Trader Joe's Pizza has changed my life...

chucku

Charles Urbane
Had their stuffed peppers last night, delicious. The butter chicken is not to be missed. The Way More chocolate chip cookies are some of the best anywhere. They have 1/2 gallon bottles of Arnold Palmer (using organic black tea) that is amazing. Their prices on squeezed orange juice is at least 50% less than anywhere else. The roast beef hash is fantastic. I am upset they no longer carry squeezed Hawaiian pineapple juice. It so reminds me of when I was waiting for a tour of the Dole plant in 1972.

chucku,

rayski

Don't have a Trader Joe's here in western NY, but I can see that they care about what goes into their products by how often their food products are listed with a double-check in Nutrition Action mag. This usually means less bad stuff like sodium, saturated fat and calories, and more good stuff like calcium, fiber and protein.

I've read they also keep their prices down by carrying less items and getting volume discounts from suppliers on what they do stock. They also treat their employees well. My kinda store. Wish I could go to Trader Joe's to replace my carton of fine wine when it's empty.

rayski,

lwien

chucku said:
Trader Joes' is owned by Aldi, the largest grocery chain on earth.

Which makes it even more remarkable being that the stores are run like Mom and Pops.

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
lwien said:
chucku said:

Which makes it even more remarkable being that the stores are run like Mom and Pops.

True but they also have pockets deep enough to private label just about anything they want in sufficient quantities to charge affordable prices.

chucku,

Pappy

shmaporist
lwien said:
chucku said:

But I literally remember Trader Joe -- the dude -- from back in the 80s! Whole Foods is a soup to nuts knockoff.

Pappy,

vapirtoo

Trader joes is the only place that has unsalted pistachios.
Cool vibe, great stuff, my college kid lives off the pre-packed
foods that are easy to cook.

Yo sour, he is in rancho cucamongo!
I have to get a french press and make my own coffee;
I'm glad TJ's has good beans.
I guess i will pick up some frozen pizza as well. :brow:

vapirtoo,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
chucku said:

Actually aren't they owned by two brothers? One owns Aldi and the other Trader Joes. At least that's what I've always heard.

aesthyrian,

rayski

aesthyrian said:
chucku said:

Actually aren't they owned by two brothers? One owns Aldi and the other Trader Joes. At least that's what I've always heard.
It's owned by a trust created by Aldi co-founder Theo Albrech.

rayski,

chucku

Charles Urbane
From Wikipedia.....

The Aldi group operates about 8,210 individual stores worldwide. A new store opens every week in Britain alone.[3]

Aldi Nord is responsible for the markets in Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Spain, Portugal and Denmark. Aldi Sd caters to the markets of the United States, Austria, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Switzerland and Slovenia. Aldi Sd currently is expanding in Switzerland, where the first stores opened in 2005. Hungary, Greece and Poland are on the short list of countries for further expansion, where the first stores opened in 2007.

Whilst Aldi Nord has long renamed its Dutch and Belgian subsidiaries Combi and Lansa to the ALDI Markt/Aldi March brand, Aldi Sd tries to keep a regional appearance. Therefore, Aldi Sd explicitly brands its outlets as Aldi Sd in Germany, Aldi Suisse in Switzerland and Hofer in Austria and Slovenia....

The Albrecht brothers operate Aldi as two parellel, autonomous companies structured so there is no overlap of territories or competition between the two companies yet both companies enjoy significant economies of scale since both are buying from the same suppliers. Since Aldi Sud controls the U.S. market, Trader Joe's is owned by the same entity that owns Aldi Sud (Karl Albrecht).

chucku,

Pappy

shmaporist
From TJ's site...
"In '67, our founder, the original Trader Joe, changed our name (yes, to Trader Joe's) and the way we do business."
I knew the original TJ. That's why they call me Pappy! :lol:

Pappy,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Man.... you people make me jealous!! We have no Trader Joe's here.... and I'd really dig it too :( bummer!!

Enjoy...all sounds like good stuff!

Lo,
Top Bottom