Torches, bangers and carb caps!

lazylathe

Almost there...
Calling all experienced torch based dabbers for your collective knowledge!!

I bought the Divine Tribe V4 with a Sic bucket andbhave been enjoying it immensely. Once set up, it's super easy to use. Problem is consistency using at as sometimes it tastes fantastic and others just meh, same cycle etc...

On impulse and from @biohacker saying that a torch and banger are the way to go, i picked up a cheap quartz banger and carb from a LHS. I went with a thicker base for more heat retention but noticed the inside has a small dimple in the center of the banger. Anyone seen this before?

First hit was a bit cold but tasted amazing and effects are also much stronger I found.

Now the questions of a new convert!

Torch or enail and why is there a difference between the two? I have always thought digital was the way forward but these cold starts are something else.

Banger styles???
Regular, thick base, opaque base, dimpled base, round bottom..
So many choices I do not want to pick something that will not be ideal.

Carb caps, spinners etc, etc...
Insert or terp pearls??

@biohacker @invertedisdead @FlyingLow

Thanks to anyone that can help me and hopefully other member out.

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
I'll weigh in, been dabbing on and off since the dome & ti skillet days.

A carb cap is pretty much a universally good idea, I like a basic directional one with a carb hole. Terp pearls and spinner caps are only necessary if you are dabbing more than enough to coat the bottom of your banger.

For most people that is approaching excessive amounts for one hit, IMO. Again, depends on if efficiency is the goal. I think it is, as well as ease of use and cleaning.

Recently I found the flat-bottom, round interior bangers are easiest to maintain and most reliable for dabbing smaller amounts.

I have a flat bottom lattice EQ banger and a cheap Sneakypete round bottom opaque banger, and while these provide more surface are and are fun and cool, the added effort in cleaning is not worth it in my opinion.

I put one ruby terp pearl in these days. Love the EQ but again I want a plain round/flat bottom for easier maintenance.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I have been enjoying some cold start dabs with the Ispire Wand and have been quite surprised at how good the flavor is...still early honeymoon phase as I still have my SiC Halo ticking over all day due to its ease of maintenance...quartz is just not as easy to keep clean.
I like terp pearls in my bangers (electric) and Halo and my fav carb cap for bangers so far is,
1625414386739.png
It spins the pearls or just air for you.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Cold start dabs are cool for flavor, but a little tedious, I prefer herbs in general, dabbing I prefer the strong one hit wonder of hot start dabs, quick easy tasty with low temp...

So far I like the thermal banger style, because it fits the 30 mm quartz pi bubble cap I got for the Sai+ to use with bottomless banger (a little meh on that, and the cold starts with it, tough loading n cleaning)

Also this is the best torch to buy:

I mean they also have the big shot for $67, but this one is $25 and it's got to be just as good, I've never tried a big shot but I don't understand why I ever would... Especially at their normal $80 price, to each their own lol

Plus a nice DHgate recycler of course!

lazylathe

Almost there...
Cold start dabs are cool for flavor, but a little tedious, I prefer herbs in general, dabbing I prefer the strong one hit wonder of hot start dabs, quick easy tasty with low temp...

So far I like the thermal banger style, because it fits the 30 mm quartz pi bubble cap I got for the Sai+ to use with bottomless banger (a little meh on that, and the cold starts with it, tough loading n cleaning)

Also this is the best torch to buy:

I mean they also have the big shot for $67, but this one is $25 and it's got to be just as good, I've never tried a big shot but I don't understand why I ever would... Especially at their normal $80 price, to each their own lol

Plus a nice DHgate recycler of course!

Still a huge herb guy, will never leave that behind!
I find dabs are better during the day and keep my Herb for night and it feels like the high is stronger mixing extracts and good herb.

Cold starts are a bit tedious since I use such small amounts it takes a few hits and longer cool downs to get medicated. Most likely due to my tiny test banger... The opening is only 15mm, so tiny.

This is also why I am leaning to a digital setup, so it can just be set at my perfect temp and be ready all the time.
I was thinking this and a drop in gemstone insert may be a good option!

Shit Snacks

Still a huge herb guy, will never leave that behind!
I find dabs are better during the day and keep my Herb for night and it feels like the high is stronger mixing extracts and good herb.

Cold starts are a bit tedious since I use such small amounts it takes a few hits and longer cool downs to get medicated. Most likely due to my tiny test banger... The opening is only 15mm, so tiny.

This is also why I am leaning to a digital setup, so it can just be set at my perfect temp and be ready all the time.
I was thinking this and a drop in gemstone insert may be a good option!

Yeah I need to get a tiny one, mine are so big, probably not necessary for the size of my dabs!

Yeah I think for cold start, a larger one is better, like one of the flat opaque bottoms, mostly I see people doing cold start with a lot more material than I would want to use though...

That sounds like a good routine, and yeah I do want to try my own enail, I have minimal experience with a friend's, someday maybe...

I also like the look of this $100 terp timer thing I saw on vgoodiez, you torch the banger and then let it sit above this digital box that tells you what the temperature is at as it cools!

LesPlenty

Company Rep
$100 terp timer
That would pay for an Auber enail controller (US$65, I have this model). :2c:
And a heater to suit your banger from @710Coils for about the same money.

Shit Snacks

That would pay for an Auber enail controller (US$65, I have this model). :2c:
And a heater to suit your banger from @710Coils for about the same money.

The bangers are actually from GooRoo btw but 710coils has the nicest ones for sure!

I still don't feel the pole for the enail yet, with my much more sparing usage... Just more involved than I'm really looking for honestly

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
D cup with sapphire owner. I also have a sequoia with sic and AVS M22 and several bangers and blaze torch etc.

I started with hot hits in banger. With time I came to appreciate the cold start and if using a torch this is all I do now.

But for ease of use and reliable easy hits I use my d cup at PID reading of 515f.

This gives me tasty hits time after time.

And since upgrading to sapphire the taste has improved and cleaning is easy.

Agree with sentiments on small single blast hits are the best and carb cap essential. Terp balls are fun for about an hour IME.....

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Chicken No Name

Thanks for your input!!
I have looked at the NV/CH stuff for years but never jumped into their extract devices.
With all the Ti in the airpath, I would prefer to keep it a full quartz and glass airpath.
Any time I dab off Ti (🤮) I can taste the metal and find it changes the flavor.

I am thinking to have the best of both worlds to pick up a 710 coils set as well as a dedicated cold start banger.
That should cover all bases!

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
I hear you. Different materials for different folks makes a big difference.

With the dcup your not dabbing off ti, its sic or sapphire which makes a massive difference.
But there is ti in the airpath for sure. I don't notice it at all with the dcup. No difference with all glass for me....

But for my vrod I dumped my ti bucket for glass bucket and imo it's night and day. I have 3 glass buckets so I'm never without.

I think your solution sounds great.....

lazylathe

Almost there...
@710Coils

Just placed an order, so please ignore the PM!

I decided to go with a 25mm setup, deep dish, thick bottom banger with axial coil and a Pi carb cap.
Also added some 6mm rubies and a pair of opaque inserts for trying some lower temp dabs.

Really looking forward to getting this all setup and going!

It's a major upgrade from my DTV4 and my $20 LHS banger, although it was what changed my mind about buying a desktop system!

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Torch vs enail is pretty different.
I have to say after some years plugged in, I tend to prefer the torch again these days.
It's just a different dynamic. Quartz is heated more evenly when torched than a coil can provide. I still use my enail for convienance sake, but for ultimate vapor quality I prefer a torched cold start off sapphire.

For live resin I like to put it in cartridges.

lazylathe

Almost there...
Torch vs enail is pretty different.
I have to say after some years plugged in, I tend to prefer the torch again these days.
It's just a different dynamic. Quartz is heated more evenly when torched than a coil can provide. I still use my enail for convienance sake, but for ultimate vapor quality I prefer a torched cold start off sapphire.

For live resin I like to put it in cartridges.
Going with an email for ease and because I have never tried a dedicated setup like this before.

I want to also pick up a dedicated banger for cold starts and a torch, they are sublime!

My concentrates actually taste amazing now! Way better than the DTV4.

MegaMan2k

Def prefer torch+dab-rite over e-nails, any day of the week (I have both 710 coils and E.Ross 4.0 e-nail setup)
Effect and taste is just much better!

Bangers is a whole rabit hole on its own...

I have experience with Evan Shore and Joel Halen.

initially i was complaining about the quality on my Evan Shore banger (120$), but later i learned that i had purchased the model called " Titty Banger " Which is basically a cheaper version, but also worse quality control ( Mine had huge ripples in the floor)

So i moved on to Halen Bangers, i was really happy with the first one i got (30mm, 150$)
However few weeks back i purchased 1 more Halen Banger (30mm, also at 150$)
But the latest one just isnt up to par with the first one, hard to explain but the overall shape of the banger makes it so that the oil ends up on the walls instead of swirling around in the bottom

My conclusion is that Joel Halen has a equally low quality control on his bangers as Evan Shore has on his "Titty Bangers" series
(They are also similarly priced so this is totally fair)

However,
Evan Shore has some different models which is priced abit higher but the quality control is waay higher on these.
So actually today im going to order my first one of these, im going for the "Long Jawn, 25mm" 210$ (after checking them out at a friends place last week.)

Why is quality so important when it comes to quartz bangers? (imo)

The flatness of the dish, no dimples, no weird chips etc, all contribute to the life-span of the banger, if you have any off these issues, your oil will start to get stuck in these ripples, diples, chips, whatever it may be, even if you THINK you absolutely cleaned that fucker, well guess what next time u go heat it up there WILL be tiny tiny particles of oil in those small ripples, dimples, chips, holes, etc.

Over time chazz will start building from these areas untill the day when you can see with ur own eyes the chazz expanding its territory growing like a tumor on ur dish, What used to be a quick process of cleaning will now start to become an annoying tedious process instead.

