Tincture: dry avb after water cure?

Megaton

@justcametomind basically, i had a little pot with ml markings on it, so i filled to the line with AVB and then covered with alcohol.

My first run was ok, but i made the mistake of trying to do a second filter with cheescloth- it basically soaked up over half of my extraction as still had sediment in it. Will need coffee filters for the next run.

CVC4455

Use coffee filters for filtering. But 1st wet the coffee filter with fresh alcohol that way it will absorb alittle less of your tincture.

Also leaving fresh bud or AVB in alcohol at room temperature or for extended periods of time will only pull out more water soluble things, those are usually things that taste bad like chylorphol. The alcohol actually strips the majority of cannabinoids very quickly. So there's really no need to let it sit in alcohol for days or weeks.

The freezer is used to bring the water in the alcohol to a low temperature so it extracts less water soluble things and that will make your tincture taste better.

Water curing is a complete waste of time and lots of unnecessary work when making a tincture in my opinion. cause the freezer does pretty much the same thing.

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
Use coffee filters for filtering. But 1st wet the coffee filter with fresh alcohol that way it will absorb alittle less of your tincture.

Also leaving fresh bud or AVB in alcohol at room temperature or for extended periods of time will only pull out more water soluble things, those are usually things that taste bad like chylorphol. The alcohol actually strips the majority of cannabinoids very quickly. So there's really no need to let it sit in alcohol for days or weeks.

The freezer is used to bring the water in the alcohol to a low temperature so it extracts less water soluble things and that will make your tincture taste better.

Water curing is a complete waste of time and lots of unnecessary work when making a tincture in my opinion. cause the freezer does pretty much the same thing.
Good tips, @CVC4455. I've been water curing, and it does taste better. I've also been putting my tincture in the freezer, but leaving it for weeks. If this isn't needed, I will lessen the time. I will try only the freezer, and shorter amount of time without washing the ABV first to see how that works out. Great to get such wise advise, so I can find the best method. Great to have people such as yourself here on FC so we can learn from each other.
Any hints on reducing the alcohol?

Megaton

Thanks for those tips @CVC4455 , will try that out!

How long would you suggest to leave the mixture in the freezer while extracting? Do you put your alcohol in the freeze before hand too?

hans solo

Left coast Canada
I too think I will ditch the wash.
Now that I think about it after the first water change it was pretty much clear.
My last batch was soaked 21 hours in absinthe at room temperature.
It turned out really good.
Next batch I will do the freezer thing.

hans solo,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

CVC4455

Good tips, @CVC4455. I've been water curing, and it does taste better. I've also been putting my tincture in the freezer, but leaving it for weeks. If this isn't needed, I will lessen the time. I will try only the freezer, and shorter amount of time without washing the ABV first to see how that works out. Great to get such wise advise, so I can find the best method. Great to have people such as yourself here on FC so we can learn from each other.
Any hints on reducing the alcohol?
A water cure for fresh bud to tincture is pointless to me. But with an AVB tincture it might improve the taste.

For evaporation the wider the top of a jar or glass or bowl or whatever should mean more surface area so that speeds up evaporation. You can also use a fan to speed up evaporation. Or you could use like a coffee warmer or anything without flames to heat it up alittle. You don't wanna use flames because alcohol and alcohol vapor could cause a fire or maybe a small explosion near open flames.

Thanks for those tips @CVC4455 , will try that out!

How long would you suggest to leave the mixture in the freezer while extracting? Do you put your alcohol in the freeze before hand too?

I usually buy a bottle of Everclear and just leave it in the freezer so it's always cold. But yeah you wanna let your alcohol freeze beforehand and you want to freeze the bud too. Generally 24 hours is ideal to make sure the liquors as cold as possible but you could do it with less time in the freezer if you can't wait. You just want your bud or AVB and alcohol as cold as possible so any water in the alcohol can't pull much water soluble stuff out. In 190 proof Everclear there's only 5% water but that 5% water is there and it will pull stuff out of the bud but the colder the water is the slower it can pull stuff out of the bud. For a tincture made from fresh bud you could just mix your frozen alcohol with your frozen bud(I freeze it in a glass mason jar that way the glass is cold too) and then shake it for 5 minutes and then strain with a metal strainer. But I usually mix the bud and alcohol and let it sit in the freezer for about 2 hours. This allows a some of the water soluble stuff which is healthy into the tincture. I also use a 2nd rinse in the bud to get any alcohol left in the bud diluted (this can definitely increase overall yeild and potency) then I strain the 2nd rinse and mix it with the 1st. Then evaporate it down to get whatever potency I want.

Buy the way I learned a ton of stuff about tinctures and edibles from grass City on a thread called another tincture recipe try it youll like it. There's tons of great info there but it's over 1,000 pages and some stuff has changed over the years. But the guy who started still posts and helps people learn to make all types of stuff.

Top Bottom