Thinking about dabbing and Dab pens

AEQfan

Hey everyone. I'm a flower vaper, but recently had the opportunity to try a tiny bit of dab. Holy shit, I never knew how such a little amount could make me feel so nice. So I'm looking into dab pens, and tbh, I'm confused as to where to even begin. I ran across one called the Dr. Dabber which has good reviews, but the only reviews I would trust are from here. So has anyone used one of these before? If so, what are you pros and cons of it? Any other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

As for ceramic vs titanium vs others, which is the most effective and healthiest choice? Also, do I have to keep buying new parts such as the atomizers?

Thanks in advance!

Baron23

Hey everyone. I'm a flower vaper, but recently had the opportunity to try a tiny bit of dab. Holy shit, I never knew how such a little amount could make me feel so nice. So I'm looking into dab pens, and tbh, I'm confused as to where to even begin. I ran across one called the Dr. Dabber which has good reviews, but the only reviews I would trust are from here. So has anyone used one of these before? If so, what are you pros and cons of it? Any other recommendations would be appreciated as well.

As for ceramic vs titanium vs others, which is the most effective and healthiest choice? Also, do I have to keep buying new parts such as the atomizers?

Thanks in advance!
I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are members on this. However, I REALLY like the Lynx Hypnos Zero as a concentrate pen. Its a ceramic plate heater in a well made package.

Usually the hit on the Zero is it "ain't ripping enough". The Zero's heat settings are lower than some but to me this gives a beautiful experience and taste without blasting bubbling concentrate all over your mouthpiece, etc.

I have a Galaxy pen and a box mod and Divine Tribes 2.5 atomizer and if I want I can use them to blast at higher temps. But I find the Zero to be just fine and if I go to its highest setting there is no question of getting enough of a rip for me.

The only other one that I am personally interested in is the Source Orb 4 with the "bucket and insert" designed atomizers with inserts in both Ti and quartz. They can't leak insofar as they are inserts with no hole for coil electrical leads like on most atomizers. What I don't know, as they have just started shipping them, is how well/quickly the pen type battery (versus the 40W TC box mod version they sell) can heat up the bucket and the insert.

I think this is a nice package myself: https://www.sourcevapes.com/collect...t-coil-less-quartz-vape-pen?variant=911829851

AEQfan

I'm sure there are as many opinions as there are members on this. However, I REALLY like the Lynx Hypnos Zero as a concentrate pen. Its a ceramic plate heater in a well made package.

Usually the hit on the Zero is it "ain't ripping enough". The Zero's heat settings are lower than some but to me this gives a beautiful experience and taste without blasting bubbling concentrate all over your mouthpiece, etc.

I have a Galaxy pen and a box mod and Divine Tribes 2.5 atomizer and if I want I can use them to blast at higher temps. But I find the Zero to be just fine and if I go to its highest setting there is no question of getting enough of a rip for me.

The only other one that I am personally interested in is the Source Orb 4 with the "bucket and insert" designed atomizers with inserts in both Ti and quartz. They can't leak insofar as they are inserts with no hole for coil electrical leads like on most atomizers. What I don't know, as they have just started shipping them, is how well/quickly the pen type battery (versus the 40W TC box mod version they sell) can heat up the bucket and the insert.

I think this is a nice package myself: https://www.sourcevapes.com/collect...t-coil-less-quartz-vape-pen?variant=911829851

Thanks Baron. From what I'm reading, it looks like parts need to be replaced pretty frequently on these pens. I'm also looking into using my Arizer Air for the concentrates, using the "sandwich" method. Anyone have an opinion using the Arizer Air for dabs?

Baron23

Thanks Baron. From what I'm reading, it looks like parts need to be replaced pretty frequently on these pens. I'm also looking into using my Arizer Air for the concentrates, using the "sandwich" method. Anyone have an opinion using the Arizer Air for dabs?
Ahhhh....not sure what you mean by frequently. Yes, eventually the heating coil will go. Atomizers for the Linx Hypnos Zero (spelled Linx right for a change) is $27 for the whole unit. I have been working with one for 3-4 months, including cleaning it, and the atomizer is still working just fine.

I don't have an Airizer so I can't comment. In general, however, its my personal view that its good to keep sticky concentrate residue and reclaim away from your favorite herb vape. I have a Volcano, for example, and will run a 'sandwich' in it occasionally but will only do so with the dosing capsule/reduced chamber as it puts a bit more between melted concentrate and my beloved Volcano. Also, I only use a very small amount in these sandwiches and still get reclaim steaming out of the top of the dosing capsule.

Melting and evaporating concentrates is a fairly straight forward task compared to properly extracting from whole flowers. So I tend to use something for just that purpose and save my flower vapes for flower.

Something you might be interested in is:
http://ineedhemp.com/product/version-2-5-atomizer-w-eleaf-battery/

I have DT 2.5 atomizers and run them off of an Eleaf 100W TC battery....but that's kind of over kill and 40W TC is more than enough. The whole kit linked above is $60 and I have run DT atomizers for months with no problem. Just stay to 11-14 watts you will be fine! It is my view that people who burn these donut heating coils out do it by WAY over-driving them which ain't necessary and will just results in a lot of wax splattered around the inside of your mouthpiece. I think replacement coils are like $15 so rather reasonable.

Give it some thought.

Cheers

Bad Ocelot

I'm a fan of Source & DT as well. I have the source enail & the atomizers you mentioned, they work quite well. However I use the DT 2.5 & 2.7 most of the time. The source 10cig is great for on the go & ridiculously awesome for the price. I've been curious about the Linx pen myself, but I have a self-imposed vape gagdetry purchase moratorium going on right now, ha.

