muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Draw restriction is too wide-open to see ANY visible vapor when hitting through my water pipe but suuuuper smooth and flavorful hits :haw:

edit:
I still really, really recommend @DDave v3 for this thing btw. I've been using it since I've got myself paranoid about glass particles with that broken joint on my bent stem... but it's amazing. Great flavor. No irritation due to particulate matter. Vapor is really cooled down as well.

Last edited:

little maggie

Draw restriction is too wide-open to see ANY visible vapor when hitting through my water pipe but suuuuper smooth and flavorful hits :haw:

edit:
I still really, really recommend @DDave v3 for this thing btw. I've been using it since I've got myself paranoid about glass particles with that broken joint on my bent stem... but it's amazing. Great flavor. No irritation due to particulate matter. Vapor is really cooled down as well.
What part of v3 are you using? I'm enjoying the new screenless stem but I think you're using a different piece of it. I tried it yesterday with water and it was great. I really like this vape. Unfortunately I shouldn't have tried it yesterday because I need my breathing to improve a bit but I really have to take a break of several days. I am so tempted. I tried an edible for the first time and it was a very unpleasant experience My tubic is going to have a break.

Prolusio

s366828541479040465_p20_i2_w160.jpeg

I could be wrong but I think this is the V3 cooling wand @muunch was referring to. I tried it out and it works great, perfect fit! You have to add a lower screen below the basket one so it'll fill like the other stems the Tubo comes with. But the screen packs @funkyjunky supplies for the Tubo seem to be a perfect fit, and were easy to install. Definitely helps reduce irritation because of the cooling and filtering of particles.. I also feel the restriction of the stem helps me to maintain a consistent draw speed.

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
First impression.........I love it. Excellent results on first attempt, big clouds, excellent taste and multiple hits........

Battery life is non-existent, so I am glad I have a decent arsenal of them.

Really impressed with the craftsmanship as well. I opted for plain beech, and I think it is beautiful.
Feels quite solid in the hand. The screen in my female joint is off a bit, and hard to get to for any adjustment, but do not think it will pose any issues. Some fine particles could get through if they make it out of the bowl.

Excellent in every way. My hat is off to you, @funkyjunky, this is very well done indeed.

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
Well my first battery was killed in a bowl, which is why I said that (3000 Mah). I was hitting it hard though. Using relatively new batteries that are all over 20A discharge, and work excellent in my Milaana (mostly Sony VTC5 from reputable places etc, in good shape).

My second seems to be doing better, but if you ride the button they aren't going to last long. But not too bad.

It's set on 70W.

I did have to remove battery a couple times to reset from getting stuck around 200 degrees as posted above. Seemed like it happened after I got the "over 25 second" warning, not sure. Hope this can be corrected at some point. Just a minor annoyance.

I just put a nice whole nug in, and it blazed right through it. Nice.

Back to testing......gonna be a fun weekend!!

Edit: No issues with my unit getting hot to the touch at all. On the contrary, seems quite cool to me. Turned up resistance to .188 (from .185), and turned up heat to 410F......ok, here's where the fun is!! Now my AVB is nice even dark brown and hits off the chart.....very impressed!

Put it on my water pipe, and had no problem getting massive, visible vapor at 410F.

Worth every second of the wait, and a bunch......

Last edited:

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Hmmm no 70W is way too much! Check the "battery drain" tab of the steam engine:

http://www.steam-engine.org/batt.html?b=LG_18650HE2&mah=2500&c=8

The Samsung 25R and LG HE2/HE4 are only rated for 20A continuous. When they are full (4.2V) and assuming 90% mod efficiency, you are already drawing 18.52A (77W) from it. Going from that point as the battery discharges, you get very soon over it's C rating (20.47A at 3.8V) and it will make the cell sag, which in turn will require even more current to keep outputting the 70W... and down to 3.3V when you are drawing 23.57A!

Using the LG HG2 would be even worse as its real rating is only 18A continuous.

If you want to use your Tubo at full power you need to use 30A cells like the Sony VTC-3 or the LG HB4/HB6 but you will get a crap capacity in return... I'm unsure it's worth it.

My advice: set it to 40W, it's ample enough. You'll just have to wait about 1 extra second before starting to draw and you won't see much difference when it's running.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
3 clicks to enter setup for the current mode. The top line should blink. Then using the +/- buttons (don't have mine at hand) you can select the parameter to alter. If you press the wrong button, it will cycle between the different modes (unless it's setup to only have TC mode enabled), so cycle until you get back to TC mode and use the other button instead.

When the line saying 70W is blinking you can change its value.

Prolusio

I tried as you suggested @KeroZen and my Tubo is not able to maintain temp after lowering the watts, fresh battery. It'll heat up but it can't sustain under use like it used to. I'm not sure it's necessary to adjust the watts; my tubo never outputs 70w or over 20A even during cold start/heavy draws. The max I've seen briefly is ~50-60w @240, and that drops off very quickly. Typically my Tubo reads 14-17A at the high end.

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
hello all!

i dont recommend messing with the settings, they are tested to the extreme without issues.

the device is protecting the battery as it is approaching the circumstances @KeroZen refers to by displaying weak battery and lowering the max power to what is possible for the battery. you can check the source code to see how the algorithm checks the internal resistance of the battery to determine its state. the firmware is set to '30Q' as they are the weakest rated batteries i consider very suitable for the tubo and protects it accordingly. there is no need to decrease the watts as we are not continuously drawing more than 15A (only in the beginning when ramping up to temperature, can be considered a pulse discharge even) and even joyetech themselves recommend 20A rated batteries.
moochs tests (independent battery tester) show as well that the batteries i recommended are well capable to handle 20A continuously.

yes, we are close to the rating of the batteries, but with protection mechanisms in place! what i can see as possible outcome of this is that they might not last as many recharging cycles due to heavy use. they are easily swappable though.

