Tinymight2 Stainless Steel Custom Body

Mighty_Gravity

Hi guys,

I'm making this thread here as I am tired of Reddit/Discord for posting my stuff and I was pointed here as a better alternative for both.
I'm not super active but will check back frequently to answer any questions.
So here it is :

An intrusive thought came into my head a couple of months ago and I wanted to see if I could make a custom body replacement for my TM2 out of metal.
After a lot of trial and errors, I cam up with a successful version.

Here it is, the first successful version compared to it's wooden counterpart.

After that, some people were interested in getting theirs hands on one, so I obliged and now there were three.

As you can see, I tested different surface finish with those three and they came out pretty well imo. Only the polished one that would require some more work .
(they are available for those who ae interested at the moment of writing).

So there it is, I'm going to continue working on those and improving/changing the design in the future and keep posting and updating on this thread so everything is in one place.

As a side note, many people showed concern that the metal body would become super hot as the wooden body already becomes toasty when used but from the limited use I have with those, I feel like it doesn't become too bad, much like a nice hand warmer in winter for example. My explanation for this is that the increased thermal conductivity of the metal versus the wood is counteracted by the increased thermal mass of the body itself. More testing is required and I plan on doing a full test with an IR thermometer to have accurate reading of the difference in heat for a 20 min session for example. I'll keep everyone updated here when I have results.

P.S. I was asked if I could make wooden bodies using exotic wood but for the moment it's weirdly easier for me to work with metal than wood with the tools I have atm. It's not a strict no but not at the moment. I might try my hand at woodworking in the future and I'll keep updating here if I do too.

Cheers!

sickmanfraud

Hi guys,

I'm making this thread here as I am tired of Reddit/Discord for posting my stuff and I was pointed here as a better alternative for both.
I'm not super active but will check back frequently to answer any questions.
So here it is :

An intrusive thought came into my head a couple of months ago and I wanted to see if I could make a custom body replacement for my TM2 out of metal.
After a lot of trial and errors, I cam up with a successful version.

Here it is, the first successful version compared to it's wooden counterpart.

After that, some people were interested in getting theirs hands on one, so I obliged and now there were three.

As you can see, I tested different surface finish with those three and they came out pretty well imo. Only the polished one that would require some more work .
(they are available for those who ae interested at the moment of writing).

So there it is, I'm going to continue working on those and improving/changing the design in the future and keep posting and updating on this thread so everything is in one place.

As a side note, many people showed concern that the metal body would become super hot as the wooden body already becomes toasty when used but from the limited use I have with those, I feel like it doesn't become too bad, much like a nice hand warmer in winter for example. My explanation for this is that the increased thermal conductivity of the metal versus the wood is counteracted by the increased thermal mass of the body itself. More testing is required and I plan on doing a full test with an IR thermometer to have accurate reading of the difference in heat for a 20 min session for example. I'll keep everyone updated here when I have results.

P.S. I was asked if I could make wooden bodies using exotic wood but for the moment it's weirdly easier for me to work with metal than wood with the tools I have atm. It's not a strict no but not at the moment. I might try my hand at woodworking in the future and I'll keep updating here if I do too.

Cheers!

Welcome to FC @Mighty_Gravity !

What an amazing first post.

Would you also take a person's TM2 and transfer all the electronics?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Wow, pretty cool you were able to pull it off! If there is any concern for heat buildup of the metal body, you could try a scalloped finish on the outside and maybe even inside for sort of heat sink if needed??

Mighty_Gravity

Welcome to FC @Mighty_Gravity !

What an amazing first post.

Would you also take a person's TM2 and transfer all the electronics?
Thanks! I'm glad to have transferred here, it seems a better alternative to dying reddit and such.

Glad you liked the idea!

I can for sure take anyone's TM2 and do the swap. Once you do it a couple of times, it gets quite easy.
I could offer this service instead of only offering the body for those who cant/wont do it. An alternative would be to sell the whole unit with the new body already installed but that would cost more. Maybe a exchange would be another alternative?
I'm still figuring it out

Wow, pretty cool you were able to pull it off! If there is any concern for heat buildup of the metal body, you could try a scalloped finish on the outside and maybe even inside for sort of heat sink if needed??
Thanks!

The heat is not a concern atm for the internal components as the heat of the element itself is not super high even at 10 (it's not scorching the wood or anything). The unit does get toasty after a session but not uncomfortably so (for me at least).
More testing is required and I'm working on a test to compare the wood vs SS heat buildup.

I'm also toying with the idea of a second version with a ribbed exterior. Maybe that could help with the heat and would give a different look.

I'll keep you guys updated!

EarthworldTim

Nice. but why would one want that over the wooden body?

0f8ba68913be90c7283da1d6018168d7b8692d65edc0444a3ef8bf382d678f43.jpg

Looks pretty awesome, congrats on the work!

Madtater

I will be honest, i asked myself that same question.

I would imagine it would be hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but if left inside i suppose it wouldnt matter much. Not Heating up due to usage surprises me though. One sesh probably not, 2 back to back, maybe not, three? Four? I dont know…seems like stainless steel would heat and retain heat easily.

How is the added weight? I would think SS adds a significant amount of weight to the device.

Still, it looks super clean though. Looks very well done.

Madtater,

Mighty_Gravity

Over the wooden body? Dunno, I find it looks cooler imo but that's just me, I like the aesthetic of metal over wood.
Maybe someone else finds that too?
I feel it looks classy.
I'm even toying with the ides of having a gold plated one. Try that with wood lol XD
For real though, it's more of having a custom piece, like an exotic wood or stained wood or a leather sheath, etc. In this case, a stainless steel one.
Not for everyone but it was a fun project nonetheless.

I would imagine it would be hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but if left inside i suppose it wouldnt matter much. Not Heating up due to usage surprises me though. One sesh probably not, 2 back to back, maybe not, three? Four? I dont know…seems like stainless steel would heat and retain heat easily.

How is the added weight? I would think SS adds a significant amount of weight to the device.

The SS does feel cooler in the hand the first time you pick it up. It feels solid. But it's going to be just like any other piece of metal, the thermal conductivity and mass is higher than wood for sure.

For the temperature of the unit while in use, it's not that it doesn't get hot, just not way hotter than the wood body during a session.
I'm more of a lightweight myself so I never go past a single session but using it for multiple session would increase the temperature for sure,
Again, it's too early to say as I still need to figure out the best way of comparing it 'scientifically' to the wooden body, I'm just talking out of my limited testing atm.

for weight, you can see the weight in the last two pictures of the first imgur post. The body itself is about 350g definitely more than the wood but not terribly so.
I joked that it's the first half kilo vape at the moment lol. You get your arm workout at the same time as you sesh.
But for real, the weight difference is surprising at first when you're not used to it but now, I it doesn't bother me.
I could be a detriment depending on the activity you bring it on but at least you can rest assured you wont damage the body (not that it was a problem before lol).

Raskolnikov

Same here. I certainly wouldn't want a metal case but I can imagine that those younger than myself would like it. I love the wood on my TM2. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the work but feels a bit like sticking a body kit on an Aston Martin.

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Doesn't the wood body on the TM act as an insulator? (i.e., holds heat in to improve heating and consistency)

In other words, is solid metal a good body material from a performance perspective?

Photonic,

badbee

That is very cool looking, nice work. I'm not sure a metal body makes sense in terms of functionality, but the aesthetic is great.

badbee,
Top Bottom