Trimmings-Pressure Cooker???

olivianewtonjohn

So one of my friends swears by this method for making edibles. He has a PhD in molecular biology or chemistry so pretty technical dude. Anyways he uses coconut oil and vodka in a pressure cooker to extract. Curious what you guys think?

olivianewtonjohn,

MinnBobber

It would seem to have advantages.
Not sure what +psi pressure to use, but let's say 10 lbs.
That raises water boiling point to about 240 F which would
let you extract AND decarboxylate the raw trimmings at the same time--with water.

But, this is coconut oil and vodka so wonder what the temp would be in
the cooker or how you could zero in on the 250 F target to decarb it
and extract.

Enchantre

Oil Painter
As a former home canner, I'd be pretty darned hesitant about using a pressure cooker with alcohol of any kind.

I could certainly see making canna oil in jars in a pressure canner, sure.

MinnBobber

As a former home canner, I'd be pretty darned hesitant about using a pressure cooker with alcohol of any kind.

I could certainly see making canna oil in jars in a pressure canner, sure.

The alcohol is a safety concern....
I'd probably do a base of water in the pressure , like normal.
Then do coconut oil in mason jars with the trim mixed in, with
mason jar lids just loosely screwed on.
That seems more traditional/ safer

MinnBobber

You'd have to have the lids tight, just like when canning, or else it will all boil out into the water.

Remember, I was a Minnesota farm wife for too many years...

I didn't know you were a MN farm wife....Good move, you're WA now , right?
We're still in the mj dark ages here in MN

I'm assuming the boiling point of the coconut oil in the mason jars is much
higher than water and it won't be boiling.... like any oil vs water??
I'll try to find that and edit this post.

1. Coconut Oil 350 F--so wouldn't it be stable in the approx 250 F pressure cooker innards?

Last edited:

olivianewtonjohn

Ok so I actually only have 10g of trim and 55g of stems, I thought it was going to be a bit more. Might have a few g's of ABV to throw in to but nothing major. IDK if thats even any good?

Im thinking about making oil and filling capsules. Going to get a cheap coffee grinder too. Any suggestions on the best extraction and how much oil i should use? Coconut oil even worth the $$$?

You guys are the experts im a n00b at edibles

EDIT:
I was thinking about using the guys method to make the oil and just fill gelatin capsules. But if you guys think it might be dangerous (seemed kind of sketchy to me) then ill try the method below. I think his method only uses like a shot of vodka mixed in with the coconut oil. I will double check tomorrow with him, it has been awhile since he told me.

If not that method ill do this:

http://imgur.com/a/AkGdU

Last edited:
olivianewtonjohn,

olivianewtonjohn

Yeah i confirmed. 1-2 shots vodka, coconut oil, butter. Toss it in pressure cooker with powdered stems, trim, abv.....I think it wouldn't be dangerous but I'm kind of on the fence.

Have about ounce of abv to toss in too

olivianewtonjohn,

olivianewtonjohn

Well guys I ended up making them, I PM'd @MinnBobber and he was very helpful.

Here is what I did:
I blended the stems (jams coffee grinder), then put them in coffee grinder, grinded leaves and abv (separately as well)....put stems and leaves in a mason jar sealed and put it in the oven for 10mins @195 (light decarb), I then added coconut oil to the jar. I put it the jar in my pressure cooker with about 3-4" of water. I also put another empty jar in just to make sure the other one doesnt tip over. I left the ring halfway threaded so it can vent if pressure builds up for some reason.....cooked on high pressure for an hour, I then added abv and shook it up and put back in the pressure cooker for 30mins. I then took it out added half a shot of tequila (what I had around the house) shook the jar and let it sit in the hot pressure cooker for 40mins (not heated)

I used too much oil, over 1000 pills worth but I just made 200 for now. I havent had time to test it but good reports are coming in from my friends.

MinnBobber

I used too much oil, over 1000 pills worth but I just made 200 for now. I havent had time to test it but good reports are coming in from my friends.

Sounds good. Did you strain at all or you'll use everything in the capsules? It seems to be an individual thing as many folks can tolerate "all the material" but for some, the green leafy material is hard on their digestive system.
Since you have so much good oil, you might consider using some for brownies or some type of baked treat....
MinnBobber

MinnBobber,

olivianewtonjohn

Sounds good. Did you strain at all or you'll use everything in the capsules? It seems to be an individual thing as many folks can tolerate "all the material" but for some, the green leafy material is hard on their digestive system.
Since you have so much good oil, you might consider using some for brownies or some type of baked treat....
MinnBobber
Forgot that step, yeah I used a cheesecloth. Initially I wasnt thinking about straining but I was unable to get the stems/leaves into powdered form and definitely had to strain it.

olivianewtonjohn,
Top Bottom