Time to end Bull Fighting?

Nosferatu

They were going to kill the bull at the end??? I wish he ended that bull fighters life

Nosferatu,

SmokingElectricity

saw-the-video-heres-the-pic-15168-1274799314-9.jpg

karma is a bitch

SmokingElectricity,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
I remember my dad, a motorcycle mechanic who identified as Republican, and an avid sharpshooter/hunter, telling me the bulls were made to suffer too much, so they were going to get rid of bull-fights here in America. That was back in the 60's, but we used to watch them together on TV. My dad was always preaching about the clean kill and putting animals out of their misery, and the sanctity of life when it comes to humans, but I think he went to see a few cock and dog fights in his time.

If they didn't pass a law would it have changed here? And is the reason we outlawed those and not rodeo's because of our national identity? are rodeos our equivalent to bull-fights, once you understand the level of suffering the animals are forced to endure?

is this related to national identity? how people identify themselves?

it seems easy to poke at their bullfights, because it's not a part of our national identity, but i'm sure there are lots of people who live in Spain who are not going and don't agree with it, just like there's lots here who wouldn't go to a rodeo, even tho, in general, there isn't a lot being done to educate the public about these things, which is really the only way you get to encourage someone to challenge their own precepts. The TV networks can't do anything that would disrespect the product, and the meat/egg/dairy industries account for, what, a third of all advertising dollars? So it has to come from the ground up, from people talking about it, like this, or through how and what you buy.

VWFringe,

lwien

^^ Good questions.

For me, I just can't understand killing an animal just for sport if one is not going to use it for some kind of resource like food and/or clothing. And that killing should be as quick and painless as possible.

And intentionally hurting an animal for sport takes it to a whole other level.

It is apparent, however, that certain cultural differences are at play here, and I would never attempt to imply that my thoughts on this are any more correct or valid than any others.

An example kind of along the same lines, but different. Killing an animal for food, but this time, it's dogs. Different culture: http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/30/whats-wrong-with-eating-dog-meat/?iref=allsearch

When I was a kid of about 8 years old, I killed a pigeon with a pellet gun. I wasn't hunting but rather just playing around in the backyard and thought it would be cool to do this. I was so guilt ridden, I couldn't sleep for a few days.

So it all goes back to the questions that Fringe posted above. Interesting topic.

lwien,
Top Bottom