is starting to turn golden from using it upside down on the rig. wonder what the inside of my mighty looks like after 2 years a slave.

was fucking about with some evo baskets, wasnt too fun.. if your going to use them they definitely increase the temp

off to clean my stuff...

Ahh luke...fail. :( The hit looked milky again, but near the end of your hit, when you clear out the rig after removing the tubo, you can see the herb in the glass adapter sparking up and flaring from your draw. :bang: What caused that? Screen fell out of place or got too close to the heater? Or it just holds more heat? So the evo basket is a different thing from "ELB"s (easy load basket?) Maggie saying the ELB is the same thing as the DDave rim-less screen now...getting confused here haha :p

About the tubo being closed, and not being hinged...yeah it would be nice for guys like us that want to clean the insides of our vapes. But it would surely result in many more tubos being knocked-out of action by careless owners messing with the contact on the wires and heater, loosening the 510 connector, breaking more glass, it would be a nightmare for @funkyjunky for sure, so I know why he made it a sealed unit...but better access to that glass would be nice....

Last edited:

Vape Donkey 650

Hey...maggie got in between my excessively long posts so I'm not back-to-back. :D It was over 10k characters anyways.... :\

My internal glass is good, probably due to the fact I *always* use an elb lid now...

my stems however... are a completely different story.

WhN45G4.jpg

kKj911F.jpg

I'm tempted to heat the glass enough to coax the oil out and dab it but I'll probably just make some stem milk or something.

Looks to be way too much in there to wash away.

Wonder how terrible of an idea it'd be to poke around with a qtip or something after removing the internal screen

muunch...your stem reclaim looks so.... muunchable? :luv: :nod: I normally don't trip off reclaiming all of my reclaim, but I do make some effort to reclaim the very best of my condensation, like from well-used volcano solid valve internals, crafty cooling units, etc. Stuff that has very little plant bits and dust, and is almost entirely just oil and resin. That looks like what you have here, especially around the donut bulge on the bent stem and on the tips of the DDave cooler. The cooler looks tough to recover, but for the bent stem, I'd try gently heating it, with another blowing convection vape, or a modest flame? Gently heat it and let it drip onto a silicon container, and save to dab. :tup:

Stem milk? Are you saying you can drop a reclaim-soaked glass piece into a dish of milk, and boil it on the stove, and just the little bit of milk fat and lactose, perhaps, is enough to strip off the thc and infuse it into a kushy milk beverage? For real? wow...:mental:

I'd probably not try to poke around with a q-tip, not until after I got all the reclaim I can easily grab for dabbing and then I'm ready to clean it. Maybe q-tips for the very last, inaccessible drops to vape as a cotton swab on a convection vape? For maximum reclaiming only, but dabbing that stuff looks like more fun. :2c:

@Vape Donkey 650 - right on, man...live it up with that thing! Now just move on up to whole nugs and forget the days of bits in your vapes. Fuck grinding!

Hell yea, the tubo is not letting me down, it is motivating me to vape flowers a little more and dab a little less :brow: Much credit to early tubo adopters like you for helping me to convince myself to buy this little "gem"

Now the whole nug vape method...this has never really worked well for me on any vape I've tried. The conventional wisdom is that grinding makes for better extractions by increasing the surface area of your herb that hot air or conduction can interact with it, so I favor a fine grind short of pulverization.

But hey...new vape, let's try something new with a whole nug load. I put a ~100mg size nug into the rimless basket on my elbow that leads to my rig, just squished it in the elbow lightly, warmed up to my typical 365-370, using as normal. It took longer to start yielding clouds, and the vapor stream was more meager and wispy than usual, pretty much what I expected. :( I increased up to 380, 390, those temps normally would hurt me with ground flowers, so mid-session, I gently broke open the partially vaped nug to finish the load, and the vapor stream opened up a little more after this, but overall, a slower, less satisfying extraction.

4Dg1zy0.jpg

Here's that little ~0.1g lightly packed into my basket. I already had puffed it to near completion, but then I "cracked it open" with the stir tool before I put the elbow back in

wXvrYTX.jpg

And here it is done. Those two larger nodules in the middle, when crushed open after this, still had some light goodness untouched by convection inside of them. :( But stubbornly putting this re-ground ABV back in the tubo yielded the lightest cloud, unworthy of the final effort.

Am I doing something wrong with the whole nug load method? Do I need to try higher starting temps, or a bigger nug than 100mg size? Do I need to huff super hard on a whole nug? B/c I usually sip and puff casually unless I'm trying to impress myself :cool: I'm willing to give it another try or 2 b/c loading and grinding is a chore, but this still seems worth the effort right now :shrug:

I just discovered that what I call Ddave's rimmed screens and what others have called elb screens are the same. There can be a lot of confusing language in vaping.

Yea...thought I had it figured out but maybe not? So far, the rim-less DDave screens are the best option for me. These are really the same as the ELBs? I thought those were taller / deeper, and also have a rim still?

DDave's rimless baskets have fine screens that catch most of my fine bits. I was looking at RBT screens which look similar to DDave's rimless, but it appears RBTs have a more coarse mesh that could allow more stuff to pass by?

