This could be bad....................

lwien

MoeOnTheMoon said:
On what basis are they busting these dispensaries?
According to the DA, if any money is exchanged over the counter for bud, they are breaking the law.

lwien,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep

If anyone is interested in helping, here's all the L.A. City Council members' email addresses. Tell them to stop the City Attorney from wasting taxpayer money on closing dispensaries which will lead to tons of law suits as well as prevent people from legally getting their doctor-recommended medicine:

Here's all the councilmen's addresses:

councilmember.labonge@lacity.org, Paul.Koretz@lacity.org, councilman.rosendahl@lacity.org, councilmember.cardenas@lacity.org, councilmember.alarcon@lacity.org, councilmember.parks@lacity.org, jan.perry@lacity.org, councilmember.wesson@lacity.org, councilmember.smith@lacity.org, councilmember.huizar@lacity.org, councilmember.hahn@lacity.org, councilmember.garcetti@lacity.org, councilmember.reyes@lacity.org, councilmember.zine@lacity.org, councildistrict2@lacity.org

City Attorney Carmen A. Trutanich conveniently does not have an email address. You can send him a snail mail or call him. Tell him to stop wasting taxpayer money on this!

MAIL:
The Office of the City Attorney
800 City Hall East
200 N. Main Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
TELEPHONE:
(213) 978-8100
FAX:
(213) 978-8312

Here's the link to what he said on tv today:
http://lacityorgatty.blogspot.com/2009/10/city-attorney-explains-medical.html

Which says:
"Los Angeles City Attorney Carmen Trutanich was invited on NBCs Today in LA show on Saturday morning to give his side of the hot-button Medical Marijuana issue. The show was live at 7:00 at the NBC studios in Burbank and reporter Ted Chen did the questioning.

In the couple minutes allotted, Mr. Trutanich made it very clear that from the Los Angeles City Attorneys point of view, this is a public health and safety issue, and that the Los Angeles City Attorney will NOT prevent the legitimate and legal cultivation, distribution and use of Medical Marijuana within the city of Los Angeles.

Mr. Trutanich made the case that the users of Medical Marijuana dont really know what is in the medicine that they are using, and that if this truly is medicine, it should be tested and examined with the same FDA scrutiny as for example Tylenol. They have a right to know what they are ingesting.

As City Attorney Trutanich explained, this position follows on the heels of three M.M. samples purchased covertly by the City Attorneys office in CD 9 and 14, being screened for their contents by the FDA in Irvine. Two of the samples that came back had extraordinarily high levels of the insecticide Bifenthrin. One sample was found to have 1600 times the legal digestible limit of Bifenthrin, the other just over 85 times. The City Attorney used the analogy of spraying the ant-killing Raid on your salad and then eating it and that if this is indeed medicine, that these kind of ingredients pose a real health and safety risk to those patients taking the medical marijuana.

This automatically led to the on-air discussion of not really knowing the origin of the Marijuana being ingested, as Bifenthrin in those quantities would definitely NOT be used anywhere NEAR California. Prop 215 on which the cultivation, distribution and use of Medical Marijuana within the city of Los Angeles is based, clearly states that the Marijuana is to be cultivated in a collective."

Reporter Ted Chen was fair and to the point.

The issue marches on.

Posted by: Nigel Skeet
Photos by: Nigel Skeet

Edited for accuracy

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I beg everyone to ACT NOW for the future of legal marijuana! I got this today in my email:

You Must Take Action Today Or You WILL Lose Safe Access!

You CAN help STOP this from happening. Now is the time for action!

Los Angeles City Attorney & District Attorney Urges for Public's Help in Passing His Medical Marijuana Ordinance! Call Your Councilman & Demand that this 4th Ordinance not be accepted!

REJECT THIS 4th ORDINANCE.
The newest version of this 4th ordinance is a completely callous piece of legislation that aims to outlaw completely the sale of medical marijuana for cash, to prohibit edibles and concentrates, and makes onsite consumption illegal.

We need a more compassionate & sensible ordinance put in place! It's time to flood city officials with your calls and emails. Please take the time out and let YOUR voice be heard now. It is truly necessary!

It's time for our community to come together. We have only 7 days to act!
Please Click here (http://www.lacity.org/LACITY/YourGovernment/CityCouncil/index.htm) to find and contact your Councilman.

You MUST take action today or you WILL lose safe access.

This is NOT a drill.

councilmember.labonge@lacity.org, Paul.Koretz@lacity.org, councilmember.cardenas@lacity.org, councilmember.alarcon@lacity.org, councilmember.parks@lacity.org, jan.perry@lacity.org, councilmember.wesson@lacity.org, councilmember.smith@lacity.org, councilmember.huizar@lacity.org, councilmember.hahn@lacity.org, councilmember.garcetti@lacity.org, councilmember.reyes@lacity.org, councilmember.zine@lacity.org, councildistrict2@lacity.org

All you have to do is copy and paste those addresses into an email address box [not sure - it might only work in the BCC field], and tell all of them to:

PLEASE REJECT the newest version of this 4th ordinance re medical marijuana because is a completely Draconian piece of legislation that aims to outlaw completely the sale of medical marijuana for cash, to prohibit edibles and concentrates, and makes on-site consumption illegal. We need a law that reflects the spirit of the legislation passed by the people of Los Angeles.

Thanks.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Qbit

cannabanana
MoeOnTheMoon said:
... to prohibit edibles and concentrates ...
WTF? So make the healthier option (for non-vapists) unavailable? Yeah this makes sense. :/:rolleyes:

Qbit,

lwien

Qbit said:
MoeOnTheMoon said:
... to prohibit edibles and concentrates ...
WTF? So make the healthier option (for non-vapists) unavailable? Yeah this makes sense. :/:rolleyes:
Just one of the things that doesn't make sense from this crap. :uhoh:

lwien,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
My guess is, when it comes to this City Attorney, we are dealing with a WACK JOB.