I've been using the DT donut atomizers for a while now and I've never blown one. Definitely among the most durable concentrate attys out there. I use mine on a Telsa Nano 60w in Ni mode, wattage set to 9.5-10.5 & 230-250F and the flavor is amazing. Definitely wanna get my hands on a 3.0 whenever those come out!

Basically you have pen type set ups and box mod set ups. If you vape the box mod is probably the obvious choice, or if you want a modular system that may require a little fine tuning. If you're looking for more of a plug & play type deal then a pen set up is probably what you want as those are a bit simpler, though with less functionality.

AEQfan

Thanks for the awesome replies guys! So I picked some up last night, and used the sandwich method with my Arizer Extreme Q. It actually worked quite well, but it was a PITA trying to get the damn wax off the tool and into the screen bowl. So I'm going to start looking into attachments that I can use the with Extreme Q. I don't medicate outside of my home, so I guess I don't really need a pen at this point unless it's for convenience.

Anyone have any ideas where I can start my research looking for attachments I can buy to use the Extreme Q for wax?

Also, can I store the wax in my freezer? From what I've read, there is some concern about condensation. I've also read that this can be remedied by putting it in parchment paper and than into a sealed zip lock bag. They reason I'd want to freeze it is for storing and ease of use.

insideoutman

yo-coco-canna-nut-gurt
Thanks for the awesome replies guys! So I picked some up last night, and used the sandwich method with my Arizer Extreme Q. It actually worked quite well, but it was a PITA trying to get the damn wax off the tool and into the screen bowl. So I'm going to start looking into attachments that I can use the with Extreme Q. I don't medicate outside of my home, so I guess I don't really need a pen at this point unless it's for convenience.

Anyone have any ideas where I can start my research looking for attachments I can buy to use the Extreme Q for wax?

Also, can I store the wax in my freezer? From what I've read, there is some concern about condensation. I've also read that this can be remedied by putting it in parchment paper and than into a sealed zip lock bag. They reason I'd want to freeze it is for storing and ease of use.
I bought some of those silicon dab containers for storing, they work really well if the wax isnt doing so well in the parchment. but yea, storing in parchment and bags is fine. if your concentrate is stable, room temp should be fine. .

DT 2.7 VTC mini user myself... and i concur with what @Bad Ocelot and @Baron23 mentioned about em'. :)

insideoutman,
Reactions: AEQfan

Bad Ocelot

Depending on how sticky it is the fridge or freezer will help. Sometimes the freezer can make things too brittle & it will shatter (pun intended) everywhere when you break it up so try the fridge first. The fridge usually makes gooey concentrates stable for long enough to handle to get loaded into a device, but if it's really runny you might have to use the freezer.

The silicon dab containers (no goo etc) work well and aren't too expensive.

Bad Ocelot,

turk

turk
...use the freezer all the time...when you take it out...you have your choice as it acclimates..to when you want to hit it...it will change consistency...slick

turk,

Eatrocks

Thanks in advance!

If your like me and you wanna clear a tiny dab in one hit for a nice clean buzz then get the yocan evolve dual quartz, about 15-20 shipped on ebay. The battery can last you several days and fires very hot.

If you already have an ecig 510 battery mod look at getting an oil atomizer. I just placed an order for a w9 dual titanium coils with porous ceramic wick for about 13 shipped

With all oil attys you should pulse your hits as you draw, 3 second fire with 2 second cool down(drawing on the atty NOT pressing the button)

Eatrocks,

Eatrocks

Really? Do you think this is true with temp controlled boxes?

On a stock yocan quartz yes, or if u you that style. I use a yocan plus quartz atty on my mods around 10-15 watts depending on how much flavor i want.

Eatrocks,

waxdab23

If you already have an ecig 510 battery mod look at getting an oil atomizer. I just placed an order for a w9 dual titanium coils with porous ceramic wick for about 13 shipped

You will also need an Alpha Centauri base in order to fire those coils. They're not for screwing directly onto a battery.

Really? Do you think this is true with temp controlled boxes?

It's not necessary to pulse in temp control mode. However, I learned from the guys at W9 that it's still a good idea, even in temp control mode, to let off power here and there while you're drawing to give the runaway oil a chance to settle back into the heater. I've found this to be solid advice.

waxdab23,
Reactions: Baron23

Eatrocks

You will also need an Alpha Centauri base in order to fire those coils. They're not for screwing directly onto a battery.

Its the 510 mod cart version, comes in ego and 610 as well.

Our KISS cartridge is available in four different thread types to fit any vaporizer on the market:
  • 510 Ego has a skirt to cover up eGo batteries with outer (male) threading visible.
  • 510 Mod fits flush on our Omicron V4, flat-top mod boxes and pens with female threading only.

Eatrocks,
Reactions: waxdab23

waxdab23

Its the 510 mod cart version, comes in ego and 610 as well.

Our KISS cartridge is available in four different thread types to fit any vaporizer on the market:
  • 510 Ego has a skirt to cover up eGo batteries with outer (male) threading visible.
  • 510 Mod fits flush on our Omicron V4, flat-top mod boxes and pens with female threading only.

Oh perfect! Thought you meant you only bought the coil that goes inside of the cartridge.

waxdab23,

Eatrocks

Hoping it will taste like the herc 510 cart, which is also titanium/ceramic, without loading .5 in....local prices in dc are insane, 80 a g is the lowest ive heard...more if u went to one of the 3 brick and mortars in dc

Eatrocks,

waxdab23

Hoping it will taste like the herc 510 cart, which is also titanium/ceramic, without loading .5 in....local prices in dc are insane, 80 a g is the lowest ive heard...more if u went to one of the 3 brick and mortars in dc

You'll love the taste off the KISS coils. As long as you pulse.

waxdab23,
Top Bottom