Tubing for vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Ok, so is the Lowes tubing food grade? Is it safe?

Tstat,

Nycdeisel

You are not likely to find medical/food grade materials at a hardware like store(there may be exceptions though, Idk)

I went looking for it at a few different stores like that and never found anything that was food grade but I cant say about other stores.

If you can, it may be best to order online.

Nycdeisel,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Someone said in another thread that they "shied away from Lowes food grade tubing rated at 275 degrees", so maybe they do sell it. I have one near me so I'll stop in today and see what they have. I'd rather get it that way than waiting for the mail. My tube is gross and I'd love to soak everything today and be nice and clean for the weekend. But, I would never use anything that is not rated for food/medical.

Tstat,

max

Out to lunch
MattyGTwenty3 said:
I don't know this for sure but I've heard using acrylic/plastic tubing with a vaporizer can be dangerous.

Don't know specifics or anything, have just read that high temperature silicone is the safer choice do to the fact that it's well... high temperature.
You heard wrong. Tubing supplied by vape manufacturers is rated food grade or better and is safe for vaporizing. It needs to be 'food grade' but not medical grade. You don't need tubing rated to 500 F or even 200 F. It's not exposed to temps that high. You won't find acrylic tubing. A company developed flexible acrylic back in '04, but it's not cheap, and therefore not used by vape makers. Silicone tubing is used because it has less taste. You can use it for the higher temp ratings, but since those higher temps just aren't there, there really isn't any point to it.

max,

max

Out to lunch
Stu said:
Make sure you get the 5/16" I.D. and not the 1/4" that your unit may have come with (mine did). Whoever decided to go with 1/4" at Arizer was an idiot...it's just too small to get the glass pieces on and off of. 5/16" works much, much better.

:peace:
The more common size for ID (one size up from 1/4") is 3/8", with 1/2" as OD. This is the size that 7th Floor supplies, and it subs just fine for the standard 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD size used by most vape makers.

max,

Nycdeisel

max said:
Stu said:
Make sure you get the 5/16" I.D. and not the 1/4" that your unit may have come with (mine did). Whoever decided to go with 1/4" at Arizer was an idiot...it's just too small to get the glass pieces on and off of. 5/16" works much, much better.

:peace:
The more common size for ID (one size up from 1/4") is 3/8", with 1/2" as OD. This is the size that 7th Floor supplies, and it subs just fine for the standard 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD size used by most vape makers.

It may help to note that 7th Floor wands have the tubing go inside, many other whip vaporizers have teh tubing go around the end of the wand instead of inside it.

That aside, that tubing you speak of from 7th Floor is the only stuff I used.

Silicon would be best but from my experience its very difficult to find in local stores, best go online for that. Its not exactly necessary, but it does cut down on the added taste.

Nycdeisel,

MG23

Relaxin'
max said:
MattyGTwenty3 said:
I don't know this for sure but I've heard using acrylic/plastic tubing with a vaporizer can be dangerous.

Don't know specifics or anything, have just read that high temperature silicone is the safer choice do to the fact that it's well... high temperature.
You heard wrong. Tubing supplied by vape manufacturers is rated food grade or better and is safe for vaporizing. It needs to be 'food grade' but not medical grade. You don't need tubing rated to 500 F or even 200 F. It's not exposed to temps that high. You won't find acrylic tubing. A company developed flexible acrylic back in '04, but it's not cheap, and therefore not used by vape makers. Silicone tubing is used because it has less taste. You can use it for the higher temp ratings, but since those higher temps just aren't there, there really isn't any point to it.

I wasn't referring to the tubing supplied by vape manufacturers, I meant the plastic tubing at lowes. I really doubt it's food grade tubing.

Must've been a little confusion about what I meant caused by the thread merge.

MG23,

max

Out to lunch
No, merging the threads wasn't an issue. I quoted your post and that's what I was responding to. I think the confusion is in the definition of plastic tubing. I don't know if silicone falls under the definition of plastic, but the other kinds of tubing used in whips do. As for tubing from Lowe's, their website lists vinyl (which is a plastic) tubing that's safe to use. Here are descriptions from two different models of Watts tubing. Either would do.

Tubing is manufactured from non-toxic FDA listed material.
Tensile Strength 2550 PSI and can handle a pressure range of 85 to 165 PSI.
Brittle Point neg 42 degrees F
Maximum operating temperature 125 degrees F

Clear vinyl uses first run materials containing only ingredients approved by the FDA for use in food and beverage applications Excellent resistance to acids, alkalis, and many solvents
Handles a wide variety of chemicals, gases, and liquids
Easy to use

http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogD...gId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=vinyl+tubing

max,

MG23

Relaxin'
Not that it matters now, but I meant vinyl tubing not acrylic tubing.

From what I can tell from what you listed lowes tubing would be fine up to 125. Does vapor directly from the vaporizer not reach that?

MG23,

Tuck

I can't find the 275f rated tubing from Lowes now. I saw it last summer. I definitely remember it being food grade. Another place that you might find tubing locally is a home brewing supply store. I ended up ordering from 7th floor though.

Tuck,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I went to Lowes and nothing said "food grade" so I didn't buy anything.

Tstat,
What size and how long of a tube do i get for my IO???? I read it in the iolite thread but cant remember what page it was on.... or where to get the tubing from...
thanks in advance

505streetracer,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
After following max's link, I went to Lowes and picked up some 5/16 Watts clear tubing :)
I am soaking my glass overnight, so I won't be able to try it until tomorrow.

Tstat,
ok cool let me know how it works out so i can go get me some of that tubing. How long do you think the tubing should be for my IO???? Thx

505streetracer,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
I nave no idea about that vaporizer. Mine is three feet I believe.

Tstat,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
505street racer, the tubing for the iolite can be any length you like, it's a small vape that doesn't put out very think vapor, so a long tube isnt really necessary as you can hold it in your hand quite easily, a foot would probably suffice, i haven't seen one with anything longer than that. It's completely up to you!

PhishCactus,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Well, I bought the Lowes Watts tubing. It seems almost identical to what came with the Q. It's is bit stiffer, and I got the 5/16 diameter. There is no taste difference. Since it is difficult to clean the tubing, I like the idea that I can chuck the old tube and get another at Lowes for a couple of bucks.

All my stuff is SO clean right now. I found 91% ISO on sale at Walgreens- 2 for $1.99 :brow:

Tstat,
Thanks for the info. You guys think adding the tube will give me a better hit??
I get pretty decent clouds of smoke now BUT how do i get bigger ones besides buying a new vaporizer. This IO i have know is pretty much my daily casue its my only one.... Anyway thanks again

Check out the new tubing megathread for all your tubing needs!

505streetracer,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom