To Ice or Not to Ice - LSV w/ 20" Illadelph

texasrobert

Teh vapor
First of all, to preface, I recently upgraded from my Vapor Bro's to an LSV with a nice 20" Illy to filter/cool. It is a night and day difference - massive yet smooth vapor hits, with the extraordinary highs to accompany everything.

My main concern is the ice chamber - there is room for huge amounts of ice, which I have been taking advantage of. The way I see it, and correct me if I'm wrong, there are several advantages:
-Cooled hits (feels like a breath of fresh air)
-Less irritation on the lungs (due to above)
-Chilled water to vape through

However, I've recently started to see that some on this site prefer vaping through warm water, and actually advocate against using ice to chill the chamber. I'd be interested in hearing anyone with insight on the issue of ice vs. no ice, and if anyone has experience with "ice alternatives" that don't "frost" your throat (even though i'm not entirely sure what this means.)

Thoughts, comments, cussion, discussion...

P.S. Heres the waterpipe in question
http://img31.imageshack.us/i/img20110319210729.jpg/

texasrobert,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Read up on the hot water thread posted by Lwien. From what I have read, its mo bettah than ice (and different!)

AGBeer,
actually, I remember reading somewhere that both ice and very hot water can lead to soar throats. Dont quote me on this though has nothing as ever truly been tried and tested. I would love to find the thread that states this information (somewhere in ask fc) but I'm far too vrip'd right now. Uh, I've heard not to use ice because of a term that was called "frost". I assume its when particles of ice evap and somehow cut the inside of your throat; sounds a little bunk to me however. I could imagine it to be possible however, especially when smoking.

In conclusion lately I have just been using slightly chilled water, it works just fine. Honestly just vaporizing is almost pure enough, but by adding moisture it allows the broncitial system to handle how dry non-filter vapor is. :2c:

biojuggernaut,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Pappy had a thread a while back about a visit with his doctor. IIRC his doctor said that hot water was NOT a good idea. I forget why, but it made sense when I read it.

:peace:

Stu,

Nycdeisel

I never use ice, ever. Even stopped using it while I was smoking bongs, too much ice can burn your throat and its just a pain in the ass overall IMO.

With vaporizing I prefer hot water but I also dont like using straight tap water in my tubes, I would prefer filtered water, so it may also be cold or room temperature.

But if hot expands and cold constricts, then breathing in very cold air may feel 'refreshing' but is more likely constrciting your airways more then expanding them.

Why did you think to use ice anyway? Im just curious....was it too hot? was it irritating you or something? you may just need to take smaller hits...

note: when I say that I prefer hot water, the water I use it just the hottest that my tap can get(which is not insanely hot), and it usually gets some time to cool by the time I take a hit, so its more warm then hot by that time, but regardless warmer then bong water would normally be.

Nycdeisel,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think it was in the Iolite thread where someone posted a tip for stealthy vaping in public; he or she stated that if you blow out the vapor through a straw in a cup filled with ice no vapor would be visible because it condensed instantly, which makes a lot of sense. Shouldn't this alone be a reason for us not to want to mix ice with our precious vapor?

OhTheAgony,

texasrobert

Teh vapor
I tried the system with both warm/hot water (as was suggested) and then with the ice, and still vastly prefer the ice setup. Throwing huge rips of vapor that are ice cold (and for me felt better than the warm rips,) so i'm probably gonna stick with that setup.

texasrobert,

Nosferatu

Maybe its cuz the ice is also making the vapor path smaller, no offence, but thats a big bong, and milking that and taking it in one breath would be way to big a hit to me at least. I keep my bubbler I use with my LSV in the fridge and its so nice, cold glass and cold water. But I dont like ice or really hot water, it iritates me. I like it cold, room temp, or warm. And according to Pappys doctor thats your best bet, room temp to warm, i think when you can see steam in the bong its too hot. But no one really knows officially because once again vaporizing marijuana gets basically no room in science.

Nosferatu,

lwien

^^ Yup. My go to method. Hot water vape hits (no hotter than hot tap water) with my PD and a HVY mini-beaker is my favorite way to vape.

lwien,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
This is interesting. I've been using cold water and one ice cube in the ice catcher in my bong and I find it immensely satisfying; so much so that I keep the bong in the refrigerator before using time. As I think about it, in Ayurveda it's recommended to drink warm water in the morning, not cold. Also normal Vicks vaporizers use warm water mist for healing, not cold. Question - why do you prefer hot water? I will have to give this opposite approach a try. Lwien, can you post an image of your mini-beaker? Just learning about glass and I'm totally into it.

**edit**

no need to post a pic, I'm looking at the HVY mini-beaker on youtube in action.

jeffp,

Nycdeisel

IMO, or IME, I am not looking to actually cool down the vapor, more to filter particulates and to moisten the dry vapor. Warm/hot water does a better job of this as far as I have seen(maybe not filtering better, but feels much more moist then with cold water.

This has to do with steam water vapor I think, because I can see the tube fog up when I inhale from a bong with warm or hot water, even without taking a hit, and I feel moist air hitting my throat.

Nycdeisel,

texasrobert

Teh vapor
Update:
After experimenting with warm and room temp water for a few weeks, ive been converted. So much more enjoyable than the iced vapor. Although the large tube is not optimal...due to its large capacity for ice... will either upgrade to a LW 15 arm bub or wait for the cloud.

texasrobert,
Top Bottom