At this point i dont really care if i have to spend 120 or 220 for a banger, because i know if its actually made properly, it will indeed last me years. Which is not the case for the ones where i decided to "save" 50-70$ That "saving" has actually rather ended up COSTING me in the end :D

another important factor is using "clean" quartz and all that bla bla bla, but you have probably heard this so many times i dont need to tell you about it :D

lazylathe

Almost there...
@MegaMan2k

Thanks for your insights into more expensive quartz!!
I have been doing a lot of research in quartz bangers and have read so much it, most becomes personal conjecture

It has been interesting reading peoples comments on cheap vs expensive quartz with some saying there is no difference. Logically the quality and finish are going to affect performance imo...

For now I have picked up th 710 coils set with some drop in inserts.
I also picked up a 10mm thick round bottom banger from @Sneaky Pete for low temp or for a change from the enail.

I have entered a while new world and there is lots to learn again...
Glad that I have my Herb stuff sorted years ago...🤣

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Great choice going with the 710 coils setup, I did as well. I have just added a quartz insert and SiC insert that I put two SiC pearls in. Really liking it. Next will be either a hybrid banger and/or round bottom banger...and of course I am super intrigued about terp slurpers. I will actually start doing both enail and torch once I get additional banger.

The rabbit hole is deep when it comes to this stuff....calling @Bologna for more insights.

Bologna

(zombie) Woof.
Hi, @CrazyDiamond!

I'm just cleaning up after a nice leisurely cold dropped dab at 420F...:
DD80BC2F-F38C-4965-97C1-43A428FD175F.jpeg
One SiC pearl is fine with a Pi ball cap and SiC insert with this GMO live resin... note the reclaimer doing its thing and the worked banger with Shane's reg coil... works pretty nice... easy cleaning, wide open etc etc... also, whipped out the whip again! Figured why not, I have a couple of racks of breef ribs indirectly cooking low and slow with charcoal... what's the hurry...!?

Something I can help you with...?

Edit: almost done!:
2D4CB66F-3B95-450B-914F-D2B7BB34EB60.jpeg

Sure, why not another dab between racks...? This time it will be Wedding Cake live hash rosin, as a kinda semi-dessert:
F6A562B8-A85C-4FEC-ACF7-58BE6A700242.jpeg
Note the change to beer beer... :razz: :tup:

Last edited:

arb

Semi shaved ape
006.jpg
007.jpg

After a bunch of fucking about we settled here for the plug in desk unit for dabbers.
Stays very consistent at whatever temp you set at and is very simple to use.
The carb cap that comes with it eats ass so we use a flat top UFO type cap from the gate.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
@Bologna I was calling you to add to this thread to help out the OP as you have passed on great information to me. I know I said in another thread that I was trying to avoid the torch...since I have a BigShot torch, I may break it out again after I get some more bangers...won't be immediate, but that's where I'm headed.

I'm not saying inserts are a must, but I'm really liking having to clean a little tiny insert as opposed to the entire banger. I can successfully spin two SiC terp perls in the SiC insert and the v-neck quartz insert.

I can safely say that I've always loved having an enail of some sorts simply for the set and forget. Now if someone comes up with a coil that can heat a terp slurper....just saying, lol

Shit Snacks

Yeah if / when I do try the enail route, I think getting inserts would be the best idea, for keeping things clean easily... Probably the same is true for cold start dabs?? I never have a problem keeping my stuff clean for now, because I'm doing hot start torch dabs, easy to fully clean it while heating for each hit, and a little q-tip swab after a hit helps too ofcourse! My cheap bangers seem great

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
This is my current banger setup and I don’t think I’d ever go more expensive, a sneaky Pete frost bottom banger and twin jet carb cap with 6mm terp pearl. My technique is a little unorthodox and I’m sure most of you will laugh and scoff at my technique but it goes a little something like this. In a cold banger I load my dab as much on top of the pearl as possible smack dab in the middle of the banger, I use a shity honest torch and begin by heating the lower half of the walls of the banger, only briefly heating the bottom in a circular stirring pattern between heating the walls, once the walls are hot I start heating the bottom more, until my dab starts to melt, I hit while continuing to heat the bottom stirring with the torch for my entire hit. So it starts as a cold start and moves more towards a traditional dab. I put the torch down and take another 2-3 hits without heating and it gradually gets more whispy till I’m done ✅ I never scorched my dab unless I heat to much in one spot so I stir pretty fast. Always works and gets me super baked. These days though I’m very happy with my VRod and the banger just sits there, maybe ill revisit it again later.
59A9AEB0-3750-4AFE-8E41-28FC482FF66C.jpeg

lazylathe

Almost there...
@Bad Dog

Thanks for this!!!
I ordered the same banger from @Sneaky Pete ! Just sorting out a cap and will be done!

On my super tiny banger, I use the same tech as you do! No pearl though as banger is tiny!!
Load hit in center of banger, there is a dimple in mine for some reason...
Heat the sides, drop the carbon and slowly heat the bottom in circles until it melts and just starts to bubble.

I use a small bit of paper towel afterwards to clean up any left overs and then a qtip with iso while it is still hot to clean!

Top Bottom