Last edited:

RelaxedNow

I tried as you suggested @KeroZen and my Tubo is not able to maintain temp after lowering the watts, fresh battery. It'll heat up but it can't sustain under use like it used to. I'm not sure it's necessary to adjust the watts; my tubo never outputs 70w or over 20A even during cold start/heavy draws. The max I've seen briefly is ~50-60w @240, and that drops off very quickly. Typically my Tubo reads 14-17A at the high end.

I tried adjusting wattage, with the same result @Prolusio describes. It seems a setting of 70 watts is necessary to maintain temperature. I thought reducing draw strength might help with this, so I tried that for about half of a toke. Unfortunately, I like taking advantage of the unrestricted airflow of the Tubo too much to continue the test.....after a few days with the Tubo, sipping seems boring.

EDIT: NOW I see @funkyjunky's post.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Well it seems there's not much you can do then, spare using a 30A cell (but they are 1500mAh only, you would have a happier cell but if you get the same runtime in practice, what's the point?)

You could try slightly lower maybe, say 60W. But since @funkyjunky finetuned the PID settings for a particular power figure, it's likely to be supoptimal.

Also it's clear that if you reduce the Watts, you'll have to reduce your draw speed. It won't be able to cope as well, especially if you like elephant hits!

little maggie

Now I'm confused about batteries. I'm using batteries from the recommended list- I think samsung 30 or something like that. Is there a different kind of battery or setting I should be using. I've had no problems and as I said didn't even realize there was a cut off. I just kept pushing the button.
I love my milaana but I'm surprised that this is easier to get vapor from than my zion. Which maybe I should bring up in the zion thread but I still have to play with that as well.
I'm on vaping break unfortunately so can't play with it right now.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Can confirm battery life is pretty poor (1 or 2 bowls at absolute Max) but like I said, I have a bunch and don't really care as the results are worth it. I get absolutely baked from a few hits even at low temps. I really dunno what it is. Maybe some psychological honeymoon but that sounds like a load of a shit...

That said, if I were attempting to use this as a "true" and/or my only portable it'd definitely be an issue without a cache of batteries.

Also will note that even passthrough charging causes me to lose battery (albeit at a slightly reduced rate - also only tried my PC so far as a power supply...) So even as a "desktop" batteries COULD be an issue if you have a massive tolerance or just like to puff away like me.

However I can totally make my Milaana last "only" one bowl on a battery if I try and really extract every last bit that's in there... And I feel like the temp stepping I do with this thing is kinda equivalent but less work with the Tubo :tup:

edit: I have 4 hg2s, a vtc5 and a 30q so all good here. tubo for days

Last edited:

RelaxedNow

Can confirm battery life sucks but like I said, I have a bunch and don't really care as the results are worth it. I get absolutely baked from a few hits even at low temps. I really dunno what it is. Maybe some psychological honeymoon but that sounds like a load of a shit...

That said, if I were attempting to use this as a "true" (and/or my only portable) it'd definitely be an issue without a cache of batteries.

Also will note that even passthrough charging causes me to lose battery (albeit at a slightly reduced rate - also only tried my PC so far as a power supply...) So even as a "desktop" batteries COULD be an issue if you have a massive tolerance or just like to puff away like me.

However I can totally make my Milaana last "only" one bowl on a battery if I try and really extract every last bit that's in there... And I feel like the temp stepping I do with this thing is kinda equivalent but less work with the Tubo :tup:

I agree.... sure, I'd like longer battery life, but I never really pictured the Tubo as a true portable. I just don't want to be tethered by a power cord at home, and it's easy enough to keep batteries charged.

I'm not sure where I'll end up on temperature after the honeymoon, but I've been using it at 410 to 420 for the past day, and it's great with the whip. It quickly delivers lots of cool, flavorful vapor, with reasonably accurate (I think) temperature control for medication purposes.

IMO, it provides results, in terms of vapor quality and effect, as close to a Herbalizer as I've seen in a battery-powered vape. Not saying it IS a Herbie, just the closest portable I've used.

One modification I think would be helpful, if possible, would be to the fire button hole. I find it most convenient to position the unit so that I can see the screen, which causes me to press it with a thumb. As it's currently designed, the edges press into my big ol' thumb, which is a bit uncomfortable. Maybe it could be some combination of thinner/wider/tapered on future units. Minor issue though. :)

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I never really pictured the Tubo as a true portable.

Yeah, I'm pretty picky on what I'll bring out of the house, considering where I live. The tubo does not make the cut - and the battery life is not the reason why. Just figured I'd throw in more useless anecdotes.

This thing is just great as it comes. I know all coils are different likely, but finding it interesting that most people are settling around where my resistance was set. I got great results out of the box and haven't felt a need to do much besides turn it on and off and jack up the temp :)

I usually temp step every time... maybe need to change it up...

I go 370>400>420>440 usually, but typically I'll stop after 420. Only if I'm trying to pass out and using thru water will I go for 440 lol

little maggie

So far I haven't had any battery problems. Meaning it's comparable to the milaana which is my other major vape. I have had vapes that have much longer battery life. The tubo lasts 2 sessions- so a couple of days. I do have backup batteries so I don't worry about losing power.
I don't usually take a vape out and about. If I did I'd take the vapcap. Most of the portables are close to the tubo size. I don't know about grasshoppers.

Top Bottom