Ok so I got that important stuff out of the way: let me drop some random tubecetera on you all, pics and commentary, some with reason and some without. Clearing out my tubo media backlog :p

8iNXGvP.jpg

This is my favorite piece to use my tubo with. I haven't tried a couple of my other dab rigs, but I don't like mixing the dabbing and flower reclaim together and the tastes (flower reclaim on glass is much ickier than low temp dab reclaim)

PqiqdW7.jpg

Same thing, flash or no flash on the camera, which is better? I cant decide so you see both :clap:

SYJJU9j.jpg

I also tried using it without the elbow and silicon tube, just straight into the rig with the 18/14mm adapter. It works, for sure, but for some reason I can't explain, I found it to be much more enjoyable through the elbow adapter :shrug: Besides the perceived enjoyability difference, I feel a little nervous sitting the relatively heavy tubo directly into a rig's slot, upside down. I feel like it puts too much strain on the glass slots on both pieces, but that's probably just me being paranoid and over-protective. On a rig like the D-020 with a larger 18mm slot right in the middle, the tubo probably feels more secure, but my D-020-d9 i mostly reserve for dabbing :p

vPSayq5.jpg

The same setup, in use, with some vape stuck in there, because I didn't think to lift the elbow to clear it after each hit when I took this 2 weeks ago, as some divine tribe v3 donuts and box mods stand guard in the background. :|

jcoxBx6.jpg

Here's that same hydratube I posted in my 1st video, with a hydratue stand and 3-way adapter that allows me to vape on it while it sits securely on the stand. I got this stand / adpater for this tube intending it for the EQ, but it hooks up nicely to the tubo as well. Compared to simply putting this hydratube on top of the tubo's joint with an 18/18 adapter, I like the experience much better with the elbow and stand, but I can't really tell you why? :shrug:

7RwMvb5.jpg

And here's the good ol' PPWT sitting on the tubo. (funkyjunky also has 14/18mm adapters for everyone if you weren't aware. don't think it's listed as an option though)

I don't really use this at home much, but it's my preferred way to use the tubo when I'm at friends' houses. I'm not pretentious enough to try to use a much larger hydratube or my elbow adapters on a crowded poker table :lol:

I'm pretty sure another member of team tubo had showed this same pairing earlier, too :hmm:

let us focus on my elbow adapters for a minute

D64mw6z.jpg

As you can see, with my fine grind, my elbow gets dusted up pretty good. But I'd rather this part gets kiefed up with bits first rather than the perc on my rig. Also, you can barely see, in the other end of the elbow, where the silicon tube attaches, I inserted an additional basket screen, so there's a screen one both ends. I was getting alot of dusty bits sucked past my first screen into the silicon tube. A second screen on the other end helped reduce this.

YrqnoSS.jpg

Back side view. Dusty, I told you. These pics are old. I think with the rimless screens now, rather than these rimmed basket screens in this pic, I seem to be getting less particle blow-by on my elbows. But like everything in this post, I don't know why right now ha

YQDhhne.jpg

and i do clean these things regularly, but the reclaim being so sparse and dusty, it just gets washed away.

RWXdnRP.jpg

Last edited:

Krahl

It sounds like where you live you can't just go out and buy 1 to check out. Maybe before buying extra accessories it would be good to make sure yours doesn't need to be sent back. Or maybe you're just more patient than I am.

Yes, I cannot just go out and buy some to test :( . You are correct i should wait

Vape Donkey 650

I'm almost done! That was the best parts and I just wanna show some basket screen packs and ABV pics just for the hell.

fu586EO.jpg

So I dont remember all my "metadata" that I failed to take note of from sessions 1 or 2 weeks ago. :D But I think this was on a nice 365F cruise, and I took a few good puffs to start the session and then peeked at the bowl. Looking good, I think, and the session is just starting. This was a smaller, light pack.

vvKvu1A.jpg

A different session, looking a little more toasty in the middle there. This might have been 370F. And it looks darker mostly because i took many puffs before looking at this. It's mostly done, but I take the stir tool and spill this into the tubo's glass to get a few measley hits after, just to be thorough on the extraction..

I have noted that some of you guys say you're getting even extractions with no stir...I'm not getting that most of the time. Usually if I try to fully vape a bowl, no stirring, it seems I get a little hot spot in the middle. Especially more so if i try to huff on the tubo super hard. A smaller, more lightly packed elbow seems to vape more evenly, no stir, while a more full tight pack seems to benefit from a stir. I guess that makes sense.

3VP85lQ.jpg

Now this one I don't like. Again I forget, might have been 375 or 380. Although not really charred, it seemed overly heated in the middle. I think I may have packed this one down too much to restrict the air flow passing through the flowers, forcing the hot air to seep through fewer, more restricted gaps in the flowers, causing this result?

ckFw1zS.jpg

Intrigued by that darkened elbow, I remembered to inspect and snap a pic of the ABV from the previous picture above. It doesn't look as bad here, spilled into this little cup, but the few darkened areas can be seen.

XktqD63.jpg

Here's one of those rimless baskets I was talking about! Finally a pic that isn't 2 weeks old. :p The bowl in this pic looks overly darkened in this pic, but the ABV actually looked pretty nice and even when I spilled it out, IIRC (no pic for this one)

And finally...some random ABV pics devoid of full context :D

Jjy71O1.jpg

Very nice...should have been in that white cup instead for better contrast, but a very nice extract on this bowl. Probably a 365F cruise.

I didn't mention I use a coffee grinder (covfefe grinder? :D) since I hate how the teeth on hand grinders can get gunked up. Naturally, this results in a little extra kief left in the bottom and sides of the grinder cap at the end when you grind about an eighth at a time. This is one of those end-of-the-grinder-cap, more kiefy, broken down bowls. These tend to hit harder, more cloudy, but naturally blows bits and particles by my screens more also. The ABV looks fine, though. :tup:

5DqlNiU.jpg

6wrnJF5.jpg

One more bowl, less kiefy. Nice job.

gZlD08u.jpg

Same bowl, different angle and light, looks better?

Ok I think I've donked it up enough on the tubo thread for today. I can't help but to do these massive, tldr-type posts when I make these FC dumps haha :bowdown:

All hail the tubo evic!

Chinese technology and Swiss craftmanship combined to bring desktop-like, lung-busting yet well-regulated performance to a very functional and versatile portable! :tup:

Last edited:

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
For anyone wondering, I infused that reclaim into some milk and went to bed at like 6pm and slept for like 12 hours.

cheers.

Also @Vape Donkey 650 - I pack the ground glass joint itself, and that's how I get even ABV. I think everyone else who speaks of "no-stir, even ABV" does the same thing.

I've never used the tubo by packing the rimmed basked itself.

Also yes I call the rimmed bakets, ELB lids interchangeably. I have no idea what the hell they're properly called and my fluid switching of the two has been (in attempt) to reduce any confusion not cause it.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
was fucking about with some evo baskets, wasnt too fun.. if your going to use them they definitely increase the temp

off to clean my stuff...

Oh man... Wow. Thanks for the hilarious video. Gave me a good laugh.. Oh man, that coughing in the end! Hehe... (No offence!) ;):)

For anyone wondering, I infused that reclaim into some milk and went to bed at like 6pm and slept for like 12 hours.
Dude, that's some impressive sleep duration! So when are you gonna drink that milk? :p:razz::lmao:
Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

@Vape Donkey 650 Great write-ups. But DON'T grind that finely. Use medium to coarse grind. This is a full convection device. multiple factors will benefit from that. Try it :)

stickstones

Vapor concierge
nice run @Vape Donkey 650 - way to give it a go!

Using whole nuggets is a different ride that takes some adjusting to. Here's some tips...

- Use the Tubo bowl as intended. When you put a nug in the end of the stem like that it gets too close to the heat source and scorches. Putting it back deeper in the bowl with the elbow screen in place will get you a more even cook.
- I still like to stir the nugs! The Tubo is perfect for this with the included stir stick. Use it to break up the bud after a few hits. Sometimes I'll pull the nugget out and flip it over if it's still got some moisture in it. But basically you want to break it down as you go.
- Breaking it down will homogenize the session a little. What I like to do is take a few hits without a stir, then pull that nugget out, crumble it up and put it back in. But get ready...the next two hits are intense!
- So you still stir/break it up, but this way all the terps and triches are in your bowl instead of left behind in a grinder
- Expectations: - wispy and tastier at first, getting stronger after breaking it up a bit or crumbling it. The session will last longer and have more of a flat curve, as opposed to a ground load that starts hitting after the first half pull but only lasts a few more hits.

It's not for everyone, but I can't go back!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
nice run @Vape Donkey 650 - way to give it a go!

Using whole nuggets is a different ride that takes some adjusting to. Here's some tips...

- Use the Tubo bowl as intended. When you put a nug in the end of the stem like that it gets too close to the heat source and scorches. Putting it back deeper in the bowl with the elbow screen in place will get you a more even cook.
- I still like to stir the nugs! The Tubo is perfect for this with the included stir stick. Use it to break up the bud after a few hits. Sometimes I'll pull the nugget out and flip it over if it's still got some moisture in it. But basically you want to break it down as you go.
- Breaking it down will homogenize the session a little. What I like to do is take a few hits without a stir, then pull that nugget out, crumble it up and put it back in. But get ready...the next two hits are intense!
- So you still stir/break it up, but this way all the terps and triches are in your bowl instead of left behind in a grinder
- Expectations: - wispy and tastier at first, getting stronger after breaking it up a bit or crumbling it. The session will last longer and have more of a flat curve, as opposed to a ground load that starts hitting after the first half pull but only lasts a few more hits.

It's not for everyone, but I can't go back!

I actually did try a tiny nug in a shallow bowl close to the heater like that and it did work pretty fine too! I haven't even tried joint packing yet I think? I don't know why, tend to use more material and heat that way so not quite as comfortable for me maybe...

Top Bottom