I'm not sure who started the anti-edibles idea, but U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein is sponsoring legislation against it because some kid - in one instance, of course - got ahold of some edibles and got sick or something. Big deal. Kids eat pills all the time, I don't see her outlawing pills. Kids eat dirt. Kids eat all kinds of crap. You shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

They could legalize it and tax it and solve most of the State's budget problems, and create more jobs in one fell swoop! I'm hoping, with Schwarzegger, who's a lame duck Governor in office now (a former stoner), and Jerry Brown (very libertarian) as Attorney General of CA, we might get that done in the next few years. But then, with this City Attorney putting up a fight, who knows what will happen? Our best bet is to get the Council to slap him down!

MoeOnTheMoon,

toutvabien

I love living in Bizarro World where silly things like rationality, logic, and sanity are cast aside.

toutvabien,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
toutvabien said:
I love living in Bizarro World where silly things like rationality, logic, and sanity are cast aside.
Are you referring to the world where politicians run things? You mean... THIS world?

MoeOnTheMoon,

toutvabien

MoeOnTheMoon said:
toutvabien said:
Are you referring to the world where politicians run things? You mean... THIS world?
Unfortunately.

toutvabien,

tuttle

On some other CA cannabis news, Assemblyman Tom Ammiano's bill to legalize marijuana, which was laying languid from some time, was heard before the Assembly Public Safety Committee yesterday. It will be interesting to hear news from that.

tuttle,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I found this at another forum and am posting it here, in hopes some of you in Los Angeles or nearby will call these council members tomorrow (Fri 11-13-09):

ASA needs your help to stop Los Angeles City Attorney Carmen Trutanich from pushing an ordinance through the City Council that could effectively ban medical cannabis collectives in the city. On Monday, October 16, the Planning and Land Use Management (PLUM) Committee and Public Safety Committee will consider this badly flawed draft ordinance. Can you take a moment to call the committee members before that meeting and tell them to reject the City Attorneys ordinance?

A simple phone call can make a big difference! Just call the committee members and say, I am a medical cannabis supporter calling to ask the Councilmember to reject the draft medical cannabis ordinance prepared by City Attorney Carmen Trutanich.

Ed Reyes-Chair (213)-473-7001
councilmember.reyes@lacity.org

Dennis Zine (213)-473-7003
councilmember.zine@lacity.org

Jose Huizar (213)-473-7014
councilmember.huizar@lacity.org

Tony Cardenas (213) -473-7006
councilmember.cardenas@lacity.org

Jan Perry (213)-473-7009
Jan.Perry@lacity.org

Greig Smith (213)-473-7012
councilmember.smith@lacity.org

Join us on Monday, November 16, to ask committee members in person to reject the ordinance, and adopt one that protects patients privacy and ensures that collectives can stay open. This is an important point in the process, because the draft ordinance may go to the full City Council for approval after this committee hearing.

What: Joint PLUM and Public Safety Committee meeting

When: 9:30 AM * Monday, November 16

Where: Room 350, City Hall, 200 N. Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012

Public Transit Info: http://www.mta.net/riding_metro/default.htm

Arrive early to complete a public speakers card if you want to talk with the joint committee on Monday. You may have as little as one minute to speak. Keep your comments brief and on topic!

You can download a copy of the City Attorneys draft ordinance:
http://safeaccessnow.org/downloads/four LA_ord.pdf

You can see ASAs suggested changes at:
http://www.safeaccessnow.org/downloads/ LA_Ord.pdf
Don Duncan
ASA California Campaign Director
Americans for Safe Access (ASA) is the largest national member-based organization of patients, medical professionals, scientists and concerned citizens promoting safe and legal access to cannabis for therapeutic use and research.

MoeOnTheMoon,

trouble ethyl

this is fucking horrible.
the government wasn't too concerned about a U.S. major talking to a known member of al qaeda, but they have time to raid dispensaries?
makes me sick.

trouble ethyl,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
They're meeting early Monday morning. I've written all the council members. The City Attorney is a total A-hole, there's no other word to describe him. He's just playing games, trying to put up roadblocks to dispensaries and patients. I would not be opposed if he were just talking about reducing the number of dispensaries or instituting some fair and reasonable guidelines about how they should do business.
But no, he's trying to make it difficult for any of the collectives to operate by interpreting the law in his own narrow way and trying to put his own values in place of what the people voted for.
The language is such that he doesn't want the dispensaries to make any money, he wants them to be Communistic collectives. We all know the marketplace isn't going to work that way - all that will do is make it nearly impossible for people to get their meds.

MoeOnTheMoon,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Yeah, lwien, it's ridiculous. I already read it ... AND wrote to all the councilmen asking them to vote against it. Since I was like 18, I have never understood people's concern about marijuana. It's always been so clear to me that it is safe and should be legal. And there have been many years in my life when I did not smoke it (or vape it or eat it) and did not miss it.

Won't hurt for anyone reading this to fire off a quick note to the Council members' addresses above.

All you have to say is "Vote no on the fifth revised draft ordinance re medical marijuana because it needs to be re-written to allow cash sales of medical marijuana and otherwise allow for safe and easy access to medical marijuana".

Just copy and paste the addresses above into your email then cut and paste them from there into your TO box of your email.

I can't imagine that the Council are going for this Draconian legislation. I told them this:
"Vote against the safe and easy access of medical marijuana and you will get voted out of office next time around."

I will actually go out of my way to put forth the effort to campaign against all of them who vote for this legislation which goes against the will of the people of California.

MoeOnTheMoon,
Top Bottom